The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 16, 2007, 02:40 PM   #1
superpelly

Buying a Magnum Research 50 AE for $675.00 (used)

My local Sports store, has Magnum Research 50 AE with a 10 inch barrel for $675.00 Heres a pic of the gun: http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms...sert_Eagle.htm
I'm thinking of purchasing it. Its one heavy pistol. The only reason I want is for my hiking trips in Alaska. I don't think thats to bad of price.
Old May 16, 2007, 02:58 PM   #2
tumbleweed

i had a 44 once and it was way too heavy too pack alot,if i was to go to alaska i would use a revolver personally,other than that its a cool gun and i bet fun too shoot and the price seems good too
Old May 16, 2007, 03:13 PM   #3
PTR 91

God is that the big nosed troll I saw under the bridge. Just joking, thats a good price for that gun. I would think that handgun is a little big and heavy to be carrying around all day.
Old May 16, 2007, 03:16 PM   #4
superpelly

yep, way to heavy . I do carry a 44 mag. I think I'll buy it for the hell of it.
Old May 16, 2007, 03:23 PM   #5
PTR 91

Well it should be accurate. This could be the odd gun you can show your friends or the people at the range.
Old May 16, 2007, 03:30 PM   #6
CarbineCaleb

5lb is impressive Mind you, that's in the same range as some of the newer super-revolvers that are also in the 5lb range - so it's not alone. Certainly a storied gun, and if you have the scratch, might be interesting to experience, even if it turns out to be just a fling .
Old May 16, 2007, 05:00 PM   #7
bigautomatic

Unless the pistol has seen some serious abuse, that is a great price. A new one in the basic black oxide finish is well over $1,000 these days, with the shorter 6" barrel.
With that said, you need to make sure that it is extremely reliable if you plan on using it for SD (for things that want to eat me, I prefer a revolver), because not all DEs are 100% reliable right out of the gate. Weak or worn out springs can cause all sorts of problems with feeding and such, but are easily replaced. Some are very finicky about ammo type and limp wristing. But all of them can be tweaked to be absolutely trustworthy. If you are a big bore fan and if you can afford to plink with it, I gaurantee it is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Old May 16, 2007, 05:09 PM   #8
Trapper L

Before you buy it, might figure out what the cost of shooting will be. If you handload, you're going to be just under a dollar a round. Brass at around .35 and bullets at .55. Add powder and primers and you're getting close to being expensive to shoot. I've been seeing quite a few of these hand cannons for sale and getting cheaper by the day. Most folks can't afford to shoot them anymore. But if that isn't a problem for you, it is a decent deal.
Old May 16, 2007, 05:48 PM   #9
LFOD1776

Buy it!!! That's a very good price, especially if it's in good shape.

Of course, I don't think it's a usable firearm unless you're a very big guy. But I didn't let that stop me from getting one.
Old May 16, 2007, 09:35 PM   #10
RsqVet

Intresting gun, buy it if you like it unless it's busted you can shoot it and sell it for perhaps more.

As to Alaska hiking I suspect you will revise your thoughts on this when you get it and carry it around for awhile.

The Ruger Alaskan is as heavy as I'd like to go for any extended carry.

When you hit 5 pounds there are bolt action rifles in the 6-7 pound range that can be had that I'd pick over that, at liest they can be slung in a variety of ways rather than being locked into a holster.
Old May 16, 2007, 09:40 PM   #11
MarkXIX

Get it. I paid around $1400 for my 6" Brushed Chrome finished .50AE, its a really fun gun and very accurate. Just costs alot to feed the beast. Since i got it at the beginning of August 06 i have put 260 rounds through it, all factory ammo. Expensive lol. Mine has been very reliable actually, i havent gotten any jams or stovepipes with the casings just a couple incidents where i limp wristed and the slide didnt return quiet to battery but i just quickly smacked it shut all the way. I only recall it happening twice, Not a problem. All Desert Eagles are different though. But at that price its nearly a steal, go for it.
Old May 17, 2007, 01:44 AM   #12
Mr Beta

I'd go for it. I saw a used one around here for about 800 used. I've got one and reload it. I can load it for about 50 cents a pop. It's big, it's fun, and not something everyone has.
Old May 19, 2007, 10:58 AM   #13
superpelly

Went to buy it and it was gone .......(in less than 24hrs)