The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 22, 2007, 06:30 PM   #1
Playboypenguin

I sandblasted my Guardian

When I got my .380 Guardian this week it had some damage to the top of it. Since it was he last one around I could not be too picky. it was just cosmetic. there were nicks out of the sight rail on the top and scratched on the top of the slide.

I though this might be something I could fix myself so I went and bought a cheap sandblaster.

I filed out the nicks in the rail and sanded down the top of the slide. I then used a glass bead mix through my sandblaster to refinish the top. i think it looks even better now than when it would have been new. the sandblasted look is a little more pearlized than the standard matte finish.

Here is a pic of the top of the gun after sandblasting. the close up is of the area where the worst nicks and scratches were present. I wish I had taken a before pic.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg resurfaced.jpg (149.4 KB, 9240 views)
File Type: jpg sandblasted.jpg (127.2 KB, 5294 views)
Old March 22, 2007, 06:39 PM   #2
fisherman66

Outstanding
Old March 22, 2007, 07:30 PM   #3
Wrascal

Next up for bidding

Wracal bids $250 for this neat toy.

By the way, It looks great!
Old March 22, 2007, 07:31 PM   #4
rantingredneck

Very nice work. Looks brand new.
Old March 22, 2007, 09:05 PM   #5
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Very nice work. Looks brand new.
I hope so...it is new. It just got banged up a little on it's way to me.

I would have never have usually tried anything like this. I am anal about nicks and dents and will not buy guns that have them. In this case there wasjust no other alternative.
Old March 22, 2007, 09:12 PM   #6
DonR101395

That's a great job you did PP.
Old March 23, 2007, 06:44 AM   #7
NCHornet

Excellent job, I know I had some surface scratches in my 32 Guardian that I just bought. Flitz and a lot of elbow grease took out 90% of them. I would do as you have done, but heck, it is a pocket gun, it's going to show some wear. I give it a thumbs up!!
Old March 23, 2007, 03:17 PM   #8
Tom2

Yea it makes alot more sense to bead blast that instead of that aluminum frame. The bead cabinets are cheap, which I like, but it is expensive to get a compressor that has the min. rating for bead blasting. Lot of ones for home use don't go that high. The only drawback is that the media gets inside everything like fine gritty dust so you have alot of cleanup sometimes on gun parts with little holes and crannies. I got a 50 lb bag of mil spec glass beads in the garage I want to give away but I ain't paying shipping, would be a pickup item! Now that you can do that, you can try parkerising regular steel parts.
Old March 23, 2007, 04:56 PM   #9
hpg

It looks very good......hpg
Old March 24, 2007, 03:33 AM   #10
Playboypenguin

Quote:
but it is expensive to get a compressor that has the min. rating for bead blasting. Lot of ones for home use don't go that high. The only drawback is that the media gets inside everything like fine gritty dust so you have alot of cleanup sometimes on gun parts with little holes and crannies.
Luckily I had a few compressors already (from 5gal up to 60gal) so that was not an issue. I did not actually use a cabinet though. I just went out in the yeard and put on a mask and goggles and went to town. I was only doing this small item so I was not worried about revovering and reusing my materials.

As for the cleaning. I must have spent hours getting all the glass beads out of the gun. The first couple times I cleaned and cleaned but when I would go to put it back together I would feel more grit and have to start over.
Old March 31, 2007, 10:07 PM   #11
slow944

PP I picked up a S&W M66 yesterday that was a buyback because of the GREAT pictures of you guns that you keep showing us. Keep up the good work on that part of your posts. The one I got has some slight scratches on the barrel and I was wondering what you would us for removing them since I don't have a blaster. I also have a Colt Python with 6"bbl that has a wavy scratch on it as well I was wondering if they make some kind of blue stick or the like?? I have a new unfire barrel for the Python but I'd like to keep it original as I like guns the way they came. Thanks for any advice....Jerry
Old March 31, 2007, 10:31 PM   #12
Playboypenguin

Quote:
I was wondering what you would us for removing them since I don't have a blaster.
I am far from an expert metal worker so I am probably not the best person to ask. I would at least have to see pics before I could make any suggestions.
Old April 5, 2007, 09:58 PM   #13
Willy T

Looks great...good job.
Old April 5, 2007, 10:03 PM   #14
Sturmgewehre

Badass dude!

It makes me want one!
Old April 6, 2007, 02:39 PM   #15
predecessor

Ahh, a sandblaster! Now why didn't I think of that?

I was sitting around with nothing else to do but add yet another fine gun to my collection and figured, "What the heck. I got all this extra cash sitting around. I think I'll go get me a sandblaster today and then take yet another awesome picture of one of the guns in my collection so that the guys at the Firing Line can think envious thoughts about me."

Just jealous PP

What happend to those pretty pearl grips you had on that Guardian?

Keep inspiring us!
Old April 6, 2007, 06:08 PM   #16
joe1347

So how much better does it shoot now?
Old April 6, 2007, 06:55 PM   #17
ZBoater

NAA has a custom shop you can send your gun into and they will do all sorts of things (like polish, serrations, etc.). They will even install night sights. They do a "gutter snipe" system that is 100% snag free. Very cool

http://www.naaminis.com/cshop2.html
Mossberg 500, M590A1, Remington 870