The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 22, 2008, 05:07 PM   #1
DRNfins

S&W Sigma, Rear Adjustable Sights

I just got my first personal .40 Semi-Auto.
I had a .45 and a 9mm for years while in the Army.

I have fired 700-800 rounds so far, the trigger is a little heavy, but I like it that way. I'd like to however, zero it in at 10 yds. I have a tight grouping but it's 3" low @ 10 yds. Is there an affordable adjustable sight for the S&W Sig's?

Thanks for your help.

DRN
Old March 22, 2008, 08:29 PM   #2
SW40F

I have seen, in another post, that the heavy trigger might affect the way you shoot, and particularly shoot low as you pull the gun down without knowing that is what you are doing.

Have you tried shooting from a sandbag rest, supporting under the muzzle, to see if it still shoots low?

We'll see what others have to say. Best of luck.
Old March 22, 2008, 09:24 PM   #3
blutob

I think SW40F is right. I have a Ruger P90 DA/SA. The 1st shot in DA with the stiff trigger pull tends to shoot low, then the SA shots tend to shoot higher. In the begining sometimes I would hit the ground on the first DA shot!

I also have a new SW40VE and when my shots are off they are usually low. I believe the stiff trigger pull causes a slight pull downward. I am going to take SW40F's advice and try with a rest to see for sure.

We probably both just need to adjust to these new guns. Practice makes perfect!
Old March 22, 2008, 09:44 PM   #4
Neener Neener

I can almost guarantee it is the trigger. I just researched this pistol for my neighbor on several forums. Just about everyone with experience with these pistols had one complaint--the trigger. I told my neighbor, but he went to buy one yesterday morning, regardless. So, being a gun nut, I went with him. As soon as we got in the car I pulled out the pistol and checked the trigger. HOLY COW!!! That thing has the worst trigger pull I have ever seen. We went shooting afterwards, were I set up real estate signs at 10 yards. Over half the time he was hitting THE GROUND in front of the signs. I stood behind him to watch, and sure enough, every time he got toward the end of the pull, I could see the front sight dip. I let him shoot my 1911 and he shot fine. That trigger pull had him all messed up. I quickly recommended he find somewhere to get a trigger job done. The Sigma is supposed to be a good pistol as far as reliability, but S&W has a real problem to fix on the trigger.
Old March 23, 2008, 05:27 AM   #5
DRNfins

Hey guys, Thanks.
I have seen that some owners have complained about the excessive trigger pull.I have fired from a vice and also have the same issue.

I have seen adjustable sights online for about $110.00 I find that price very high. I even tried to put a set screw in the rear sight to raise it, but it just stripped out.

I don't mind the stiff trigger. I'd rather have it between, 6-8 lbs though. The Sigma is around 11-12 lbs.

If anyone has information about an adjustable rear sight, please let me know.

DRN
Old March 23, 2008, 08:40 AM   #6
SW40F

No clue where to find adjustable sights, but I might suggest that you call S&W. I bet they can the sights, or re-align the gun, or whatever, to make it shoot to point of aim.

Your Sigma has a lifetime warranty, so your problem is their problem.
Old March 23, 2008, 09:33 AM   #7
WVfishguy

I always shoot low with my Sigma .40, so I aim a little high. Takes care of the problem.

The gun probably does shoot to POA, but the trigger pull negates this.
Old March 23, 2008, 09:48 AM   #8
blutob

You can also try replacing the front sight only, with a slightly lower one, or file it a little bit. That will raise the POI and will be much cheaper.

I aim a little high with mine also.
Old March 23, 2008, 10:19 AM   #9
crazy charlie

All points well taken.
About the only thing not covered is the ammo.
The placement of the trigger finger on the trigger could also have an effect. If you're squeezing with the joint you'll pull down.
If it shoots low in a gun rest I'd contact S&W and you might also want to join the S&W forum. There's a lot of stuff on there about the Sigmas.
I just bought a .40 last month and have none of the problems others describe.
I bought it as a self-defense, carry weapon that I know is not a target pistol.
My only complaints are where are my free mags. and factory rebate check.
On the hard trigger I know if I have to use it for it's intended purpose I won't notice it, or the recoil or anything else.
Old March 23, 2008, 11:33 AM   #10
DRNfins

Thanks again for the info.
I went to the range this morning.

I slid a match book cover under the rear sight. I'm not hitting Dead center 10-25 years.

I'll take the sight off and put a nut and set screw on the bottom of the sight for now.

Thanks again everyone.
Old March 23, 2008, 06:55 PM   #11
545xd40

The way I corrected the problem is, I got an XD 40. The sigma though is very reliable ,thats why its next to my bed. It is a shame such a harsh trigger pull and you find your hand shaking just to sqeeze the trigger. I contemplated a trigger job but that voids the warrenty. It is a gun designed for very close self defense, not driving nails.
Old March 23, 2008, 07:26 PM   #12
Elvishead

Quote:
WVfishguy I always shoot low with my Sigma .40, so I aim a little high. Takes care of the problem.

The gun probably does shoot to POA, but the trigger pull negates this.
A good grip and trigger pull should correct this, I think. At least it did with my Sigma until I got used to it.

But to completely cure this, I replaced the gun with a CZ75B.
Old March 23, 2008, 08:01 PM   #13
railroader

If you shoot it from a rest and it is definitely shooting 3" low at 10 yards you should be able to send just the slide to S&W and they can change out either the front or the rear sight. Or call them up and you can probably get them to send you a replacement sight but you will have to install it. Mark
Old March 23, 2008, 08:26 PM   #14
axslingerW

Lay a dime on the slide behind the front sight and practice (dry fire) until you can keep the dime on top of the slide. Mine shoots point of aim to 25 yards (combat accurate-not a target pistol), and I can hint a 10" target at 50 yards with it. It gets better with use as it wears in.
Old March 24, 2008, 12:28 PM   #15
Wuchak

My Sigma's trigger was very heavy but after a couple of hundred rounds at the range and a good 500 or so dry fires with snap-caps it has smoothed and lightened up a lot. I would guess it's a good 3lbs lighter.

Nice thing with the Sigma is you only have to pull the slide back 1/2" to reset the striker so you don't need to keep unloading and reloading the snap-cap.

I picked up a $22 Don Hume JIT slide holster made for the Glock 19 and the Sigma fits it perfectly. Like any leather holster it was very tight at first but after leaving the gun in it for a few days it has relaxed to the point where the gun goes in and out with just the right amount of friction.

Under $300 for a brand new, reliable high cap stainless 9mm with 4 mags and a holster is a real bargain.
Old March 24, 2008, 03:54 PM   #16
shepherddogs

Call Smith & Wesson and tell them about the problem. They will probably send you a new front sight for free. It should be slightly lower than the one you have now. I know Ruger has different height blades to correct such problems and I imagine S&W does as well.