The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 26, 2007, 11:28 AM   #1
welshdragon

remington 700 sps tactical 223

hi all new to this site so be gentle if its been done before im sorry whats peoples thoughts about the remington 700 sps tactical 223

all the best W.D
Old June 26, 2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Vortexyz

Hi Dragon welcome to the firingline. Im pretty new here myself. Ive read a couple of reviews on the SPS tactical but have not handled one personally. Apparently its a good entry level tactical rifle, but not quite as good as something like a Remington 700P. Here's a link to one of the better reviews: http://www.snipercentral.com/spstactical.htm. Hope it helps.
Old June 27, 2007, 07:40 AM   #3
welshdragon

hi vortexyz thank you for the info

all the best W.D
Old June 27, 2007, 10:14 PM   #4
FailureByDesign

Dragon, the remington 700 sps is an awesome rifle. for the money you cant beat it. Alot of people go with the savage also, but its preference. Take a look at a review i wrote up a few months ago. Same exact rifle, just 22-250. good luck, please let me know if you have any questions!!

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=245507
Old June 28, 2007, 04:35 AM   #5
629 shooter

Actually the SPS Tactical differs from the SPS Varmint in the stock and barrel. The Tactical utilizing a Hogue overmolded stock with pillar bedding and the shorter 20" barrel.

Also when comparing the .223s between the 2 models the Varmint uses the 1 in 12" twist barrel where the Tactical I hear, has the 1 in 9" twist which can fire the heavier bullets like the 69 grain match.
Old June 30, 2007, 02:57 AM   #6
welshdragon

thank you all but a big thank you too 629 shooter ive been tryin to find out what twist the barrel was /1 in 9 i put it up on a few other sites nobody new

thank you all again W.D
Old August 8, 2011, 03:17 PM   #7
mdclark54

Question

I have an Interarms Mini Mark X 223. I have had it 12-15 years. Do you think it will handle 5x56 loads? It chambers them fine.

Thanks in advance
Mike
Old August 8, 2011, 08:22 PM   #8
golfnutrlv

Remington's are great rifles. A lot of people say they are not accurate, but that's just not true. My 700 SPS Varmint in .308 is very accurate.

Completely stock, other than the Timney trigger I just put in.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old August 8, 2011, 10:37 PM   #9
Dana C

I bought a Rem SPS 20" Tactical, w/o the threaded barrel. I started the break in with Rem. UMC white/green box 150s not expecting much. I did the usual shoot 3-4 and clean etc. At about 15 rounds things got better!
I moved the target back from about 50 yards to 100 and changed to Federal 180 Gr. soft points. After allowing for the bullet weight and the additional recoil, I thought I was seeing things. I shot a group around .33" and another at .50. After letting the barrel cool, I went back to the cheapie 150 gr. Rem. UMC's and after getting it together with my trigger pull, I shot another .5 or less group with cheap ammo.
Needless to say, I am very pleased. The trigger is virtually w/o creep and breaks cleanly and can be adusted down a bit which I will do. The Nikon Monarch 5-20 is perfect for the rifle and I am believer in what a short barreled rifle can do.
I should mention that it shot almost as well at 200 yards. I had one group with good ammo just under an inch. 200 yard was the limit at the quarry but what the rifle did on a hot day, over a truck hood was phenominal!
Old August 9, 2011, 06:51 AM   #10
pilpens

I have a SPS tactical in .223 20" with the older x-mark trigger.

Had to break the seal on the trigger screws to lower the trigger pull. Changed the stock with B&C medalist. With the scope, the setup is heavy. My current setup is so heavy that I have only shot it on the bench.
Trigger feel is not the greatest but not terrible after lowering the pull weight.
Have not shot the rifle much - approximately 400 rounds since I got it 2 or 3 years ago. Two shots in the same hole is common with remington ammo from walmart at 50 yards. Average 5 shot groups at 50 yards is approx .5" and 1.5" at 100 yards. I think the rifle can do better. Groups were less consistent with the rubber stock on.
If I were to do it again, I would go with the the lighter B&C stock with the hook.
Sometimes, I wish that the barrel was not so heavy - medium weight would be nicer.
Consider price of replacement stock. B&C is an additional $200
==============
Seems like accuracy with 26" varmint model is better (internet data only) than the 20". Sometimes I wonder If I should have gotten it instead.

Last edited by pilpens; August 9, 2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old August 9, 2011, 07:12 AM   #11
loose_holster_dan

love my sps tactical in 308. very very accurate. feels great. manageable size.

"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old August 9, 2011, 03:28 PM   #12
Dana C

Nice looking rifle. Did you put an after market magazine adaptor / trigger & floor plate assembly on your SPS? I have the 20" .308 w/o the threaded muzzle and I couldn't see where you could get a magazine version in the Remmington catalogue.
Old August 9, 2011, 08:13 PM   #13
Que

This evening I'm getting that very rifle ready for a range trip in a few days. There are better rifles but few as good as an entry point to tacticals. Put some decent glass on it and you will be well rewarded. It is one rifle that makes me grin and approach the target with anticipation.

Btw, in my opinion the Hogue overmolded stock is at the very minimum seviceable and for me far more than adequate. In general I won't hesitate to change a stock, and usually one like this would be a prime candidate for an upgrade, but I'm liking the Hogue.
Old August 14, 2011, 05:12 PM   #14
loose_holster_dan

it's a mag plate extension. non-removable.
Old August 15, 2011, 12:03 AM   #15
Dana C

How do you like the magazine adaptor? Is Mag Plate the manufacturer? I have been look at some on line and most have not had real encouraging reviews.
Old August 15, 2011, 03:29 PM   #16
loose_holster_dan

i honestly don't remember who makes it. i just googled a mag plate extender and that one came up.

it was a pain in the butt to install, and the craftsmanship is definitely sub-par, but it works.

my major complaint is the obvious gap along the seam. would it have been that hard to gasket the thing?