The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 21, 2008, 12:19 PM   #1
boykinhntr

The PT145 just felt TOO GOOD!

Dang the Taurus Millenium Pro PT145 feels like it was made for me. I shot one yesterday and completely fell in love. I was wanting a new .45 and I got one this morning. I have always shot Sigs and S&W and was going to get a Glock.

The Glocks are obviously great guns but they just didn't fit me. I hated shooting it. BUT the dang Taurus was fantastic!

This is an easy .45 to carry, is a 10+1, has a lifetime warranty, great safety features, and a fantastic grip!

BTW. I have read about the Taurus CS problems and hopefully i won't have a problem. My gunshop said that they have had little problem out of the newer Milleniums.
Old July 21, 2008, 12:41 PM   #2
The Great Mahoo

I have a Taurus 24/7 PRO .45 which I very much like. Its very comfortable in my hand and shoots quite well.

However, I noticed my local gunshop was no longer carrying much in the way of Taurus automatics, and when I asked them about it, they said they had a lot of problems with customers having damaged guns. The 24/7's haven't had much in the way of problems, he mentioned only 1 or 2 instances of the clip release failing, causing the magazine to drop out of the gun when fired.

The Milleniums seemed to be where most of the problems were. Cracked frames, ejection and feeding problems, magazine locks, damaged slide rails. It seems they had to send back quite a few from the one shop.

I nearly bought a Millenium a while back for a carry gun, but decided to go with a wheel-gun instead. I had been considering a small caliber Millenium for a compact plinker, maybe a 380 or 32, but I doubt I will get one now. I do want a smaller gun to let new shooters start on a lesser recoil gun, but it will have to wait.

I have 3 Taurus guns (the 24/7, a 651 revolver, and the Judge) and have had no major problems with any of them. I've had some feed issues with the 24/7 due to crappy ammo, and found the Judge can have some trouble ejecting 410 cases at times. All in all, nothing that would make me get rid of the guns. I've put several hundred rounds through all of mine, especially the 24/7 which i have had the longest.

I hope you have no problems with your new gun. Maintain it well and keep an eye out for any problems.
Old July 21, 2008, 02:52 PM   #3
boykinhntr

Hopefully I won't have those problems. My gunshop told me that the originals had a lot of problems. However he said he rarely sees any problems out of the 3rd generation ones. He actually said he had less problems out of those then one of the other well respected manufacturers.( I will leave their name out if it so not to start a pissing match)

I put 150 rounds through it today and it shoots like a dream. Only time will tell if it will hold up!
Old July 21, 2008, 04:57 PM   #4
tex45acp

boykinhntr,

It should, I have two of them and several thousand rounds through each one. I have yet to experience any problems other than draining my walled of money to keep them shooting. Both of mine are the 3rd Generation, double action only with the accessory rail in front.

tex
Old July 21, 2008, 05:03 PM   #5
Nimble1

Congrats!

I just purchased a used 2nd Gen PT145 and have been very pleased with it. I ran 120 rnds through it this weekend and it never missed a beat. It is now my new CCW weapon.I know that some really bash Taurus but I am pleased with mine.
Old July 22, 2008, 02:32 AM   #6
Qwiks draw

Nice to hear folks.
Nice thing about .45ACP pistols. These put BIG holes in reactive or standard targets. Criminals too if needed. LOL
Old July 22, 2008, 12:35 PM   #7
King Ghidora

I did a LOT of research on the PT145 before I bought one about a month ago. None of the things mentioned by the one gun shop ever came up in any of the posts I read about this gun. The only thing I've heard is that the 1st gen had some problems and the 2nd had a problem with mags dropping out and that all problems were fixed by the 3rd generation. I am completely tickled pink with mine. I've shot over 500 rounds through it so far with no problems at all.

BTW the 3rd gen. models are DA/SA. 99.9% of the time it will be SA. The only time it will be DA is when a shell misfires. You can pull the trigger a second time without racking the slide but it will be in DA mode. That's the only time they are DA.

There is a Taurus board where owners of the PT series will give you their views. I've seen lots of posts on different boards and almost all comments have been positive. Considering that it's usually only the people who have problems that post at all on most boards I think that's an excellent record.

BTW Glock's have had their share of problems too. It's all a matter of reputation. It's like the way people feel about Ipods when they can get a better player for much less money. Some things get a good rep and some get a bad one and most of the time it's more about hype than reality.

I just know I've shot mine quite a few times already and it's been flawless. Many people will own a gun for years and not shoot as much as I do in a month. Actually I shot most of those 500 rounds in 2 weeks. I've been busy with other stuff since then so I haven't shot my Taurus as often. I've been shooting my .22 Marlin lately trying to get a laser sight lined up absolutely perfect. I have shot the Taurus a few times though.

