The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 27, 2008, 10:33 PM   #1
Playboypenguin

Sort of a range report: Walther PPS 9mm

This is not the usual range report I would put forth. The reason is I was shooting at an outdoor range and since I had to wait for the range to go cold each time to retrieve targets, it was just to much trouble to collect examples of small groups. But I think you will get the idea.

FORM: This gun is an impressive design. It is extremely thin and quite attractive. It has a very pronounced and unique look that just screams "I am a marvel of German engineering!"

FEATURES: This gun is well thought out as far as features go too. It has a very easy to read cocking indicator, multiple magazine sizes which each alter grip length, adjustable backstraps to make it a better fit for most hands, a very Glock-like trigger safety, easy to use three-dot sights, and a very nice mag release built into the trigger guard (which is ambi).

FIT: This gun is put together very nicely. All the edges are well honed, the finish is even and consistent, the tolerances are small and even, all polymer parts are well finished, and the over-all feel is tight.

FEEL: The feel of the gun takes a little getting used to but is over-all very comfortable. The thinness of the grips is the part that requires adjustment on the shooters part. Once you get used to the grip and decide which backstrap/magazine combo works best for you it feels very nice. I ended up finding the smaller backstrap with the middle sized (7 round) magazine to be the perfect fit for my hand. Once that was established the gun fit me like a glove.

FUNCTION: This is where the gun shined brightly. I put over 200 rounds through it in one session...which is almost unheard of for me. In all those rounds I did not have a single malfuntion that was gun related. I only had one round that failed to fire and it failed in another gun also. It was just a rare dead round. I had two other 9mm pistols with me needing shot but once I started with the PPS I never stopped. The gun was way more accurate than I am capable of utilizing effectively off hand (at ranges up to 75ft). I found that it pointed even better than my Glocks or XD's. It was easy to carry, easy to bring to bear, easy to point, and easy to hit with...what more could you ask of a gun?

FLAWS: The only real flaws are not flaws at all, but just realities of the gun. First, it is almost too thin. It is hard to get used to a gun this size being so thin...but that is the whole point of the gun. Secondly, I really wish it had a DA capability. I guess that is just not possible because of being so thin. Thirdly, I wish there was a little less negative spave in the three-dot sights. I like the front sight to almost fill the rear space. Forthly, I would have loved to see the middle sized mag be able to handle just one more round. Finally, I wish (this is not performance related) that they offered a stainless model. They already off a grey frame and it would look awesome with a stainless slide.

FINAL IMPRESSION: Walther has produced the almost perfect polymer carry pistol. It is thin, light, accurate, reliable, and attractive to boot. Only the oddly slim grip and lower capacity keep it from getting even closer to perfection. It is a definite keeper and I will be carrying it quite often.

Last edited by Playboypenguin; June 28, 2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old June 27, 2008, 11:12 PM   #2
B3nT

Everything you say is completely true!

I got mine in January after a wait of several weeks, and was equally impressed with both workmanship and performance at the range. As you said, fit and finish are impeccable, accuracy exceeds me easily (although the short sight radius takes some care); groups compare well to my full-size P99 (and BHP, and PP...) The shootability is awesome; once I start with the PPS, the only reason I set it down and switch to another gun is to achieve higher capacity, and less frequent reloading. A HiCap SEEMS like more shooting, even though it really isn't. But capacity limitations is the nature of a compact gun (as you noted).

As an owner of five Walthers -- PP, war trophy P38, PPS, P99QA, P88 (this jewel is definitely distinctive, even among Walthers!) -- that free space between center and outer sight blades is Walther's way. I think I'd like it narrower too, but have grown used to it.

Another note: after 1000-1500 rounds, the trigger begins to smooth out. It's Walther-good out of the box, but a might gritty until it's broken in well. I expect that it will be like glass by 5000 rounds, which is about what it took for the P99 to really hit its stride.

These little critters are still in short supply. And with good reason!
Old June 28, 2008, 06:38 AM   #3
plom

very cool range report! thanks! come on please post a picture!!!!
Old June 28, 2008, 08:08 AM   #4
Playboypenguin

B3nT

I forgot to even mention the trigger.

