The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 18, 2008, 09:06 PM   #1
JimKo

642,442,or638

Which snub for pocket carry and why? SW 642 , 442 , or the 638 ? Please just these snubbies only. Not interested in the little autos . Any advantages of one over another? Is one finish better than another?
Old February 18, 2008, 09:27 PM   #2
Shadi Khalil

Well the only difference between the 642 and the 442 is the finish. As for the 638, alot of people say the hammer is a useless on a carry snub. I agree but I still like them. I had the taurus equivlent of the BG and I loved it. I shot it very well DAO style but I liked the cocking option for testing new loads. The only downside (which was never an issue for me) was the chance of pocket foul getting caught in the exposed area where the hammer is. If it was up to me, I would go for the 442. I prefer black/blued guns for carry and the finish is supposed to hold up better on the 442. However, I think the bodyguard models give you the option of .357, if im right those are all steel models only. Either way you go, they are all great choices.
Old February 18, 2008, 09:40 PM   #3
Technosavant

As said, 642 vs. 442 is just a color preference. Nothing more.

As for x42 vs. 638, it just depends on whether you think you'd want the ability to fire single action or not. I bought a 642, but in retrospect, I think I might have gone with the 638. Still, though, any of them would be just fine- I don't think you would be poorly served by any of them.
Old February 18, 2008, 10:47 PM   #4
jaydubya

I bought my 637 four years ago as a HD/SD weapon. If I had known then what I know now, I would have bought the 642 instead. I practice with my 637 every week or so, almost always double action at ten and five yards. The few times I shoot single action at ten yards, I do worse!

Along that same line, I am less accurate with my Browning Hi Power at ten yards. When you have thirteen rounds, you think one way. When you have five, you think another way.
Cordially, Jack
Old February 18, 2008, 11:22 PM   #5
dawgfvr

You actually are less accurate with the Browning Hi-Power? At ten yards? At that distance you should be able to place every round within the circumferance of a silver dollar if not smaller...on a bad day. Somehting very wrong with that auto...get it to a gunsmith and have it looked at.
Old February 19, 2008, 12:06 AM   #6
johnm1

I have the 638 and love it. I put a lot of rounds through it and I do find times I use the single action mode. With standard pressue loads I wouldn't call it pleasant but you get used to it. I have fun with my guns and sometimes that means single action. Mostly when I'm shooting with my daughters.

Considering that I always use a pocket holster I don't see a drawback to the 638 Bodyguard style. I am small and some of my pockets are just a little short and the butt of the gun can be seen. W/O the holster this problem goes away on some of my pockets. But I never go w/o a pocket holster because it always places the gun in the correct position. I sometimes put a tissue on top of the butt to hide it though I doubt a casual observer could tell it was the butt of a gun. W/O a pocket holster I suspect the 42 models would hide the butt better at the expense of gun position.

6(4)42 vs 638....I guess it comes down to if you plan to have fun with it or just for SD. I am picky about clean guns and have never had any pocket junk get in the hammer shroud.

Good luck and as others have said you can't go wrong with either. I like the stainless/aluminum finish on my 638 and it is durable enough but I would actually prefer a blued gun even though the finish isn't as durable. Blue just looks better to me on a gun.
Old February 19, 2008, 12:14 AM   #7
MontyCop05

I kno your said 642, 442, and 638....consider the 340?

As said before the only difference between the 642 & 442 is the color. 638 is not a good a choice b/c of the hammer IMO.

