The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 16, 2008, 08:48 PM   #1
LanceOregon

Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Crimson Trace Laser for Ruger LCP

Direct from the Crimson Trace Website, here is photo of a prototype installed on a Ruger LCP.

They are talking about availability by the end of August this year.

See this press release for more info:

http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/New...2/Default.aspx

Old June 16, 2008, 09:19 PM   #2
furyfour

hmm i'd buy it. wonder if it would still fit in my holster.
Old June 16, 2008, 10:25 PM   #3
LanceOregon

It looks like it should be fairly holster friendly. It certainly will not take up any more space inside a pocket.

Old June 17, 2008, 12:05 AM   #4
chris in va

Interesting, looks like it reduces the finger space on the grip though. I guess they're trying to maintain the thin aspect of the gun.
Old June 17, 2008, 02:18 AM   #5
maestro pistolero

Can't afford to lose any finger space on this little gun.
Old June 17, 2008, 04:16 AM   #6
LanceOregon

No, it does not reduce finger space. It just looks that way due to the angle of the photo.

Here is another photo of it that they posted:

Old June 17, 2008, 06:15 AM   #7
Billy Sparks

I put one on my KelTec and I didn't lost any finger space.
Old June 17, 2008, 10:38 AM   #8
chris in va

Stock photo for comparison.

Old June 17, 2008, 10:59 AM   #9
nemesis

Quote:
It looks like it should be fairly holster friendly. It certainly will not take up any more space inside a pocket.
I don't think I understood what you meant. That gun will require a holster designed specifically to accommodate an LCP with the laser in place and the ONLY one that I know of right now is Galco's Pocket Protector.

(illustration is generic and not the one for a lasered LCP)

Old June 17, 2008, 01:44 PM   #10
Van55

I don't personally see anything to be gained by putting a laser grip on what should be a BUG only for extremely close range.

Please let me know why I am wrong.
Old June 18, 2008, 02:21 PM   #11
IdahoG36

Quote:
I don't personally see anything to be gained by putting a laser grip on what should be a BUG only for extremely close range.

Please let me know why I am wrong.
+1. I was going to say the same thing. I don't believe that a laser is needed when firing such a small gun, as the range it will be used will usually be 5 yards or less in a SD situation.
Old June 18, 2008, 02:49 PM   #12
hoytinak

Quote:
+1. I was going to say the same thing. I don't believe that a laser is needed when firing such a small gun, as the range it will be used will usually be 5 yards or less in a SD situation.
If that was the case then what's the point of putting a laser on even a full sized CCW as most CCW's are used under 7 yards?

Lasers come in handy on CCW's for shooting from the hip and shooting from other akward positions.

Alot of people I know (including myself) carry what most yall would consider a BUG (Seecamp or LCP) as a main CCW most of the time anyways. Then there's some people that just like to get every accessory possible for their firearms.
Old June 18, 2008, 06:04 PM   #13
IdahoG36

I don't have any problems with them. To each his own. I carry a NAA Guardian .32acp sometimes, and I personally don't see a need for a laser on it.
Old June 18, 2008, 06:06 PM   #14
Playboypenguin

As lasers go, that one does not look too bad.
Old June 18, 2008, 06:14 PM   #15
hoytinak

I just wonder how sturdy it really is and how well it holds a zero.
Old June 18, 2008, 07:10 PM   #16
LanceOregon

I currently have Crimson Trace products on 3 of my handguns, and they have all held up just fine:

In fact, the ones for my SIG and Glock were dead on target after installation. Only the one for my S&W M&P required any adjustment of the sight's elevation and windage.

They do come with a 3 yr warranty.

Old June 18, 2008, 07:45 PM   #17
BanditSRT8

For a standard carry piece where you may use it as far as 21 feet, I can understand this.

