The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 6, 2007, 08:55 PM   #1
Shaun

Oh so frightening

scariest thing ive seen in a long time, and i grew up in DC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si40KldF3r4

i want everyone list one thing that is completely wrong with what happened in this video, believe me there are about 20+
Colt Cobra .38 Spl; Smith & Wesson M10 4"; Colt Detective Special; Ruger Security Six 6"; H&K USPc 40S&W; Smith & Wesson 686P 4"; Kimber Eclipse Pro II; Smith & Wesson M29 6.5"; 3-Screw Ruger Super Blackhawk; Glock 17
Old June 6, 2007, 09:18 PM   #2
nass

don't even get us started...
Old June 6, 2007, 09:31 PM   #3
Webleymkv

Quote:
i want everyone list one thing that is completely wrong with what happened in this video
You mean besides being stupid? OK, I'm not exactly sure why you would carry your gun in a shoulder holster with the slide locked open. Most of the shooting in the beginning of the video while not necessarily unsafe was a big waste of ammo (I highly doubt they hit anything). In the Cops, and Ghetto section, it looked like muzzle control may be a bit lacking but it was hard to tell from that angle. The Robber section was definately unsafe assuming it was a person behind the camera instead of a tripod, stupid either way. Oh, and even though they had several Tomb Raider sections, that kid was nowhere near as good looking as Angelina Jolie.
Old June 6, 2007, 09:36 PM   #4
MDman

At least they are at the range...I think
Old June 6, 2007, 09:42 PM   #5
chopz

racking the slide with finger on the trigger is always a smart move.
Old June 6, 2007, 09:54 PM   #6
Webleymkv

Quote:
racking the slide with finger on the trigger is always a smart move.
I must have missed that one. Good eye.
Old June 6, 2007, 10:02 PM   #7
parrothead2581

The constant riding of the slide forward and allowing the slide to close, at full speed, on an empty chamber. Not scary, just stupid...and irritating.

Was one of those guns a HiPoint?
Old June 7, 2007, 02:05 AM   #8
westphoenix

I didnt even waste my time watching the entire video.
I also caught them racking the slide with the finger either on the trigger or in the trigger guard. I hope they don't learn their lesson the hard way, cause that is one BIG mistake
Old June 7, 2007, 02:06 AM   #9
starshooter231

1) Finger on trigger
2) No holster
3) Poor control of weapon
4) Finger on trigger
5) Cops
6) Ghetto
7) Pointing gun at person
8) With finger on trigger
9) FINGER on trigger
10) IDIOTS with guns
Old June 7, 2007, 02:08 AM   #10
starshooter231

No neither gun was a Hi-Point.
Old June 7, 2007, 06:17 AM   #11
STS3_SSN705

I am 100% positive that the only thing that was safe in that building was the center of that target...
Old June 7, 2007, 08:58 AM   #12
PILMAN

Quote:
The constant riding of the slide forward and allowing the slide to close, at full speed, on an empty chamber. Not scary, just stupid...and irritating.
Whats the issue on pressing the slide release without a round in the chamber?
Old June 7, 2007, 09:03 AM   #13
Big Calhoun

That video should be titled, "What Not To Do"

I really wish YouTube was more like Digg in that you can 'bury' things that are incorrect and inappropriate. IMO, it's that kind of irresponsible video that encourages kids ang young adults to emulate this foolishness. Furthermore, you gotta know that some anti- group, somewhere, is cataloging these videos to further their cause.

You know what, I have an idea. For now on, whenever I see a foolish video like that, I'm going to e-mail the uploader, even if it's not the person in the video, starting with this joker!
Old June 7, 2007, 09:19 AM   #14
parrothead2581

From Hilton Yam, regarding the 1911:

"Always ease the slide down on an empty chamber, never slam it shut from slide lock. The jarring of the slide slamming down on an empty chamber can cause the hammer to follow and the sear nose to crash into the hammer hooks. Your trigger job will last longer if you ease the slide down. It’s not the end of the world if the slide drops on an empty chamber, but it’s not a good habit to develop either."

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=11707 Post #4 should clear things up. Johnny is a heck of a guy. Knows more than I could ever hope to.
Old June 7, 2007, 09:32 AM   #15
PILMAN

Quote:
From Hilton Yam, regarding the 1911:

"Always ease the slide down on an empty chamber, never slam it shut from slide lock. The jarring of the slide slamming down on an empty chamber can cause the hammer to follow and the sear nose to crash into the hammer hooks. Your trigger job will last longer if you ease the slide down. It’s not the end of the world if the slide drops on an empty chamber, but it’s not a good habit to develop either."

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=11707 Post #4 should clear things up. Johnny is a heck of a guy. Knows more than I could ever hope to.
Thanks for clearing that up. I fire a USP but I will probably try to avoid the habbit, i've always pulled the slide back to check if the rounds clear and then use the slide release. I noticed the kid was riding the slide while chambering rounds as well.

