The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 14, 2008, 10:50 PM   #1
Krkucin

Taurus 1911

The Taurus 1911 has been out for a while now and I am curious for some comments from the field. Is this gun any good? Or is it like most other Taurus semi-autos, Junk? For the money it seems like a good buy, just wondering how it performs.
Old May 14, 2008, 11:00 PM   #2
jpwilly

First, I own both the Mil Pro PT145 3rd gen and the PT1911 Taurus handguns and they have been flawless. Neither are junk. My father has a few of their autos and revolvers and he hasn't had any issues either. The Taurus bashing is a bit over the top as far as I'm concerned but some people have had legitimate issues.

My PT145 only choked when I intentionally limp wrist-ed it during testing and otherwise is perfect for my daily ccw needs. My PT1911 with nearly 2500rnds in 1 1/2 years has been 100% save for the semi wad cutters I hand loaded and didn't crimp well enough plus a Kimber mag it doesn't like. It has feed every type of HP ammo without any issues in it's factory and Wilson mags.
Old May 15, 2008, 05:02 AM   #3
RsqVet

In the low end of the spectrum price wise the Taurus is likely one of the better choices.

That being said it's not the quality custom piece their marketing makes it out to be... heck I could not believe the poor finish quality and machine marks evident on the pictures they took of the gun.
Old May 15, 2008, 08:02 AM   #4
GeorgeF

I like Taurus and have a PT145. I tried out the 1911 and was not too happy about it. They have checkering on the backstrap which was uncomfortable when shooting. I put 2 mags through it and while it shot accurately it was a little too punishing for my tastes.

I own a multitude of 1911's and clones (Systemas, HAFDASAs, etc) and they all were more pleasant to shoot than this. I was bummed because I definitely anted to like it and purchase one.
Old May 15, 2008, 10:06 AM   #5
Ivory Grips

Pure Bunk!

Taurus makes great guns! Human nature is a funny thing. Someone turns up with a problem handgun, regardless of make, and the vultures start flying around in circles in here. I hear great things about the Taurus Mil Pro 145, and their 1911. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either of them.
Old May 15, 2008, 10:41 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Or is it like most other Taurus semi-autos, Junk?
If you are leary about buying a Taurus (and I'm an ex-Taurus owner myself) take a look at Springfield. They have some models that are close in price to the Taurus but might not have all of the bells and whistles of the Taurus.

One thing you do get from Springfield is a great customer service reputation.

Good luck on your hunt.
Old May 15, 2008, 10:47 AM   #7
Technosavant

I was really skeptical when I saw Taurus was coming out with a 1911. The first pictures I had seen didn't make me any more convinced.

Then I got my hands on one. Far better put together than I expected it to be. It shoots wonderfully. It is true that Taurus' customer service needs improvement, but it is a rather standard 1911 (series 80 firing pin safety), so a competent gunsmith can work on it.

I have no problems recommending that people look at them. While I would take a Springfield or S&W before the Taurus, those guns (when equipped with the same features) cost darn near double what the Taurus does. For the price, you cannot beat it.
Old May 15, 2008, 11:22 AM   #8
onesiphorus

I am an ex-Taurus MilPro Owner. I am a current PT1911 owner. It has never malfunctioned, it eats most hollow points and is relatively (combat, not match) accurate. I had a trigger job and since I hate big batwinged ambi safeties, I put a smaller left side only safety on it. Its a fine gun for plinking, carrying or home defense.
Old May 15, 2008, 11:48 AM   #9
RickB

I'd say it depends largely what "the money" is! When the gun was announced, its price was supposed to be competitive with the Philippine imports, but when it hit the local shelves priced along with Kimber, I decided it was no bargain. Prices have come down a bit, but in my area it's still a $700 gun, and there are lots of choices at that price point.
Old May 15, 2008, 12:27 PM   #10
Gaimen

Good Gun

I bought my PT1911 last year and have put ~1500 rounds through it. Overall it has worked great. The OEM mag springs were real weak and I eventually changed those out with Wilson rebuilds. The slide stop on mine had a slightly wider than spec cutout for the slide which allowed it to walk in an out a hair. No big deal except it could fail to lock open on a last round because it might miss the magazine follower. I swapped that out with a Wilson extended slide stop and it works 100% now. Fairly accurate and a lot of fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pistol_Smaller.JPG (83.6 KB, 79 views)
Old May 15, 2008, 03:54 PM   #12
Officer's Match

I love mine, in some ways more than my Colts.
Old May 15, 2008, 03:55 PM   #13
GunCrazyinGA

I bought the pt1911 as soon as i could get my hands on it. I LOVE IT! its the best 1911 out there for the price and quality. I dont have a single bad thing to say about it. I have put hundreds of rounds through it without any problems. FLAWLESS... looks sexy and feels great in the hand. I cant say or write enough good things about it. If you are thinking about it dont go buy one and i promise you will love it. It wont let you down. I bougth the blued one and i am goin to purchase the stainless version very soon. Cant have enough 1911s laying around.
Old May 16, 2008, 10:10 AM   #14
Firepower!