But for me, my LCP will pretty much be reserved for "stick it DIRECTLY into eyesocket... pull trigger" type of defense. Anything more than an arms length away and I doubt I'd be drawing it.
XD9 SC 2 tone | Glock 19 "Cogan Custom" | HK45 | HK P7M8 | HK P30 | Kimber Eclipse Pro II | Springfield EMP | Glock 19 TALO Limited Edition | S&W 1911 Doug Koenig Edition Bi-Tone | EAA Witness Elite "MATCH" | XD40 Service V10 ported "Custom" | Ruger LCP | S&W M&P15 w/EOTech | GSG-5 L | FN FS2000 w/EOTech
Old June 18, 2008, 07:59 PM   #18
LanceOregon

Quote:
But for me, my LCP will pretty much be reserved for "stick it DIRECTLY into eyesocket... pull trigger" type of defense. Anything more than an arms length away and I doubt I'd be drawing it.
If one is drawing their weapon when an attacker is at arms length, then I think that a serious tactical mistake has already been made.

If you are not aware of your surroundings and what is going on around you, then you have started a process that is not at all good. For that is your first line of self-defense. For anyone in arms length of you, is going to have you in arms length of them.

Last edited by LanceOregon; June 18, 2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old June 18, 2008, 08:03 PM   #19
Playboypenguin

Quote:
If one is drawing their weapon when an attacker is at arms length, then I think that a serious tactical mistake has already been made.
That is what belly guns are designed for...

You have to be prepared for sudden, up close attacks. You can't always tell someone is a threat until the last moment and you can't be pulling your gun on everyone that walks towards you.
Old June 18, 2008, 11:49 PM   #20
BanditSRT8

Thanks PBP...

Indeed. Not everyone is a Navy SEAL and immune to complete and utter surprise.

Attacks can happen in any variety of ways, and not all conflict can be successfully avoided. So as i was saying... the LCP was not designed as a tactical weapon, but as a pocket gun, and they do come with their limitations. Laser or not, it is not going to be reliably accurate more than a few feet, especially under a high stress situation and that long DA trigger. It is intended as a last line of defense or "oh ****" gun.
XD9 SC 2 tone | Glock 19 "Cogan Custom" | HK45 | HK P7M8 | HK P30 | Kimber Eclipse Pro II | Springfield EMP | Glock 19 TALO Limited Edition | S&W 1911 Doug Koenig Edition Bi-Tone | EAA Witness Elite "MATCH" | XD40 Service V10 ported "Custom" | Ruger LCP | S&W M&P15 w/EOTech | GSG-5 L | FN FS2000 w/EOTech
Old June 18, 2008, 11:51 PM   #21
BanditSRT8

Wow... I just realized we can't type "****" here. It is censored.

??? We are adults on the gun forums aren't we?

Old June 19, 2008, 12:57 AM   #22
ChicagoTex

Quote:
We are adults on the gun forums aren't we?
Some of us are, some of us aren't. What's more some folks are really little baby children masquerading as adults.
Old June 19, 2008, 02:24 AM   #23
LanceOregon

Quote:
Laser or not, it is not going to be reliably accurate more than a few feet, especially under a high stress situation and that long DA trigger. It is intended as a last line of defense or "oh ****" gun.
So you are arguing that someone who selects such a small gun as their only self-defense weapon has no practical defense until the very last moment when a person is on top of them? That is ridiculous beyond belief.

Have you even ever shot a gun with a laser or practiced with one? What are your qualifications to dismiss them as being so very ineffective?

There are a lot of smaller guns that are surprisingly accurate. You cannot lump all such guns together as being worthless accuracy-wise. That is a very broad generalization on your part. In fact, in all of the reviews that I have read on the LCP so far, the reviewers have remarked that the gun was surprisingly accurate.

If you yourself cannot shoot such a small gun accurately beyond a couple of feet, then that seems more like a skills and training deficiency on your part, than anything else. Or that maybe you have not experimented enough with such guns to find one that suits you.

Even the current thread in the Tactics and Training forum about the most important element of self-defense, the consensus there is that situational awareness is the most important factor. If one blows that, then they have immediately given their opponent a major edge.

