The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 12, 2008, 07:45 PM   #1
maestro pistolero

Time to fire up the militia. What's it going to look like today?

And not some half-baked, fringe element for the liberals to throw eggs at, either. I'm talking the real deal here. Well regulated, well trained, well armed, and legitimate.

Once organized, trained, and equipped, this militia could place itself voluntarily, at it's own discretion, in the temporary service of the organized militia in times of real national emergency, or when the National Guard's resources and goodwill are being over taxed and overburdened like in the middle east right now.

Perhaps the training and discipline could be undertaken with the help of recently retired or even active duty military volunteers or LE trainers.

Should there be standardized training?

There should be a spirit of cooperation with government authority, but a clearly delineated and stated autonomy as to the manner and means of operation.

There could be a charter, a mission statement, and high standards of excellence that are self-imposed. There should be a transparent and fair system of purging bad eggs, or those who can be proven to have bad intentions or improper behaviour that would threaten the credibility and efficacy of the Militia.

What standards should we hold ourselves to?

How do we balance independence and autonomy, with a spirit of cooperation and common training so that we could be as effective as possible in working together to support our police and military in the event of a cataclysmic world event?

What other attributes should our new militia have?
Old August 13, 2008, 12:57 PM   #2
maestro pistolero

Already a good discussion going on at TFL:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=384884

Moderator, feel free to close, thank you.
Old August 13, 2008, 01:05 PM   #3
bclark1

Not everyone on one is on the other. If they wanted one board they'd consolidate.
Old August 13, 2008, 01:39 PM   #4
S832

An FBI agent is a must, at least to get credibility as a threat to the government.
Old August 13, 2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Stagger Lee

Any legitimate "militia" would have to be formed under the auspices and control of a local government body, just as they were 200 years ago. However we do not do that any more as there's really no need. The closest I could envision would be a local police department and of course you can always apply to join one of those.

Now if you really want to play soldier, enlist in the active-duty Armed Forces or the Reserves/National Guard. Our country can always use more help from patriotic citizens.

If, however, your only purpose for declaring yourself a private "militia" is to oppose our existing legitimate government, then I have to oppose you as one of those "enemies, domestic" that I and many other real Americans have sworn to defend our nation against.

Again though, I fail to see a need. The whole "Hey, let's form a militia" fantasy is simply an impractical solution in search of a non-existent problem.
Old August 13, 2008, 02:57 PM   #6
Saab1911

Just like a church can be one person, I am a militia unto myself. That way
I can hold the long boring meeting in my head.
Old August 13, 2008, 03:19 PM   #7
divemedic

A militia of one? That slogan has already been used.
Old August 13, 2008, 03:25 PM   #8
ElectricHellfire

Sorry, got kids, no time for militias right now. Mabey if we get invaded I'd be less apethetic.
Old August 13, 2008, 03:51 PM   #9
Saab1911

Quote:
A militia of one? That slogan has already been used.
No. That was Army of one.
Old August 13, 2008, 05:48 PM   #10
divemedic

Might as well use "You and the Militia, full speed ahead" or "The Militia is looking for a few good men"

Old August 13, 2008, 05:52 PM   #11
Stagger Lee

If you want to be there for your community during emergencies, the Red Cross can always use volunteers. It doesn't always have to be something gun-related, does it? Even the National Guard usually trades rifles for shovels and sandbags during natural disasters. There's nothing stopping anyone here from volunteering to move supplies, prepare meals, pass out water, etc. It may not be as "cool" to do actual work instead of strutting around in store-bought cammies with a Tapco-bastardized SKS, but it's definitely appreciated and worth doing.
Old August 13, 2008, 06:06 PM   #12
azredhawk44

Quote:
It may not be as "cool" to do actual work instead of strutting around in store-bought cammies with a Tapco-bastardized SKS, but it's definitely appreciated and worth doing.
Now dangit, that was funny. And I'd decided already that I didn't like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee
Now if you really want to play soldier, enlist in the active-duty Armed Forces or the Reserves/National Guard. Our country can always use more help from patriotic citizens.
Compared to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich Himmler
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark
[P]eople who like assault weapons should join the United States Army, we have them.
Not exactly flattering company to be in with that perspective, Stagger. Care to open your mind and position a bit?
Old August 13, 2008, 06:12 PM   #13
Wildalaska

Quote:
It may not be as "cool" to do actual work instead of strutting around in store-bought cammies with a Tapco-bastardized SKS, but it's definitely appreciated and worth doing.
Nice one!