Simple advice: Do not get it. If you have sell it.

When it comes to 1911 America is the King of Manufacturers....many great choices out there...no need to pick Taurus for 1911.
Old May 16, 2008, 10:16 AM   #15
DaveInPA

Quote:
Simple advice: Do not get it. If you have sell it.

When it comes to 1911 America is the King of Manufacturers....many great choices out there...no need to pick Taurus for 1911.
Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. I have one and it's great. Then again so are my American (Springfield Custom) and Canadian (Para) guns. Your comment is so completely baseless it's unreal. Are you telling me that everything you own is made in America? Somehow I doubt it. Get over it. Good products CAN BE and ARE made in other countries. Deal with it.

*end rant*
Old May 16, 2008, 11:12 AM   #16
Kraziken

I find that a lot of shops are selling them for more than the "suggested" retail. I did see a good deal at a gun show for one and will probably be picking one up.

There are a couple of models that aren't available yet that are coming late 3rd quarter I think.
Old May 16, 2008, 11:18 AM   #17
rellascout

For the money there are better long term values. Nothing wrong with it per say but I just paid $550 for a NIB Colt 80 series.
Old May 16, 2008, 11:24 AM   #18
Firepower!

No not everything I own is made in America.

You should learn to read carefully, since I simply stated there are better option in 1911.

I gave the OP my opinion on buying a 1911 in Taurus. Do not understand why you have problem with it.

You dont agree that there are better 1911s made in USA than Taurus?
Old May 16, 2008, 11:27 AM   #19
DaveInPA

Quote:
No not everything I own is made in America.

You should learn to read carefully, since I simply stated there are better option in 1911.

I gave the OP my opinion on buying a 1911 in Taurus. Do not understand why you have problem with it.

You dont agree that there are better 1911s made in USA than Taurus?
Not for the same price.
Old May 16, 2008, 04:02 PM   #20
starshooter231

PT1911 is a fine sidearm. I have and carry the PT1911 and I have no doubt in my mind that when/if the shtf it will do the same as any other brand out there. I have only had one problem with mine and it was after I reassembled it after cleaning. The ambisafety had "jammed", I had it replaced with a Wilson wide safety which I had already planned on doing anyway.
Old May 16, 2008, 05:40 PM   #21
Qwiks draw

What matters here is what the real owners have to say. So far,so good. They have them. They use them. Other input from those who don't have them is hearsay at best.

I don't own a PT1911, but brought the links from those who do and their experiences.

From the writeups from gunwriters like Mas Ayoob, who is an observant critical type, glowing reports abound. If a gun has real troubles he says it like it is. Not so with his reports and other writer reports from gun writers like him.

This is in Gun Digest Books written by him and in many other periodicals.

Same can be said for other gunwriters as well who are known to scrutinize guns closely and write positive criticism.
One of the valid points is that Taurus puts things into the gun that can be found on the pricier models yet doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Old May 16, 2008, 06:57 PM   #22
spamanon

I have been mulling over the purchase of one of these guns for some time. About the only real problem I have seen on the net is some people saying the safety falls off. I have seen this many times, on many forums.
As for me, I am stuck between a Wilson, RRA, or the pt1911. I know they aren't in the same price range, but I am trying to figure out what is more worthwhile for me. Price isn't really a problem, but I don't WANT to spend 2-4 times as much if I won't get 2-4 times as much.
Old May 16, 2008, 07:19 PM   #23
tomh1426

I have a pt1911ss and I love it, I got it in Feb and put over 5k rounds through it with no problems at all.
It eats anything and works with all my mags, Its my "beater" 1911 but it works just as well as my more expensive 1911's
My ONLY complaint is the grips but BFD!
Old May 16, 2008, 10:02 PM   #24
IM_Lugger

Pt1911 Ss

I recently got PT1911 SS myself. IMO for the money you can't get a better 1911! Sure if you're willing to spend a LOT more money you can get a nicer 1911 but PT1911 is a still good gun.

Mine haven't had any FTE or FTF! And that's a design that's supposed to have a brake in period...

You can't go wrong with Taurus 1911 or PT92 pistols!
Old May 16, 2008, 10:18 PM   #25
Officer's Match

Quote:
You can't go wrong with Taurus 1911 or PT92 pistols!
Bingo!