In fact, I would say that anyone who lets an attacker get within arm's length of them has already made two key errors:

1) They have put themself into a position where that could happen

2) They have not recognized the person has being a threat.

If you give your opponent enough advantages at the very start, there are going to be no skills or any gun of any type that are going to give you a good outcome.

Old June 19, 2008, 10:04 AM   #24
BanditSRT8

Whoa, who pulled your string man? Calm down and take a deep breath.... this is merely a discussion, nobody is insulting your wife or anything.

I'll answer your post line for line down below:

Quote:
So you are arguing that someone who selects such a small gun as their only self-defense weapon has no practical defense until the very last moment when a person is on top of them? That is ridiculous beyond belief.

Not at all. I am merely pointing out that this type of gun is a pocket gun, and a last resort weapon BY NATURE of design. Can it shoot accurately beyond a few feet? Surely it can, but I would not want to be required to test that in a real life scenario. Offhand at 15 feet I was able to get about a 2" grouping out of it in my drills, but again a stressful situation may not be as favorable.

Have you even ever shot a gun with a laser or practiced with one? What are your qualifications to dismiss them as being so very ineffective?

Any other comments on this one?

There are a lot of smaller guns that are surprisingly accurate. You cannot lump all such guns together as being worthless accuracy-wise. That is a very broad generalization on your part. In fact, in all of the reviews that I have read on the LCP so far, the reviewers have remarked that the gun was surprisingly accurate.

I'm not generalizing anything. Pocket guns are made as "oh crap" guns, not primary defensive tools. How and why is this a surprise to you? It IS surprisingly accurate for the size... do you know why it is being referred to as "Surprisingly Accurate"??? Because generally a pocket gun is not a reliable long range accuracy tool, therefore... it is SURPRISING that it is somewhat accurate! You get my point right?

If you yourself cannot shoot such a small gun accurately beyond a couple of feet, then that seems more like a skills and training deficiency on your part, than anything else. Or that maybe you have not experimented enough with such guns to find one that suits you.

No deficiency here, and since you don't know me, that was a reach on your part. Moving on....

Even the current thread in the Tactics and Training forum about the most important element of self-defense, the consensus there is that situational awareness is the most important factor. If one blows that, then they have immediately given their opponent a major edge.

In fact, I would say that anyone who lets an attacker get within arm's length of them has already made two key errors:

1) They have put themself into a position where that could happen

2) They have not recognized the person has being a threat.

If you give your opponent enough advantages at the very start, there are going to be no skills or any gun of any type that are going to give you a good outcome.

Very good, I would hope that we all already know this. Point is that anything can happen. If everyone were 100% tactically secure, less crimes would happen. But as I turn on the news... wait..... Yep, crime is still happening.

Cops die every day, soldiers and Special Forces elite die every day, that's the way it is... at some point it is possible that you will not be the all-knowing God that you would like us all to be, and someone could make it inside your sacred bubble. I've had people approach me at gas pumps that quite literally appeared out of nowhere and the sound of the highway and gas pump masked their approach. Am I negligent? Certainly not... but things happen.

Nothing wrong with the LCP, I absolutely adore mine. But I use mine as it was INTENDED when designed, I do not fool myself into thinking that it completely replaces my primary weapons. Laser or not.

I'm not knocking the Laser, I just find it a wee bit impractical fitted to this type of gun is all. Between the extension under the trigger guard taking a little bit of grip away and the extension forward of the trigger eliminating most any holster option... I find it utterly useless.
Old June 19, 2008, 10:22 AM   #25
chris in va

Seems we've got ourselves a urinating match.

Quote:
Pocket guns are made as "oh crap" guns, not primary defensive tools
Thing to remember, some people carry these small guns as their primary defensive weapon simply because they *are* so small and concealable. Perhaps they're required to do so from state law pressure or social misunderstanding. I'd venture to say a larger percentage are used in this manner.