The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 8, 2008, 11:04 PM   #1
Smaug

Interesting hour at the range

I went there with my Bersa 380, Ruger Mk. II, and my just-acquired-yesterday, Ruger Redhawk.

I like the 380 more every time I shoot it. A little 380 with a short sight radius has no right to be so easy to shoot.

Except as noted, all the Bersa targets were at 7 yds., offhand, first shot double-action. I shot about 1/3 of them with my weak hand. All the Mk. II targets were offhand at 25 yds. Either one-handed or two handed. Let me know if you see anything that looks not quite right...

In case you didn't spot it, Here is a hint as to what is wrong.
Old September 9, 2008, 09:57 AM   #2
kraigwy

I was looking at the target, not the broke gun, to see what was wrong. Looks like, (I wasnt there) the cross hair targets were fried from some sort of rest. People shoot differnant from a rest. On the B-27 target the rounds were off to the left. If I was coaching, and looking at the two targets, I'd say the shooter was pushing his triger finger too far in the trigger guard.

Take your 380, concentrate on just using the the tip of the finger on the trigger and see if the group dosnt move to the center of the B-27 target.

Also shoot differant targets when you swith to the weak hand so you can see which rounds from which hands go where.

Hey You asked.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 9, 2008, 11:00 AM   #3
Smaug

I did ask, and thanks for the pointers! I use the pad of my finger to pull the trigger. I don't know if I want to try the tip, as I'm pretty sure I won't do that under a combat situation, and the Bersa is a combat gun. I think I just need to adjust the sight to shoot centered with a combat grip.

I seem to shoot slightly left with the Bersa when using my right hand. (strong hand)

I shoot centered when using my weak hand.

I have zeroed the Mk. II's red dot to shoot centered with most ammo, so that seems to be OK.
Old September 9, 2008, 12:01 PM   #4
Keltyke

The Bersa has a light trigger in both DA and SA. Try it as suggested, with only the tip of the finger. The more you shoot it, the more accurate it will become. It's a fine, small carry gun.
Old September 9, 2008, 12:47 PM   #5
Ssgt Savage

Bersa

Common .380 over comp on your trigger finger. You have to find the sweet spot on your trigge finger(s) for each weapon you shoot. Mine is below middle fingernail top right edge on your Bersa and a few others. If I push through any farther I always put them o the left side then try to compensate by aiming right for comfort. A good exercise for your CQB Bersa is to rapid fire somewhere you can get away with it. Less thinking, more aiming and squeezing-simple theory. Gripping the Bersa .380. I use a standard grip with my strong arm placing my finger only about 3/8" into that trigger guard, full nest into grooved grip and thumb up. My weak arm comes in underneath wrapping my little finger, ring and middle finger over the strong arms same three fingers on the front of the grip. I then use my index on the weak side to wrap over the front of the trigger guard for a secure grip on a snappy little .380. This is the most important part. Both thumbs still up in this process of becoming one with the pistol. I lower my weak am thumb over my index finger below the slide and then drop my strong arm's thumb on top of it. The weak thumb serves as a finger guide on the trigger. I use it to push my firing finger back off the trigger and to keep it in place once I firm all of this up. Perhaps I should take a picture? In a modified, slightly slanted weaver stance (bad eyes) I use this grip by pushing the HG away with my strong arm and pulling back towards me with my weak at the same time. Kung Fu breathing of course and you have to find that spot where you don't shake. I can handle 4" - 6" groups at 60 feet with most small framed, sub-compacts now unless it's a paper weight like Hi Point.

I've got a Thunder .45 (Argentina Police issue and stamped) and the .380 I picked up for $189 from The Armory in VA Beach.

MY QUESTION to you is where did you get the wood grips? They look great. I have black polymer on my shiny girlie Bersa, need to thicken it up a bit as well.

Hope I can offer some help with that babble up there. I've been using it for decades. When I went to Blackwater they used an almost identical method for DAO pistol training. I am an NRA CPI/CRI and CSI and he pistol instructor for the NRA also suggested utilizing a similar grip when you have for both hands.

Let me know about those grips! Thanks
Old September 9, 2008, 01:06 PM   #6
Smaug

Ssgt Savage - The grips are stock. I've been told by the owner of www.bersatalk.com that mine is an old Bersa. Although I agree they do look good, they need some fitting. The right side one rubs on the external trigger linkage so that if I tighten the grips to where they should be, it interferes with the trigger such that it won't reset after a double-action shot. (i.e. one can only make one DA shot when dry-firing or on a dud round without racking the slide) Maybe ask over at bersatalk about the grips.

This should be simple work. Annoying to have to do it, but simple work with a file or sandpaper and a block of some sort. This is the kind of fit & finish issue that draws fire from the Walther guys. (and rightly so) But I was sold when I read that the Bersas are accurate, reliable, less expensive, and have better stock triggers than the Walthers.

I think I follow your grip suggestion, but again, I don't think I'll try it on the Bersa. In a situation where I would need to shoot it at an attacker, I will surely not be thinking of all that. I'd rather just adjust the sight to make it so that it shoots straight for me in my natural trigger-pulling.

On target pistols, I agree; it is important to be able to pull one's trigger finger straight back.
Old September 9, 2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Keltyke

Quote:
MY QUESTION to you is where did you get the wood grips?
I got mine on eBay. In fact, there's a set on there right now.

Do an eBay search for "Bersa". You'll find'em.