WildspewingonkeyboardfinishedAlaska â„¢
Old August 13, 2008, 06:26 PM   #14
Tom2

State militia? I was astounded to find out about 10 or so years ago, of the Ohio Military Reserve (OMR) an unfunded uniformed military force in the state of Ohio, consisting of unpaid volunteers to supposedly fill the gap behind the state national guard. I guess they are recognized by the state, as they have been seen associating in uniform with state VIPS in photos. It is a BYOG organisation with their own emblem on the BDU uniforms. They were recruiting at a gun show. I asked the guy OK, if you are an official organisation, who do you serve, the governor, or who? He could not answer that one but I think I got a glossy brochure at that time which I no longer have. I was interested in the "chain of command" and how it was organised but did not get any real good understanding at the time. Have not looked into it since. So is this different than the unorganised militia, such as guys with AK's in blue jeans and old army jackets?
Old August 13, 2008, 07:53 PM   #15
jhgreasemonkey

Yep. Many of our states already have a state defense force that acts as the legtimate militia and is part of that states government. It is all unpaid volunteers who hold rank and fall under the authority of their state government. They can also be put into paid status and serve along side that states national guard in times of state emergency. An interesting fact, some if not most of the legitimate state militias are usually not armed. In Washington state there is the Washington state guard that is headquartered at the National Guards Camp Murray. They work closely with the army national guard. Volunteer for your states militia if you want to be in a legit militia.
Here is a list of real state defense forces with their webistes. Click this link and scroll down.
http://www.vajoe.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=18
There are private groups out there as well who claim to be state militias.

Last edited by jhgreasemonkey; August 14, 2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old August 13, 2008, 08:10 PM   #16
IdahoG36

There is only one problem with a militia these days. You will be labeled as "domestic terrorists" by the government.
Old August 13, 2008, 08:10 PM   #17
Unregistered

Let me guess, you consider yourself a sheep dog?
Old August 15, 2008, 01:33 PM   #18
Eghad

In Texas we already have...

http://www.agd.state.tx.us/stateguar...stateguard.asp

I would join up but did the Army Thing for over 28 years..time to let the youngsters have a turn.

I did turn in an application to volunteer in the Civil Air Patrol.

NRA Life Member
Old August 15, 2008, 02:37 PM   #19
Rant Casey

Are we talking head to toe walmart camo, hi point carrying militia or are we talking about a private national guard militia. If it's the former, no thanks. Most of the "militia" men i've met were both overweight, heavy drinkers and smokers, who are more worried about the federal government killing them then they're own vices. I guess I can't take anyone who abuses their bodies seriously, especially in a "i'm going to overthrow the gov if I can make it up these two flights of stairs without weezing" scenerio. Any time an armed group of men decide that they have the power to overthrow the USA it ends badly, no matter their motive. Example: The Order. Making an aryan paradise isn't as easy as they thought, counterfitting money, robbing armored cars, and shooting Alan Berg didn't work out all too well for the members including Robert Jay Mathews burned alive on whidbey island during a shoot out with the rest of the surviving members in prison under the RICO act.

Point being, if you want to help, like someone previously said, join the red cross. If you want to fight, join the Marines. You won't see me joining a Militia, I don't particulary like hanging out with undercover federal agents nor being burned alive by the ATF. If we're ever invaded i'll be one of the first jaded marines on the street, but until then, I'll protect myself, my friends and family. I don't need to play soldier, i've had enough of the real thing to last a few lifetimes. Throwing on camo and ranting about mind control drugs in the water is the last thing I need.
Old August 15, 2008, 02:53 PM   #20
jhgreasemonkey

Didn't anyone read mine, Tom2, and Eghad's posts?!

There are more options than joining some fringe private militia who may have a questionable or illegal motive.

Many state governments have a volunteer defense/militia force that is legitimate. Meaning strictly a state force. They may assist the national guard within the state but are seperate, being that the national guard is state and Federal.

It is pretty unlikely that the OP is not going to be interested in joining the red cross if his interest is militias!

