The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 19, 2007, 07:36 PM   #1
cgbills

fn ps90

I like the FN ps90. I Really like the FN P90. So here is my question. What is the legality of having a gun smith chopping the longer barrel of the ps90 to the length of the p90? Also do the PS90s come with 30 or 50 round mags?
Old January 19, 2007, 07:40 PM   #2
FS2K

You would need to register the PS90 as a SBR

And pay the $200.00 tax. Then it would be legal.

The PS90 comes with 30 round magazines standard. I believe there are even 10 round magazines available for Kommunist states.
Old January 19, 2007, 10:25 PM   #3
ShipWreck

U need to buy a replacement barrel. U can't just chop it. The barrel is actually inside the outer sleeve - the part U see.

I have a PS90 and love it. Before I bought it, I planned to probably do this. I even ordered the ATF forms. Once I got it, I soon saw that even with the long barrel, it is super short. Its still shorter than if I hold a handgun up w/ arms outstretched to fire.

U can get a new barrel that is 10.5" for around $250 or so. But U also much buy a new threaded flash higher. So, U are looking at about $300 total w/ that. Then, the $200 fee for the ATF. $500.

Then, there is an entire procedure in getting the old barrel off. Some w/ experience in doing this gun can do it with some skill. But 90% of the guys taking it off cut the old barrel off behindthe built on flash hider - then U can remove the barrel thru the back of the receiver. U gotta have the receiver in a vise to do all of this.

Then, U keep it in the vise and add the new barrel, and then the flash hider. U need to make special tools, if U don't already have them, in order to get the new barrel and flash hider on. It takes a certain amount of force to reassemble.

When I was gonna do it, I was just gonna pay the extra $100 and send it off to CMMG to do for me. I don't have the equipment, and I wanted to make sure itw as done right. So, $600 total thatw ay.

To me, its not worth another $600 for a few shorter inches. ONce ya have the gun - you get used to the longer barrel. Plus, U get a little bit gain in accuracy and about an extra 200 fps w/ the longer barrel.
Old January 19, 2007, 10:27 PM   #4
ShipWreck

FS2k - for around $5-$6 - U can buy a small piece to convert the 30 rd mag back to the original 50 round cpacity. I did that w/ mine...

Old January 20, 2007, 03:29 PM   #5
Csspecs

I would almost think it would be a hazard to have the barrel much shorter. I handled one at the last gun show and I has impressed by it, its really short and it seems to fit my hands fairly well (unlike several other rifles). Only down side is its like a dollar a round, I would rather buy a FS2000 because it uses .223 and is still darn short.
Old January 20, 2007, 05:48 PM   #6
p99guy

I have one that is SBR'ed back to the original P90 lenth...muzzle awareness isnt a problem at all.
here is mine being shot by a friend..it got a lot of attention at the pistol range from other shooters, so it got passes around abit...everyone that tried it had a blast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UzojC1F4gk

Last edited by p99guy; January 20, 2007 at 11:06 PM.
Old January 20, 2007, 06:25 PM   #7
cheygriz

$1 per round?????

I see it for $18-$20 per box of fifty at most places. That's less than half a dollar. And if you are going to own a little carbine like this, with a 50 round magazine, you rerally need to reload. Then your ammo is under ten cents per round.
Old January 20, 2007, 08:42 PM   #8
ShipWreck

Yes, U beat me too it - I was about to say something about that too.

I think its maybe 40 cents or so a round...
Old January 23, 2007, 11:14 AM   #9
cgbills

So you do have to pay a fee just to shorten the barrel
Old January 23, 2007, 11:20 AM   #10
GalilARM

Shortening the barrel would require gunsmithing, which yes, costs money. In all, it could cost you another 600 or so to turn the gun into an SBR. That may or may not be worth it to you. Seems to me like the ps90 is a gun for a man with money to burn anyway.....
Old January 23, 2007, 02:23 PM   #11
ShipWreck

Yea, $500-$600 to do the conversion,d epending on if U try to do the barrel yourself. That includes the $200 ATF fee for a short barrel gun.

U are also limited in the future to some degree on selling and transporting the gun to other states if U do that.
Old January 23, 2007, 02:31 PM   #12
ShipWreck

I took some new pics this weekend. Before I bought mine, I planned to do the conversion. But I like the way it looks now

Old January 24, 2007, 08:08 PM   #13
Bart Noir

Is that one optical sight on top of another? It seems to me that you must have your head raised waaaay up to see through the top one.

I guess it is just the old rifle shooter in me who thinks that just ain't normal. If I have a stock against my shoulder, I feel the need to have my face against the stock. The old "cheek weld" so I can keep shooting those .5 MOA groups. I did shoot a group that small once! Until the second shot.

Bart Noir

Edited version: OK, now I look carefully at the mount for the EOtech and it is just a mount, not a built-in optical sight. And when I imagine this petite weapon, I think maybe you can get a cheek-weld and still look throught that sight. Can you?

Bart Noir
<Stargate non-fans, disregard> Who would fire one, all the time imagining Amanda Tapping at his side.
Old January 24, 2007, 08:29 PM   #14
ShipWreck

Yes, it is an EOtech on a rail - The stock mount was removed.

Actually, I am right handed and left eye dominate. I love the sight actually. This is the very first time I can use my left eye on a rifle. So, I like the height. I get a great cheek weld w/ it.

And, the height issue is a non issue, anyway - As an AR, with it sighted in at 50 yards, it hits about 2 inches low at 25. I have no plans to shoot past 100 yards with it, and w/o magnification, its not really worth doing that anyway. So, the height over the bore is not a problem.

I've gotten 1/2" groups on a sandbag at 50 yards. That's more than good enough. The gun wasn't designed to be a sniper rifle, either.
Old January 24, 2007, 09:27 PM   #15
Jguy101

What's the running price for these babies (still $1600?)? I've been considering getting a Marlin 336, but I may go for one of these just because they're so sweet.
Old January 24, 2007, 10:10 PM   #16
FS2K

That's one hell of a cool looking carbine Shipwreck...

(Especially the pics with the full 50rd se-thru mags!)

I wouldn't change anything either. No need to SBR that puppy if you ask me.
Old January 25, 2007, 07:42 AM   #17
ShipWreck

Quote:
What's the running price for these babies (still $1600?)? I've been considering getting a Marlin 336, but I may go for one of these just because they're so sweet.
Depends on where ya live. Some dealers are trying to steal your money with $2k prices for black ones.

I've seen $1395 for green and I paid $1499 for a black one (black usually costs a little more and is in limited #'s). Those are decent prices for the gun.
Old January 25, 2007, 02:10 PM   #18
p99guy

Bart Noir...this photo is for you.

and this one would cover both firearms she carrys