Just my .02
Old February 19, 2008, 01:43 AM   #8
qwik

I went looking for the 442, and the price around these parts were much more $$$, left with 642 , i wanted blue but not 100$ worth of blue
Old February 19, 2008, 07:12 AM   #9
DMK

I'd highly recommend either the 642(which I have) or 442. For self defense, you'll want to practice double action shooting. For concealed carry, an exposed hammer can act like a big hook to catch on your clothing as you try to draw and has little benefit.
Old February 19, 2008, 08:51 AM   #10
JimKo

Thanks for the responses so far. I know the 638 has the flush hammer and shouldn`t snag on anything when drawing from the pocket . I do have a Sp101 Ruger that I will keep. Would that be a good enough equivalent to practice with so as not to shoot the SW as much, to lessen wear? Also, on the Ruger I do occasionally use the Single action mainly as a sighting in shots to see what the point of impact is. I find it more accurate.Should that be any concern to my choice?
Old February 19, 2008, 11:24 AM   #11
Technosavant

I wouldn't worry that much about wear on a 642 or 638 unless you were running really hot loads through them. To be quite honest, it isn't terribly comfortable to shoot, so it would take years and years to get enough rounds through one to wear it out.

As for the "single action to see where the sights go," that's why (in retrospect) I wish I had gone for the 638. It's just easier to see where a load prints in relation to the sights when you can fire a few in single action mode. It is possible to "stage" the DAO trigger on the 642 just shy of the breaking point (thus getting an effectively single action pull), but true SA capability might be useful.
Old February 19, 2008, 11:59 AM   #12
glockman19

I went with the 642. I liked it so much I got a 442 too. The S&W j-frames are great little guns. hammerless design great for pocket carry CCW.
Old February 19, 2008, 12:48 PM   #13
Neophyte1

638 "Yes"

Jimko: Sir; them little 'lead chunkers'' are hard to beat. A 638 will travel well either your front or rear pocket. It'll not get ignorant when "JERKED" from said pocket.
Primarily I shoot single action; accuracy is up to the shooter. Out to distances which it wasn't designed for you can get amazing results.

Having messed about @100yds the trusty 638 does admirably. Will never take place of my single shooters.

When choosing; my question; how would it ride and shoot could I handle it either single action or double?

Does both without hiccuping.

Part of your question? Should or could you overshoot the 638? NO. Shoot it.
Rugers are in a different class when BLASTING; 638 will shoot as intended.

By the standards of most
Old February 19, 2008, 04:35 PM   #14
somerled

The 642/442 isn't as apt to get lint, hay, etc., in the lockworks. I live in a rural area and carry snubs in my chore coat pockets at times. My 642 is surprisingly smooth and I shoot well with it out to 25 yards despite it being DAO. For longer-range shooting, the ability to cock the 638 would be a plus. If it is the only thing one's got access to, it might be called upon for longer-range work.
Old February 19, 2008, 04:44 PM   #15
KyJim

I carry a 637 in an IWB or OWB holster. I like the option of cocking and firing single action. For pocket carry, I've started carrying a Model 38 Airweight, an earlier version of the 638, to avoid the snag factor. It still allows single action firing. If I could only get one, it would probably be a 638.
Old February 19, 2008, 05:10 PM   #16
carguychris

I agree with most of what's been said already. However, let me add a couple of points.

*With a 36/60/637 or 38/49/638, you can "ride" the hammer spur with your thumb while reholstering, enabling you to stop and reverse course if the trigger snags on something and is being drawn back. While a J-frame's heavy DA trigger pull makes the chance of an accidental holster-snag discharge fairly minimal compared to some other guns, this is the reason I chose to buy a 638 over a 642- the totally concealed hammer of the 642 makes this safety procedure impossible.

*The 638 is harder to cock in SA mode than a 637 due to the little bitty hammer spur pad.

*The little hammer spur pad, plus the fact that it's impossible to insert your other thumb into the hammer shroud and block the hammer, makes the 38/49/638 significantly less safe to decock than a 36/60/637. I don't plan to ever use my 638 in SA mode unless I'm in a situation where it's OK to accidentally fire the gun while attempting to decock.
Old February 19, 2008, 05:48 PM   #17
Neophyte1

Practicing

carguychris: Sir; I totally agree with you. The assessments are above reproach.

My and I mean my assessment; 638 give me the ability to control the hammer in those times of need.