My thoughts on it (I don't have sound at work) are negative on this. Very unsafe the way he handeled those guns and gives us firearm owners a bad name. I will be sending a message to him as well to educate him on the matter.

His profile says he's 16 and lives in the Netherlands. Are guns legal in the Netherlands?

Last edited by PILMAN; June 7, 2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old June 7, 2007, 09:53 AM   #16
newerguy

FWIW, I've borrowed bullseye 1911s from guys at my range, and they all asked me to keep the trigger pulled back when dropping the slide on a live round, because they believed it helped the sear last longer.

Whenever I drop the slide on my pistols, I keep it pointed safe, because it just seems to me that if something were going to go wrong, that's when it was going to happen.
Old June 7, 2007, 10:09 AM   #17
PILMAN

I sent him the 4 basic safety rules and some safety stuff, heres his reply.

From: SseanSvL [videos (2) | favorites (1) | friends (0)]
Sent: June 07, 2007
Subject: Re: About your gun video

thanks for you message to me instead of simply cursing at the video.

i'd like to explain some things to you.

First off: This video was never intended to show anyone how great we are with guns, how precise we are. It was intended to entertain people with things you can do with guns.

Second: As a 'freshman ' to firearms i did not no all of these rules but i did know the basic safetyprecautions. I just didnt apply them to the vid since it would kinda ruine the funny things.

Third: i just received a message from a gun supporter telling me that some images in the video where shocking to gunowners in america. At first i did not understand what he meant but after reading the letter twice and discussing the matter with my fellow-video creator we now know that in america the 'firearms for everyone topic' is very actual.

I'm sorry for showing disturbing or shocking images in the video, for we did not know this. This topic isnt as actual in Europe as it is in the states. We decided to make the video a 'private' video in two weeks.

Thank you for you concern in our safety by the way. And i hope you will watch the video once more with you sound on. ( the replay shots sound really awsome :P )
Old June 7, 2007, 10:14 AM   #18
PILMAN

I sent another message, got this reply.

From: SseanSvL [videos (2) | favorites (1) | friends (0)]
Sent: June 07, 2007
Subject: Re: Re: Re: About your gun video
Will do, thanks. Ill think twice before making another video with firearms. thanks for instructions mate. I mean it.

Original Message:

> Original Message:
>
> > hi pilman,
> >
> > thanks for you mes...
Old June 7, 2007, 10:59 AM   #19
Big Calhoun

Hehe, I wonder if it was my note to him that he was referring to. I sent a nice, non-offensive note just to voice some opinions about the video and how its contents could be viewed:

Quote:
Hi SseanSvL:

I had a chance to watch the video you posted of a session at a shooting range. As a supporter of firearms and the right to carry firearms, I must share that I and others were deeply disturbed by the videos contents.

In the United States, gun control and the issue of gun ownership is a very contentious issues. Opinions on all sides of the issues run very strong. As such, various groups are always looking for a way to exploit the message the other side is trying to promote.

Your video demonstrated several negative aspects of gun ownership and improper technique. And please, don't take this as a bash against you. As I explain some of my points, I hope you'll be able to appreciate where I'm coming from.

One example is that in several scenes, poor muzzle and trigger control are exhibited. Markmanship requires many hours of training and a strong sense of discipline. Doing things such as loading and charging a magazine with your finger on the trigger goes against the basic tenants of gun safety. Plus you have to consider that younger viewers who may have limited or no experience with weapons would find your video fascinating and cool, and emulate the techniques displayed.

It's much like dealing with a small child. In the beginning, you watch what you say around small children because they are in learning stages and don't have all the references they need. So if you use inappropriate language, a small child not understanding why it is inapproproiate, is likely to emulate b/c they see/hear an adult doing the same thing and see it as being, "OK". The same applies here, a young adult can view your video and decide to emulate the same practices, possibly jeapordizing their lives and people around them.

Another example is your Lara Croft scene where you shoot two pistols with two hands. It touches back upon the issue of having those actions emulated by the uniniated or uninformed. Equally as important is that scene is exactely the type of video that gun control groups like to sieze upon. Certain groups could use your video and others like it to portray gun owners as reckless, irresponsible, and immature. Grant it, not all gun owners are the. 'good ones', but a majority are. And it does us 'good ones' a disservice to be categorized based on a random video.

All I ask is that you please consider these points as you continue to practice your markmanship and if you decide to post more shooting videos. I'd hazard to say that 99.99999 percent of gun owners like a good shooting video. But, again, haphazard techniques and performance do no one any type of service and only hurt the overall cause.

