The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 6, 2008, 12:07 PM   #1
mj_neid

looking to buy a rifle need some input

i told my wife when i get my CCW handguns become a "as often as "need"" type of fire arm but i want to get a good shot gun (which i have) and a good rifle, perf. assult style. the choices that i've narrowed down to as of right now is a F&N PS90 - Rock River Arms AR15 - a Sig Arms 556 - or (if i am correct) MTAR 556

any suggestions.....or any other firearm...
Old October 6, 2008, 09:44 PM   #2
10-96

You can spend as much money as you want to- but if it's not going to be an everyday shooter, a patrol rifle, varmint or other hunting rifle with high use (5K rnds + per year)- might as well save some bucks and get the Rock River. It's a solid rifle that'll last many - many years, the trigger is wonderful, good reputation, they use quality pieces and parts. I am of the opinion that anybody who made truely sub-standard AR's would have been squoze out of the market (business) a long time ago. I'm about to open myself up for an e-beating, but here goes... You may not be happy with the trigger and metal finish- but even an Olympic Arms will likely do what you want it to. I'm still trying to wear mine out or make it fail. Sure, it isn't nearly the rifle that my Rock River or Bushmaster is- but truth is, it'll go bang when you need it to. But, if money is no object and bragging rights rate high- then pick the most expensive one cause it'll work too.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 6, 2008, 10:33 PM   #3
overkill556x45

I'd go with the .223 offerings. I'd prefer the RRA myself. My shooting buddy has an RRA carbine that has swallowed thousands of rounds of Wolf, as well as surplus, and low end .223. The trigger is great. I just dropped one into my M&P15.

I am also opening myself up for an e-beating, but I find the 5.7x28mm round to be somewhat suspect. 40gr bullet at 2100fps is only a little hotter than 22 magnum (Winchester Super-X 22 mag: 40gr bullet @ 1910fps). Will it kill stuff? Sure. I'd rather have a 55gr bullet at 3000fps IMHO.
Old October 7, 2008, 07:55 AM   #4
mj_neid

i dont ness. want to be "top dog" at the range i just want something that is fun to shoot, easy to get parts for, and last a REALLY long time, since this may be my only rifle i buy....