My shooting single actions with triggers altered to "sub carry safe" the 638 is 'bone stock'' and will stay that way.

Practicing with hammer control, practicing shooting as a Single Action and just plane shooting.

Practicing will give you a feel of accomplishment, and too, a better understanding of your Tool.

By the standards of most
Old February 19, 2008, 10:49 PM   #18
jaydubya

Dawg said: You actually are less accurate with the Browning Hi-Power? At ten yards? At that distance you should be able to place every round within the circumferance of a silver dollar if not smaller...on a bad day. Somehting very wrong with that auto...get it to a gunsmith and have it looked at.

There's nothing wrong with my T-series Hi Power, purchased in 1967 and carried on two flying cruises to Vietnam. I considered my issue weapon, a Victory Model .38sp revolver, totally inadequate for war. (Ironically, I consider a 637 Airweight perfect for HD/SD now.) The Hi Power has aged well, having spent thirty years in my sock drawer before I became interested in shooting again. Had the feed ramp polished four years ago when I had a smith install a C&S SFS kit, put a set of Crimson Trace grips on it myself. Keep it loaded with standard pressure Speer 124gr Gold Dots. Shoot it weekly with standard pressure FMJ. I've fired about five thousand rounds through it in the last four years, and it locks up fine. At 76, I'm doing all right too. I just seem to be a better shot with a five-round weapon now.
Cordially, Jack
Old February 20, 2008, 11:35 PM   #19
Elvishead

I like the shrouded hammer cock. I will be getting a 638.
Old February 21, 2008, 10:29 AM   #20
prairieviper

I think it comes down to personal preference. I like my 637 more for the traditional "Chiefs Special" look than anything else. Although not my favorite mode of carry, I have carried it in a pocket holster and had no difficulties with snagging. Personally, I'm really not too worried about this either because I don't know of a single instance where "snagging" has occured during a life or death situation. (Yes, I know, before someone says it, it COULD happen ).
Old February 21, 2008, 11:46 AM   #21
Elvishead

Quote:
prairieviper

I think it comes down to personal preference. I like my 637 more for the traditional "Chiefs Special" look than anything else. Although not my favorite mode of carry, I have carried it in a pocket holster and had no difficulties with snagging. Personally, I'm really not too worried about this either because I don't know of a single instance where "snagging" has occured during a life or death situation. (Yes, I know, before someone says it, it COULD happen ).
That's funny, I feel the same way about my S&W 327 N frame, 8 shot .357. It fits right in my front pocket of my loose jeans with a loose shirt.

Last edited by Elvishead; February 22, 2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old February 22, 2008, 11:55 AM   #22
Elvishead

Quote:
Elvishead

I like the shrouded hammer cock. I will be getting a 638.
I just ordered it.
Old February 22, 2008, 10:21 PM   #23
B.N.Real

649 .357 with the shrouded hammer in stainless steel.

Feels so good in your hand it's scary.
Old February 22, 2008, 10:32 PM   #24
BikerRN

I have a 442.

It is the same as the 642 except for the finish. I would select either the 442 or the 642 as I don't like to be able to cock the hammer on any defensive revolver I carry. I learned a long time ago how to shoot a Double Action Revolver and see no need for Single Action on a defensive revolver.

If you want to hunt or target shoot get a different gun that has Single Action capability is my $0.02.

Biker
Old February 23, 2008, 01:07 AM   #25
carguychris

To summarize, I'll try to sum up the advantages of all 3, excluding subjective measures such as styling.

637:
Easiest to shoot SA
Safest to decock
User can "ride" hammer with thumb to prevent snag-induced AD
Hammer less likely to collect lint than 638
Most likely to snag clothing
Most "gun-like" profile thru clothing due to exposed hammer

638:
Can shoot SA but less easily than 637
Less safe to decock than 637
User can "ride" hammer with thumb to prevent snag-induced AD
Most likely to collect lint