The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 18, 2007, 02:29 PM   #1
IrvJr

Twist rate for Remington SPS Tactical in .223

Any Remington SPS Tactical owners out there with the .223 caliber gun? If so, what's the twist rate on your gun - is it 1 in 9"?

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...el_700_SPS.asp

Thanks!
Old October 18, 2007, 02:43 PM   #2
629 shooter

I had posted this same question over on snipercentral.com and was informed that it was the 1 in 9" twist for the SPS Tactical - I picked up the SPS Varmint last week which has the 1 in 12" twist.
Old October 18, 2007, 02:51 PM   #3
IrvJr

Thanks 629Shooter.

I called Remington and the customer support rep clarified the situation for me. She said the early 700 SPS Tacticals have a 1 in 12" twist (varmit barrel) but the more recent ones have a 1 in 9" twist. She said the only way you can tell (besides from examining the actual rifling on the barrel) would be to call in the serial number and they can determine what the twist rate on the Tactical rifle is.

How do you like your new SPS Varmit gun? They look really nice!
Old October 18, 2007, 08:06 PM   #4
629 shooter

Quote:
How do you like your new SPS Varmit gun? They look really nice!
I have not fired it yet , I did install the barreled action in a HS Precision stock which is a major upgrade over the plastic unit. I am also going to install a Jewell trigger.

I also have a 700LTR in .223 which does have the 1 in 9" twist and it is a great shooter , in fact the most accurate rifle I have ever owned.
Old October 19, 2007, 06:30 PM   #5
jlmurphy

Twist rate

Anyone can determine the rate of rifling on their barrels. Use a dowel or cleaning rod and stiff patch, start the patch at the muzzle and mark the rod, I use a piece of tape to flag the rod to see when it has made one revolution as it is pushed down the barrel. Mark the rod again and measure the distance to make one revolution, that is your twist rate.
Old October 21, 2007, 10:16 AM   #6
Black Squirrel

Quote:
I called Remington and the customer support rep clarified the situation for me. She said the early 700 SPS Tacticals have a 1 in 12" twist (varmit barrel) but the more recent ones have a 1 in 9" twist. She said the only way you can tell (besides from examining the actual rifling on the barrel) would be to call in the serial number and they can determine what the twist rate on the Tactical rifle is.

AFAIK, there's 2 rifles in question.

First one is the SPS VARMINT, which is a 26" 1/12 (has hard plastic stock)

Second is the SPS TACTICAL, which is a 20" 1/9 (has Hogue stock)

Are you saying Remington told you that some of the TACTICAL's come in 1/12 while (I assume) they are in the process of making them 1/9? If so, that is extremely DECEPTIVE by Remington, being that this has been listed on their site as 1/9 (site no longer decribes twists...used to...hmm). OR, is the varmint model being confused with the tactical?

The whole purpose of buying the TACTICAL is because it is 1/9 (more so than being short at 20" vs. 26"). People shooting 69gr bullets and getting keyholes are going to be extremely pissed off.
Old October 21, 2007, 12:25 PM   #7
629 shooter

Maybe? , she meant the early tactical 700 series in .223 like the 700P?
Old October 23, 2007, 02:07 PM   #8
Black Squirrel

Confirmed it with Remington. The previous poster was right.

Remington said the first 125 rifles are 1/12. The rest are 1/9. These are the 20" Tacticals I am speaking about (to clarify).

Only way to tell is via serial number by calling them.