The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 8, 2008, 12:47 AM   #1
Smaug

Just picked up my Redhawk

I'm hoping to go deer hunting this season. I just picked up my Redhawk this morning. I can't wait to take it to the range (maybe tomorrow) and get it zeroed.

It came with the Pachmayr presentation grips, the original "cowboy" grips, the manual, old orange cardboard box, the Leupold 4X EER scope, and rings. The rubber grips shown in the photos wrap around the backstrap, which I believe is unusual for Redhawks. I think this gun was the direct predecessor to the Super Redhawk, as it has the dents machined into the top of the barrel, even though it is only a Redhawk.

I got it for $575.

The single action trigger is not quite as good as the S&W 29 I had a few years ago, but very close. The double action is much better than the 29s was. It feels like it is a lot more substantial in construction than the 29.

Old September 8, 2008, 12:48 AM   #2
Smaug

two more...

Old September 8, 2008, 01:08 AM   #3
Swampghost

Shoot it as a single action and you'll be a lot more pleased with the trigger pull.

I'm a big fan of Ruger big bore pistols (Super Blackhawks) and a good gunsmith can make them something unforgetable. I guess that I'm just against double actions. In autos, the 5-6# pull is only on the first round. On revolvers it's every round.
Old September 8, 2008, 01:18 AM   #4
Smaug

Swampghost - I agree with you on this gun. This was designed to be a hunting gun, so I will probably do 90% of my shooting with it SA. DA would only be used just to keep in practice in case I found myself being charged by something, such as a rabid squirrel, when I happen to be carrying this.
Old September 8, 2008, 09:03 AM   #5
crowbeaner

What's the funny looking black thingie on top? Kinda hard to see the sights with that thing in the way! Anyway, it looks real clean from what I can see. No carbon staining on the chamber faces, and not too much ring on the cylinder from the bolt. I had the gold bead and V-notch rear sights on mine. You'll want a holster that will clear the scope so you can sit down with it on unless you plan on carring it in a shoulder rig; I always belt carried mine. They do get heavy at dark when you carry them all day hunting and hiking. Mine shot several loads well, so you can stuff it with whatever you have loaded; it shot best with Nosler 240 JHPs and the RCBS 44-240-SWC gascheck bullet over 24.0 and 25.0 of WW 296 respectively.
Old September 8, 2008, 11:01 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Nice looking revolver. Looks really clean and well taken care of. Good luck during deer season.
Old September 8, 2008, 11:40 AM   #7
CraigC

That's a good choice. Though you may find the 4x scope to be a challenge. Might end up wanting to swap it for a 2x. I don't know which was introduced first but the scope-ready Redhawk and Super Redhawk have been produced concurrently for years. The Redhawk is still offered by Ruger with rings. I should've bought a blued one when they were still available.
Old September 9, 2008, 07:37 PM   #8
Quarterbore

Wow how things change after one round, huh?

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=310125
Old September 9, 2008, 08:34 PM   #9
Smaug

Yep, and everyone who didn't start posting 2 days ago had already noticed.