The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old September 22, 2008, 02:59 AM   #1
butta9999

.22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer

Has anyone heard of this caliber before. Im told its a .378 weatherby magnum necked down to a .224 cal. A little over bore dont you think. Is there truth to this.
Old September 22, 2008, 06:44 AM   #2
armedtotheteeth

hah, it sounds German
thye have them at wal mart here. Just kidding.

looks like Ackley was tryijng to surpass the 5000 FPS mark.
another atempt was the "17 Flintstone Super Eyebunger", based upon a 17 caliber 22-250 case.
Old September 22, 2008, 06:58 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

that guy knows what he's talkin bout...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg poa2.jpg (34.8 KB, 14978 views)
Old September 22, 2008, 10:16 AM   #4
Smokey Joe

Can you say...

Really, REALLY short bbl life?

(Gentle smile) I thought you could.

--Smokey Joe
Old September 22, 2008, 07:32 PM   #5
texastweeter

you can find more info on it at the reloaders nest
Old September 23, 2008, 12:18 AM   #6
butta9999

imagine the barrel blast coming out of that. Seems like a lot of powder to push a bullet out a a little quicker than the swift or .204. Did they reach the 5000fps though, if they did then i want one. Yeah right.
Old September 23, 2008, 12:53 AM   #7
Yithian

LMAO
I still have a great time with the name of the cartridge.

They should've used a Sabot. Less friction with plastic means less resistance and more speed from the barrel.
204cal Sabot'd into a 243. 224 into a 308 etc.

The fastest according to wikipedia was just over 4600fps on the earges...fart knocker.
Old September 23, 2008, 01:38 AM   #8
Go Kiwi

Sounds like the most inefficient cartridge ever if it can only go 4600

This guy is getting very near 5300 fps from his 22.243

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaB...=1221200761/15
Old September 23, 2008, 03:08 AM   #9
butta9999

Is the .22-243 strictly aa wildcat round? They keep bringing out these new cals .204, and some of the new .17's. Also these new wssm, looking for speed and the answer is the .22-243. Yes a barrel burner but all the over bores are.

Anyone had experience with the .22-243
Old September 23, 2008, 09:29 AM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Probably the world record for Pointless But Fun Endeavors was right after WW II. A couple of wildcatters meddled around and managed to get a .50 BMG case necked down to .22, and chambered a barrel for it.

It didn't get used very much...

, Art
Old September 23, 2008, 11:21 PM   #11
butta9999

do you have any idea what the verlocities were out of the BMG Art.
Old September 24, 2008, 12:45 AM   #12
Swampghost

I used to work with a guy that made wildcat brass and rounds not that they would ever be fired. He did it just for the fun of working the machines (CNC turning centers) and boggling peoples minds.

IMHO his best was a 600-22 based on a 600NE round necked down to .223.

Manufacture something that could hold everything together and you would have a really serious varmint rifle.
Old September 24, 2008, 08:30 AM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Velocity? Not really. I'm already dredging from memory, from over fifty years back.

Phil Sharpe wrote of a Frankford Arsenal experimental "gun" that managed to get a ten-caliber, ten-grain projectile well above 5,000 ft/sec, but I'd have to go hunt it up. Sometime in the 1930s...

I think I read somewhere that the maximum velocity of the pressure wave of burning gunpowder is around 10,000 ft/sec, but don't quote me on that.
Old September 24, 2008, 08:50 AM   #14
pesta2

Skip Talbot (met the man once really nice guy, RIP) necked a .50 BMG down to .338.
Old September 24, 2008, 09:06 PM   #15
Jimro

The 22 eargenshplitten loudenboomer had a problem with spinning bullets so fast they would tear apart before reaching the target.

Jimro
Old September 24, 2008, 09:12 PM   #16
thekyrifleman

I think Mr Ackley was intending to have fun with the lot of us who try to stuff as much powder as possible into as large a case as possible with the smallest caliber possible....well you get the idea.....
Old September 25, 2008, 03:09 AM   #17
butta9999

yes we all try to have fun, maybe not to the point like Mr Ackley
Old September 26, 2008, 12:20 AM   #18
Dave Haven

In WWI, the Germans were getting 5280 FPS with a 210 mm cannon and shelling Paris from a distance of 80 miles. Do a search for "paris gun".

pesta2, I met Skip Talbot a couple of times. As you said, he was a nice guy. His .338-.50 Talbot would develop 3700 FPS with a 250 grain bullet. Barrel life was relatively short, due to throat erosion. (Imagine that!)
Old September 26, 2008, 01:53 AM   #19
FrankenMauser

Most eager wildcatters that approached the 5,000 fps mark had to go to smooth bores. The energy required to spin the bullet in rifled bores was too much of a hinderance. Smooth bores allow much more energy to be used for velocity, instead of stability. And as noted.... a 4,500+ fps projectile of 'common' construction, just doesn't hold up to the centrifugal force.
Old September 26, 2008, 11:07 AM   #20
Scorch