Good luck with your future shooting adventures and I appreciate you taking the time to read this note.
And got this back in response:

Quote:
Hi BigCalhoun,

i have discussed this matter with the friend i made the video with. We both understand the point you where trying to make in your letter. We both know about the firearms issues that is at hand in the states. We just didnt really think about it since this is not an active problem in Europe. Now as fellow gunowners we understand that this video could be used as an example for recless use of guns. So we have decided to make this video a private video. We wont do this immediatly but surely within 2 weeks.

Do believe that this was just a vid to entertain you.

See us as one of few who would do this for u since if u look at the other comments on my vid , people from europe have no respect for american comments about guns after seeing documentry's like 'bowling for columbine '.

My apoligies for the false message that this video brought with itself.
Despite the video contents, I'd shoot with him now. I get the impression he was just having a little fun and didn't realize how it would be viewed in other areas with differing circumstances concerning gun ownership and laws.

Each one, teach one...
Old June 7, 2007, 11:12 AM   #20
PILMAN

Well said Big Calhoun.

I sent him a few links regarding gun control in America and how it's ineffective including a link to gunfacts.info, he sent me back a response stating how it was "interesting" most of the crime was in areas with strict gun control so hopefully this will give him a better understanding on the gun culture in America and the misconceptions. Overall I think he realizes his mistakes now and hopefully he will learn from them, call it "tough love" but it is necessary to inform people when they are doing something wrong even if it may embarrass them on the internet to keep them from doing something stupid that may end up costing them their life. It's also important to set a good example for future gun owners and improve the image of the average gun owner in this country.
Old June 7, 2007, 05:18 PM   #21
AngusPodgorney

The "cup n saucer" and one-hand holds were really working well for them... What a waste of space!
Old June 7, 2007, 05:38 PM   #22
Hallucinator

Did this guy ever hit the target? This is the kind of idiot that gives us a bad name.
Old June 7, 2007, 08:14 PM   #23
Shaun

as i watched this video i thought of all the times ive been to "shadier" gun ranges and i look around at the yahoos that are shooting. There have been times that i walked into the range, saw the people shooting, and left, range officer be damned. These kind of people are also the reason i wear a loaded CCW to the public range.

One memory stands out the most, i was an outdoor pistol range in pennsylvania where there is no range officer. The pistol range is about 30 yards down a hill from the place where you park and secluded from the road and rifle range. I was shooting some revolvers alone and three guys came down with a grocery bag full of ammo and 2 stainless semi-autos (they looked like rugers). They were younger about 20ish, and wearing urban/hiphop style clothes, which i didnt mind since i grew up in DC but i also noticed they had no ear or eye protection. I made it look like i was inspecting my revolvers while they started to shoot, they didnt turn to ask if i was ready or even really acknowledge me. The just started blasting, it was scary to watch them. No grouping of shots, random paper hits, even at 7 yards. Very much like the kids in the video.

After they finished their first mags i asked if i could go change my target. Because i usually leave my guns sitting action open on the bench, I kept looking over at them as i walked out to change my paper. I began noticing them looking at me while i was shooting and it started to feel weird. After about 15 minutes of this I started getting a bad vibe especially when i noticed one would stand behind the other with a loaded gun in hand while the other shot, then switch. I didnt like someone just holding a loaded gun and not shooting it so I decided at this point it was time to leave. I didnt want things to be awkward, because ive found that sometimes people are fine until YOU start acting weird. I knew i had a 100 foot walk back to my car and started to think, "what if they try and take my guns? or worse?" So while they were reloading, i slipped my 1911 out of my IWB holster under my shirt. I emptied a mag into my target about as fast as i could shoot, slammed in the second mag, ran the slide home, and gave them a quick glance. All three were looking at me. I grabbed my range bag and started walking back to my car, still holding my gun in my right hand. I didnt reholster until i got back to my car. Needless to say i was fine and might have over reacted, but I dont like to take chances around ignorant people holding firearms.
Colt Cobra .38 Spl; Smith & Wesson M10 4"; Colt Detective Special; Ruger Security Six 6"; H&K USPc 40S&W; Smith & Wesson 686P 4"; Kimber Eclipse Pro II; Smith & Wesson M29 6.5"; 3-Screw Ruger Super Blackhawk; Glock 17
Old June 8, 2007, 12:11 AM   #24
Tokamak

What bothers me...

This looks like a fetish video.

There just seems to be something unhealthy about these guy's attitudes towards guns.

For example, the SLOOOW motion ejection of rounds?! What was that about?

Anyone else see this this way?
Old June 8, 2007, 06:25 AM   #25
Black Adder LXX

PILMAN and BIG CALHOUN, you two are to be commended for how you took it up with them and actually got them to listen. When I saw the video, all I could think was 'what's my account info at YouTube?' so I could leave them a note telling them they are idiots for everyone to see. Nicely done!

side note: i actually signed up for youtube so I could leave a message for some kids where one actually stood against a tree and SHOT A GLASS BOTTLE OFF HIS FRIEND'S HEAD! maybe you can convince those idiots, too