I'd look around for more comments if I were you and the post above bothered you. You won't find many like it. Here's a thread you might be interested in:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-150417.html

They are mostly talking about earlier generation models but you have about 30 people there saying their Taurus works perfectly and I didn't see even one report of a problem. The light touch on the mag release was the only thing even close to a complaint. That is something I wish was better but as long as you don't touch that button you should be just fine.

I think they are incredible guns at an incredible price. I expected to pay almost double what I paid for a good CCW piece. I couldn't be happier with what I got.
Old July 22, 2008, 12:55 PM   #8
benzuncle

I bought a PT-145 a short time ago and after 500 rounds have made it my carry piece. 10+1 45ACP in a firearm that fits a small hand is truly impressive. And the way it shoots...
Congratulations! Be sure to check out www.taurusarmed.net as previously mentioned by Qwiks draw. Alotsa good info there for Taurus owners and potential owners. See ya there.
Old July 22, 2008, 12:56 PM   #9
boykinhntr

I spoke to the guys at the largest gun shop in Little Rock(outside of the box stores) about these guns. They have sold a ton of them and have had very few returns. In fact, they said the PT145 was every bit as reliable as any of the other guns. They sell Kimber, Glock, Sig, Ruger, Beretta, Kahr, and several other brands.

I put 150 rounds through it yesterday and loved it! I will be buying a 9mm in the coming months. It will either be a PT111 or a PT24/7.
Old July 22, 2008, 04:05 PM   #10
swright101

How 'bout taking some pics and letting us see what you got?
Old July 22, 2008, 05:14 PM   #11
New2GA

Taurus PT Safety Issue

First I am not talking about frame cracks, I am talking about the function of the safety.

I love my PT140 as well. It is 3rd gen but does have an interesting mode of function or issue, involving the safety, depending on how you see it.

The issue is if you have just fired a round and engage the safety with the trigger still fully pulled it will still fire. I tend to engage the safety while still oriented down range before I do anything else, then release the trigger. I have had to modify my habits to adapt to this gun.

To test this on your PT check to be sure it's clear, remove the mag and check to be sure it's clear, check again to be sure the chamber is clear. (the chambered indicator on the 140 is most likely similar to the one on the 145 but I still like to SEE it's empty.)

(I have also found that loading a snap caps only in the mag and then watching the bright orange capsule slide into the chamber can be useful when checking to be sure the gun is not loaded with a live round, again just an opinion.)

After clearing the gun point it in a safe direction and pull the trigger but do not release the trigger. Then keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction, with the the trigger still fully pulled cycle the action, then with the trigger still pulled engage the safety. If it were loaded with live rounds it would have a live round in the chamber, the trigger would still be pulled from the last shot and the safety would be engaged. You Can now release the trigger

Now here is the issue, one would think the gun would not fire without disengaging the safety, so without disengaging the safety-point the gun in a safe direction and then pull the trigger.

I look forward to the results as I have considered a PT145 to go along side the PT140. Also note that Taurus does not consider this an issue, at least not in my owners manual.

Also please feel free to remind me of safety points I may have overlooked. Safety should always come first and foremost and I am not adverse to or above reminders.
Old July 22, 2008, 06:00 PM   #12
Dabull

Quote:
The issue is if you have just fired a round and engage the safety with the trigger still fully pulled it will still fire. I tend to engage the safety while still oriented down range before I do anything else, then release the trigger. I have had to modify my habits to adapt to this gun.
What is the advantage of your technique? I would let the trigger reset before I decide to shoot again, assess the situation, or safe my weapon. Why apply the safety before you have reset the trigger?

I guess the PT145 design does not account for this because they never thought somebody might do it.
Old July 22, 2008, 08:04 PM   #13
New2GA

I was not promoting any particular practice or method. I was simply informing someone of a potential hazard. The issue was that the safety could be deceptively lifted to its fully engaged position while being completely ineffective as the gun can still be fired. The trigger is actually trapped behind the safety and is not only still able to fire it is also closer to the sear mechanism.

The partial destruction of the gun is very far down the list from the possible harm to life and limb from handling of a loaded gun that for all intents and purposes appears to have the safety engaged when in fact the safety is not capable of preventing the gun from being fired at all.