Last edited by jhgreasemonkey; August 15, 2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old August 15, 2008, 03:01 PM   #21
Rant Casey

As I said.

Quote:
Are we talking head to toe walmart camo, hi point carrying militia or are we talking about a private national guard militia.
Old August 15, 2008, 03:28 PM   #22
Eghad

TXSG Mission - The Texas State Guard provides mission-ready military forces to assist State and local authorities in homeland security and community service.

Army - To provide trained soldiers for Defense Support to Civil Authorities (DSCA), support the Texas Army National Guard, and non-governmental organizations (NGO).
Air - Provide mission-capable airmen as a force multiplier for the Texas Air National Guard and for other missions in support of homeland secruity throughout Texas.

Maritime - To provide highly trained military personal for Defense Support to Civil Authorities (DSCA), for operations in the maritime, littoral, and riverine environments in support of homeland defense and in response to man-made or natural disasters.

The TSG reports to the Adjutant General of the ARNG for Texas

so no its a serious outfit.

NRA Life Member
Old August 15, 2008, 04:43 PM   #23
BillCA

I'm soooo glad to see that most members of the forum have such a "high" regard for militias. :barf:

The OP is asking about how a legitimate militia's organization and training might look in the 21st Century. How it might be used and how such an organization maintains discipline.

Instead of giving credible thought to the idea, we get most of the posts ranting about stereotype whack-job "militias", out of shape paranoid rednecks and Wal*Mart Rambos.

Go tour Florida after a hurricane has passed through. Often times you'll find that militia of one sitting on his porch with a shotgun or a 700 ADL rifle next to a sign warning off looters. Sometimes you'll find four or six of them guarding and patrolling a block or two, or at a roadblocked intersection to prevent looting. I saw it after Andrew and you can see it historically in archive photos.

There are plenty of organizations you can belong to to aid in emergency efforts before, during and after a disaster. The Red Cross, Salvation Army, Search & Rescue groups, planning agencies, Ham Radio groups, etc. But none of these groups will be in operation during a large-scale riot or civil unrest. Nor do these groups do much to deter looting after a major natural disaster.

I dare say that such a "militia" group might be used for logistical support of state NG troops and/or civil police authorities. Moving supplies, directing traffic, assisting in evacuations, driving specialized equipment, etc. I can see them - perhaps - providing security for supplies and equipment while more trained NG is the public interface.

And before you dismiss that overweight, middle-aged chain smoker, understand that there is more to a militia than being one of the young & eager who are strong like a bull and smart like a tractor. That "old guy" might be a master at logistics, or he may be the best radio-net man in the state. Or he could simply be an excellent tactician who can put people where they belong before trouble breaks out. The same thing can be said for that frail looking 72 year old who knows almost every acre in the county.

But go on criticizing the OP's question and militias in general. It's easier than exercising the gray cells.
Old August 15, 2008, 05:00 PM   #24
Rant Casey

I never said anything bad about true militias, however i've never encountered any where I am. I have met some militia wack jobs however back when I had a shooting spot out in the woods before i built my range. A conversation was sparked when they saw the purple heart plate on my truck and a very obese man my age (mid twenties) then explained to me how he had thought about enlisting but decided not to be a pawn to big brother etc.. Did I mention he had a semi auto mac 10 as his side arm and was decked out head to toe in camo? It's too bad he didn't enlist, he would have made a wonderful blubber shield for a humvee, he could have easilly stopped an IED, maybe two. His militia buddies were just as bad, one was a reservist who also "hated big brother". Granted, I am no fan of the current state of this country, at all, but these men weren't patriots, far from it. They didn't want to help anyone, they wanted to play rambo. I'm sorry that this was my experience with militia people, and i'm sure it does not represent the majority of militias. I was simply stating my disgust towards one subfaction of a militia group.

As for the obese/smoker comment, it was kind of off topic, and I appologize, I just find these people funny. Talking about protecting themselves, etc.. Then poisoning their bodies with chemically altered cigarettes purchased with taxes paid towards the gov they hate.
Old August 15, 2008, 05:11 PM   #25
S832

Im not comfortable having militias do anything other then play Rambo in the woods.

The police are trigger happy enough, I don't feel like being in a disaster area and having a couple of trigger happy wanna-be cops attempt to take the position of law enforcement.