The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 15, 2008, 08:37 PM   #1
familywgn

Charter Arms Pink Revolver

Yes, I know it sounds goofy, but my wife likes the idea of a pink revolver

and it would match all her other stuff.

Anyway, I'm just excited about getting her into shooting after the last couple years of me doing it. Now all I have to do, is find some good, inexpensive, low recoil .38.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Beretta Neos .22
Old January 15, 2008, 09:12 PM   #2
Shadi Khalil

winchester white box is as cheap and as low recoil as i know of. thats with out going into the real dirty stuff.
Old January 15, 2008, 10:42 PM   #3
Casimer

148gr wadcutters are pretty mild, but you don't tend to find them at gun retailers. BlackHills and Winchester sell these. You can also find them through a lot of the smaller ammo companies. It's a popular target load.

There are also some cowboy loads that are very mild, but these tend to be a a little pricey.
Old January 15, 2008, 11:02 PM   #4
Sgt.Fathead

Yowza!

That is one ugly gun and, good for you getting the wife into shooting! My dear bride likes her revolvers stainless but if she wanted a lime green one, I suppose I'd go for it. They tell me the Glock comes pink, too.

I will add that the Winchester White box .38 Specials are nicely priced and low recoil as has been posted prior. I also agree with a previous poster that lead cowboy action loads are low recoil and very dirty, too. She'll get something of a strong kick regardless with that short barrel.

What are the odds you can talk her into a longer barrel and perhaps a pink holster?
Old January 15, 2008, 11:32 PM   #5
zippyfusenet

Too plain! That gun needs mother-of-pearl grips and gold-plated trigger and hammer.
Old January 16, 2008, 06:38 AM   #6
NCHornet

Do you know anybody who handloads? I highly suggest HBWC's for the 38, loaded over some Bullseye and you have some fun plinking. You can even load them bacwards for a deep HP. The nice thing about these bullets is they punch nice round holes in a target, can be loaded mild, and a fairly cheap.
Congrats on getting your better half in the game!!
NCH
Old January 16, 2008, 09:07 AM   #7
Driveout02

I think Taurus makes a pink gun too...?
Old January 16, 2008, 11:31 AM   #8
familywgn

Thanks for the ideas.

Quote:
Do you know anybody who handloads? I highly suggest HBWC's for the 38, loaded over some Bullseye and you have some fun plinking. You can even load them bacwards for a deep HP. The nice thing about these bullets is they punch nice round holes in a target, can be loaded mild, and a fairly cheap. as per NCHornet
I have been thinking of reloading lately, as my .357 is expensive to feed. What does HBWC stand for?

Now if I can just get my wife a more suitable starting gun.
Beretta Neos .22
Old January 16, 2008, 03:00 PM   #9
mike53

The idea of carrying a gun is to be taken serioulsy when you pull it but to never have to use it on a human.

A gun that looks like a gun might scare a bad guy away but a pink gun might not. He then advances because he thinks has found an easy mark, he dies, you get sued, and your license is tied up forever.

Get a normal looking gun.
Old January 16, 2008, 05:48 PM   #10
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
A gun that looks like a gun might scare a bad guy away but a pink gun might not. He then advances because he thinks has found an easy mark, he dies, you get sued, and your license is tied up forever.
Could you perhaps find some cases that illustrate this? Or are we speculating?
Old January 16, 2008, 05:49 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'd guess that a pink revolver might actually cause a bad guy to die from a nasty case of hysterical laughter.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 16, 2008, 05:57 PM   #12
KyJim

For low to moderate recoil, I would also suggest a full wadcutter. I believe Sellier and Bellot still makes them.

As far as the intimidation factor is concerned, it could be worse. She might want a Taurus .22 in pink!

Old January 16, 2008, 06:13 PM   #13
familywgn

Thanks for the wadcutter info, KyJim.

I'll make sure she doesn't see 'that' pink gun.
Beretta Neos .22
Old January 16, 2008, 06:27 PM   #14
Shadi Khalil

The idea of carrying a gun is to be taken serioulsy when you pull it but to never have to use it on a human.

Get a normal looking gun.

As far as the law goes in VA, if that gun comes out its because your life is in iniment danger, so if you pull that gun you are shooting to defend your life. Anything else could get you a brandishing charge. If she is properly trained, thats how she will react. I dont see a pink gun being any issue at that point.
Old January 16, 2008, 06:37 PM   #15
garyl43

I wonder if BG's would take this seriously: http://www.glamguns.com/hk47.html ?
Old January 16, 2008, 07:16 PM   #16
Tom2

A good load for a pink revolver is your standard miniature marshmallow over 2.5 grains of Bullseye. Great for practice indoors and if you pick them up they are toasted for a yummy post-practice snack!
Old January 16, 2008, 07:45 PM   #17
KyJim

I had forgotten that Buffalo Bore makes a wadcutter specifically for defensive purposes in mind from a short barrel .38. See, http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunitio...htm#standard38

The Sellier and Bellot wadcutters are much less expensive and might be more useful as practice rounds.
Old January 16, 2008, 08:49 PM   #18
kymasabe

The absolutely lightest .38sp load is the .38sp Short made by Magtech. They're a lead, round nosed round and barely recoil. My 11 year old daughter has been shooting them in my S&W model 36 for over a year now as well as my Kel-Tec P32 with standard practice ammo. She prefers the weight of the .38 and the light recoil. It may not be the best defense round but for recoil sensitive ladies, I'd take light recoil and accurate shot placement over heavy recoil, fear of the gun, and inaccuracy.
Old January 16, 2008, 09:16 PM   #19
Kreyzhorse

I think the idea of a pink gun silly, but, if he opens the door and gets others involved in shooting, I'm all for it. I would drag my feet buying my wife one, but if really got her into shooting and/or CCW, I would certainly buy one for her.
Old January 17, 2008, 01:49 PM   #20
familywgn

I pretty sure that whatever the colour, if you pull a gun on a BG let him think what he wants till you shoot him. If I pull my G23 and he thinks it an airsoft, so be it.

My wife is actually interested in shooting, and I think its great. For too long, she has been uninterested. Plus, I figured that if see needed to use my G23 that the recoil might spook her and give a BG an opportunity. That weighs heavily on my mind.

So, she like a pink revolver. She wants something with style and that's comfortable to shoot. As her husband, it my duty to help her find what she is comfortable with.

Thanks again for all the suggestions,
Beretta Neos .22
Old January 17, 2008, 02:41 PM   #21
BillCA

Famlywgn,

Stick with the Winchester/USA or Federal American Eagle 130-gr FMJ ammo for target practice. It is loaded very close to the match wadcutter load (148gr full wadcutter) and generally low priced.

Also let her try some 158-gr RNL for practice. The heavier bullet will have a bit more recoil but the low velocity should mediate that. If she can handle that, let her try some 158gr +P LSWC-HP (lead semiwadcutter) rounds as a carry load. These are a bit more in recoil but should be controllable. If she doesn't like those, let her carry match wadcutters.
Old January 17, 2008, 02:50 PM   #22
nutty ned

Sweet
Old January 17, 2008, 04:11 PM   #23
NCHornet

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you but HBWC STANDS FOR hollow base wad cutter, they have a deep hollow base on one end and flat face on the other. This is by far one of the best rounds to load for a beginner. You can get a single stage press pretty cheap and some bullseye powder and you can have all kinds of fun and do it cheap. If you want to go real cheap, ask the local tire shop to save their old tire weights for you. These are perfect for making your own bullets. I did this for a while and just found it easier to buy them already made, but it was fun. I now don't shoot any lead through my pistols for ease of cleaning.
Good Luck
NCH