As for my practice. I won't go into it here as it entails a bit of medical history. I do however favor my Kahr MK40 and NAA Guardian most notably as there are no safeties to engage or disengage.
Old July 23, 2008, 06:54 AM   #14
Sturmgewehre

This sign hangs in my dealers showroom. When asked why it was there, he said because so many of the Taurus handguns they sell have problems and because Taurus doesn't pay for shipping (almost every other company does) that they can't afford to continue to ship on their dime.

Remember, when you send your gun in for warranty work it has to go over night shipping which is expensive... $60 or more sometimes. That's a pretty big cost for a small town gun store to absorb when so many guns need to go back for warranty work and the manufacturer refuses to pay shipping.

Old July 23, 2008, 07:16 AM   #15
jlh26oo

R.O.F.L. he still actively stocks them after posting that sign, or just clearing what's left at this point?! That had to at least slow down how many he's moving, at least somewhat anywyays.
Old July 23, 2008, 07:41 AM   #16
ImDisaster

Quote:
The issue was that the safety could be deceptively lifted to its fully engaged position while being completely ineffective as the gun can still be fired. The trigger is actually trapped behind the safety and is not only still able to fire it is also closer to the sear mechanism.
I agree that you just need to modify your safety application method.

I would not use the term "deceptively" because when the trigger is "trapped behind the safety" it is wayyyy back compared to it's normal position and it is quite obvious that something is amiss.

I don't have any issue with the safety on my PT111 except that I wish it stuck out a bit more so that it would easier to sweep with a gloved hand and it's position would be easier to feel.

I do have some issues with the Taurus quality control (lots of tooling marks) and long term durability (peening indications after several hundred rounds.) I look at the MilleniumPro as a great, inexpensive, low shooting volume, defense piece. I would not care to own it if I was planning of putting thousands of rounds through it a year.
Old July 23, 2008, 09:52 AM   #17
King Ghidora

Could it be that gun shop owners don't like the low price of the PT series? That might explain why gun shop owners talk about problems while owners talk about rock solid reliablity. I've shot over 500 rounds through mine in less than a month. It hasn't had the slightest hint of a problem. When I start seeing actual owners talk about problems then I will get concerned but remember these guns have a lifetime warranty. If they break they get fixed for free. That's exactly the kind of gun I want to shoot thousands of rounds through a year. If there are so many having problems where are the people complaining about them? I haven't seen one yet. Something's fishy in all this. I did see some complaints about the very early 1st generation models but by all accounts those problems have been fixed.

Why would Taurus build a gun that was going to break down constantly and give it a lifetime warranty? That would be a economics nightmare for their company. They would be crazy to do that. It would bankrupt them in no time.

I average over 1000 rounds per year on my Sig. If it breaks down I will have to pay for it including shipping back to the factory since it's warranty was up before I even bought it. The warranty will never be up on my PT 145 unless Taurus goes out of business and they've been around a long time.

Maybe the problems are all from the early generation model of the PT series. I don't know. I just know I've seen many, many positive reports about these guns and very few complaints and the complaints I did see date back to 2002.

BTW I just talked to another gun shop owner yesterday who said he had sold a huge number of the Millennium Pro series and he said they were fantastic guns. He said he couldn't keep them on the shelf because people bought them so fast. Would he be selling them like that if he was having issues with shipping them back to the factory?
Old July 23, 2008, 10:46 AM   #18
Ace_Breaker

If you research my links you will find my experience with the PT145(3rd generation). I was excited about the gun when I found it at a gun show, purchased it, cleaned it, then took it to the range a few days later. I was nervous about my history with Taurus, and about their reputation, but decided to give them another chance. Long story short, it FTE'd a few times, then pieces started falling off somewhere in the 50-60 round area. This completely disabled the gun and the extractor spring was lost after boinking off into oblivion. Also, the gun shot very loose groups that were about 10" low from close range. I'm an expert qualifier at the range so it wasn't my shooting that caused it's poor performance. I returned it for a full refund and ended up getting a CZ P-01(a great move). I'm sure others have read the story before, but this was my 3rd Taurus that broke out of 3, all needing to be returned to the factory. The one positive thing about the PT145, it did feel good in the hands. That was about all that was good! I would not own a Taurus and rely on it as a carry or home defense gun.
Old July 23, 2008, 11:04 AM   #19
dawgfvr

Never had a problem with my PT145...one of the best shooters in my collection of side arms.
Old July 23, 2008, 11:34 AM   #20
ImDisaster

Quote:
Why would Taurus build a gun that was going to break down constantly and give it a lifetime warranty? That would be a economics nightmare for their company. They would be crazy to do that. It would bankrupt them in no time.