The 5,000 fps mark was like the Holy Grail back in the 1950s, trying to develop the super-round without computers was mostly trial and error. So you picked bigger and bigger cases, stuffed them full of powder with lightweight bullets, and pulled the trigger. Not surprisingly, they found out what we take for granted, that there is only so much powder you can burn in a rifle barrel, and the smaller the bore, the less powder you can burn. They also discovered propagation rates, burn rate limitations, gas flame temperatures, shock wave speed, and many other nifty things not generally discussed outside of engineering circles. People experimented with cartridge shape, cartridge length, shoulder angles and shapes, flash hole size, primer flame duration, you name it. We got such wonders as the 22 Newton, 25 Newton, 22 Savage Hi-Power, 22 Swift, the ridiculous 22 Eargesplittenloudenboomer, 6mm Thermos Bottle, the Weatherby rounds with "double venturi" shoulders, Ackley Improved, RCBS Improved, and Huntington Improved cartridges, etc. Everybody had an idea about what worked and why. Whenever someone would declare affirmatively that you needed such-and-such to achieve the 5,000 fps mark, someone would come along with a wildcat round and prove them wrong. The tail end of it that I saw was really quite entertaining as a spectator sport. When computers and CAD became available, scientists started scientifically designing cartridges, and we started to see the little giant slayers like the 222, 243/6mm, and then the PPC and BR rounds, which were so much more efficient that they achieved amazing velocities with so little powder that people had to wonder why they had been chasing the bigger cases in the first place. We have now approached the capability limits of propellants and bullets, and the next generation of ammunition will be substantially different from what we use now. Maybe sabot rounds with tricyclic propellants (plastic explosives to us non-technical types)?
Old October 15, 2008, 02:30 AM   #21
Enfield476

22 Eragesplitten Loudenboomer

It's my understanding (and I'm probably wrong), that this idea was born while two buddies sat over a table with a scotch bottle between them, and stands right alongside every other wild-minded idea about the ultimate velocity hyper-flash projectile, right alongside the 219 Sting Ray, the 220 Shannon and every one of these fun rounds. It's about fun, and nothing else.

I have since learned about "Fun"...

Many years ago, I bought a "cheap" Remington 788 in 22-250 for about 60 bucks. "It ain't nothin' but a varmint gun fer my kid. He thinks that it's ugly." said the guy who sold it to me. Yeah, the rifle had that cheap painted-on brown finish, making it look like a K-Mart reject. Well, I hit the stock with "Strip-It" spray, then refinished the stock with Old English Stain and True-Oil. I channeled out the barrel cut in the stock. I glass-bedded the thing, thinking "Gosh..I might need to buy a new barrel for this old clunker".

Silly me...

I had an old Weaver T-10 rifle scope with nothing to do but get dusty on my bench, and spent the extravagance of buying Redfield mounts and rings for the durned thing. Then I cooked and poured, looking over manuals, laughing at myself for spending so much time dealing with this cheap rifle. I eventually came up with a recipe that involved IMR4895 and teeny-weeny little 52 grain hollow point boat tails (I'd never shot anything this small that did not include the words "Rim Fire").

Anyhow...

I trundled off to the rifle range, whistling to the radio tunes, eventually arriving with my new "BB-Gun", paid my fee, then sat down to an easy afternoon of shootin' at the 100-yard bench. I was a bit annoyed after ten rounds. I had fired ten shots, and only one had hit the target. I fired five more. They all must have missed, for there was only one hole.

The range officer saw my consternation and approached. "Perhaps you might try the three hundred yard range."

"What for," I asked, obviously irked, "...this damned thing can't hit at a hundred..."

Well, I put a sucker in my mouth and wandered over to the longer range, settling down for some serious ego-bashing. I adjusted my scope for the range difference, then settled down and fired ten rounds. The range officer was still with me, and called for a cease fire. We walked to the targets, my heart low as I knew that I hadn't hit Texas, let alone paper. As we approached, my jaw dropped. The range officer reached into his pocket and searched though his pocket-change. I was beginning to ask myself if he was going to call My Mommy to come and get me when he pulled out a dime and placed it over my group, covering it entirely. He looked at me and grinned. "Yup...she shoots pretty good, don't she..."

So much for cheap rifles...
Old October 15, 2008, 09:58 AM   #22
Bogie

I've run a 6BR up to 4,000 fps... Or maybe it was a 6PPC... Little 40 grain bullets, and AA2200 powder.

I don't recommend that y'all try it.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old October 15, 2008, 10:47 AM   #23
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Imagine what the pressures must be with a neck that sharp.... no thanks.

I read of a guy in a rag (MAYBE Field and Stream or Outdoor Life?) many years ago that was shooting some sort of wildcat .22-250 and he claimed (I emphasize claimed) that he was getting over 6000fps and couldn't use lead-tipped bullets because the air friction would melt the lead.
Old October 15, 2008, 07:46 PM   #24
pbrktrt

i thought i'd read somewhere that Weatherby & the defense dept. had worked on a rifle & load that reached 5000 fps. anyone else remember this?
Old October 15, 2008, 07:57 PM   #25
jimbo_4

I wonder what it would do as a varmint gun?? Probably wouldn't have to gut it... maybe wouldn't even have to skin it.
Closed Thread