I found it to be very crisp and clean. In fact I think it felt very Glock-like and I love the Glock trigger. I would give it a good solid 8 out of 10 and if, as you say, it gets even better; that is great news.
Old June 28, 2008, 08:32 AM   #5
PSP

How would you compare the PPS with your P2000SK?
Old June 28, 2008, 08:50 AM   #6
Playboypenguin

Quote:
very cool range report! thanks! come on please post a picture!!!!
I added a pic to the OP. I hope you are happy now.
Old June 28, 2008, 09:01 AM   #7
Billy Sparks

I tried a PPS at my local dealer. It felt rough, gritty and stacked pretty bad. With that said it is promising that there are good triggers out there. Just might have to move the PPS back on the short list.
Old June 28, 2008, 09:43 AM   #8
WVfishguy

The thinness of the PPS is what enables me to carry it all day in an IWB holster. I've got love handles, and must wear a light, sleeveless t-shirt. No other gun I know of (with the possible exception of a Kahr) would be suitable for my needs.

BTW - I work lot in the heat, and sweat like a horse. Plus, I clean aquariums for a living, so I pretty much stay wet.

I've kept a close eye out for rust on my PPS. The finish must be very tough, because, so far, there's been no sign of corrosion of any kind.
Old June 28, 2008, 10:45 AM   #9
B.N.Real

WVfishguy,that's one heck of an endorsement there.

-(with the possible exception of a Kahr)-

A very small 9mm indeed.

Very nice review there PBP,by the way.
Old June 28, 2008, 12:27 PM   #10
plom

thanks for your pic PBP, now I have a new wallpaper on my computer
Old June 28, 2008, 02:00 PM   #11
joegator

Thanks for the report. Is it suitable for pocket carry like the PM9?
Old June 28, 2008, 02:27 PM   #12
HKFan9

I was very close to buying this the day I bought my USP, I even asked if I got a deal if i put cash for both and walked out, but both guns were brand new so I got the USP and waited. I ended up getting a Kahr PM9 for it being slightly smaller. However I still love the PPS and am encouraging a friend to buy it since my PM9 is too small for his hands, and he needs a CCW piece. Hopefully he gets it soon so I can shoot it. As for now I think the next thing I'm buying is a .22 handgun, so I can plink for cheap between all the 9mm mags.
Old June 28, 2008, 03:02 PM   #13
KCabbage

Greetings.
Great review.
I actually just sold mine after 2 weeks.
I always knew about the Kahr pistols, but when I found out more about the MK9 the PPS had to go. I really liked the PPS, it was hard to let go.
I wanted/needed something a little bit smaller.
In addition, the PPS's two piece feed ramp caused problems for my wide mouthed HST and Ranger ammo, so it had to go. The tip of the bullet would catch right between the ramps.
The trigger smoothed out nicely after 100 rounds or so.
Thats my take on it.
Take care guys
Old June 28, 2008, 06:25 PM   #14
allenomics

Is it as easy to clean as a Glock? Nice review.
Old June 28, 2008, 10:01 PM   #15
Playboypenguin

Quote:
How would you compare the PPS with your P2000SK?
It is thinner. That is about the only category it wins.

Here is what I thought of the P2000SK.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=300206
Old June 28, 2008, 10:43 PM   #16
mountainclmbr

Sorry, but a safety on the trigger is like putting the brake on the gas peddle. A hard SAO trigger is much safer, but I prefer a proper 1911 type safety system.
Old June 28, 2008, 11:39 PM   #17
DMMikey

I've been waiting for this report. Sounds as positive as I thought it might. The PPS really caught my eye in the gun shop, and on line article reports have been positive. (Of course, how many of those are really negative?)
Glad to see someone on this board give an opinion.
Now, do I trade my Sig 239 on one, and get a Hi-Power too, or just the Hi Power, or just the PPS...
Hard decisions.
Leaning toward getting both, and replacing the Sig.
Would love to have an accurized and smoothed out Hi Power.
Should probably get a full size .38 revolver first, and just keep on working on trigger control. And work on reloading the .38 too. And wait on the rest.
I don't carry that often anyway.
Decisions, Decisions....
Yes I am all wired up about this, can't you tell?
Old June 29, 2008, 03:09 PM   #18
IdahoG36

I was pretty excited about the PPS until I actually held one. They are huge compared to my Kahr PM9. I didn't think the difference would be that pronounced. I'll stick with my PM9 for a small, light 9mm carry gun.
Old July 13, 2008, 03:52 PM   #19
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Is it as easy to clean as a Glock? Nice review.
Sorry I took so long to answer this question. I did not see it.

Yes, it is almost identical in tear down as a Glock. In fact the slimmer slide and better take down tabs make it a small bit easier.