I average over 1000 rounds per year on my Sig.
Because, most people will shoot even less than the 1000 rounds a year that you shoot with that Sig. If the gun lasts 4000 rounds it will probably be enough for 99.999% of gun owners. I know plenty of people who have had a gun for 10 years and haven't even run a full box of ammo through it. Then there are the people that wouldn't recognize the non catastrophic failures...like the loss of accuracy from loose parts.

I maintain there isn't anything wrong with Taurus for the niche it fills...an inexpensive gun that performs reliably if not pushed. However, the chance of getting one without issues, and putting 30,000 rounds through one without a failure, is much, much lower than your chances with a Sig, or a S&W...or a Ruger for that matter.

As far as the design of the MilleniumPro and 24/7 there are a couple specific long term longevity issues I noticed with mine (and read about.)

1. Barrel pivots and stops against the takedown pin (as opposed to a block like most other semiautos.) I've read the pin will eventually fail with +P loads. I'm more concerned with where the pin enters the alloy frame member which is molded into the plastic frame. I can see wear starting on mine and I've read that the hole elongates.

2. The slide itself stops against the front of the alloy frame that is molded into the frame. I can see the alloy frame peening to the point that small shavings are working off it. In a S&W M&P the slide hits the plastic frame which buffers it nicely.

I've shot maybe 500 rounds in mine and maybe 3 +P defense loads. Imagine the wear at 10,000 rounds.

Right now, mine is still tight and accurate and has been very dependable. I have total confidence in it for carry.
Old July 23, 2008, 12:37 PM   #21
Sturmgewehre

Quote:
R.O.F.L. he still actively stocks them after posting that sign, or just clearing what's left at this point?! That had to at least slow down how many he's moving, at least somewhat anywyays.
He still sells them and he still stocks them. Why? Because people still want them even when they're warned about the poor customer service and quality issues they've seen in their store for years.

Some people don't care about quality as much as they do price and appearances. If it looks good cosmetically and the price is right, people will buy just about anything. Plus, not everyone that shops for firearms is really a firearms enthusiast. Most are people looking for something affordable to protect themselves with or to go plinking... and for these folks price will be the deciding factor every time.
Old July 23, 2008, 12:40 PM   #22
Sturmgewehre

Quote:
I average over 1000 rounds per year on my Sig. If it breaks down I will have to pay for it including shipping back to the factory since it's warranty was up before I even bought it. The warranty will never be up on my PT 145 unless Taurus goes out of business and they've been around a long time.
Check out Springfield's warranty service some time. It's the model all companies should follow.

A lifetime warranty isn't worth squat to me if it means I have to wait 3-6 months to get my gun back from being repaired. Almost every person I know that has sent a Taurus back for warranty work waited no less than 2 months for a "quick" turn around and one guy is still waiting and it's been over 5 months.

No thanks.
Old July 23, 2008, 12:43 PM   #23
Sturmgewehre

Quote:
Could it be that gun shop owners don't like the low price of the PT series?
Why would that make a difference? That makes no sense.

A dealer makes their 20% (more or less) markup regardless of the price of the gun. If anything, dealers love cheap guns because they sell more of them and make the same profit, if not more (because they can mark it up even more than big ticket items and still sell it).

If a gun doesn't work, it's no skin off of the dealers rear-end. People blame the manufacturer.
Old July 23, 2008, 12:58 PM   #24
ImDisaster

Quote:
If a gun doesn't work, it's no skin off of the dealers rear-end. People blame the manufacturer.
Not always true. I know two dealers who stopped carrying Taurus's because they had customers who were upset that they sold them guns that took months to get serviced. A good dealer wants to be able to stand behind the products he sells.

I've had gun shops steer me away from guns and companies they had problems with. They said something like, "I will sell it to you but I can't be responsible if you have problems." The two brands I've heard that from the most were Keltec and Taurus.
Old July 23, 2008, 01:55 PM   #25
Sturmgewehre

Quote:
Not always true. I know two dealers who stopped carrying Taurus's because they had customers who were upset that they sold them guns that took months to get serviced. A good dealer wants to be able to stand behind the products he sells.
Point taken.

If I were a dealer, I wouldn't sell guns that I had repeated problems with... and if Taurus refused to pay for shipping on a new gun that was faulty, I would drop them immediately. Most people do expect the dealer to absorb the cost of replacement if they buy something crappy and in turn, as a dealer, you would expect the manufacturer to stand behind their product. Taurus doesn't.

The few times I've had a problem with a new firearm (Kel-Tec for example) I didn't blame my dealer. They warned me that the P3AT's tend to have problems and told me to get a .32 ACP instead as they've had far fewer problems with them... but I didn't want a cartridge that small. I blame Kel-Tec for the poor quality of the P3AT I had.