The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 27, 2008, 12:45 PM   #1
DouglasW

Mossberg 930 -- Magazine capacity?

Looking to pick up a Mossberg 930 for HD, but I'm a bit confused regarding their magazine capacity.

Mossberg's site states the HS model has a capacity of 5 rounds (4+1), the tactical has a capacity of 5+1 (though the magazines look the same length in the photo)...and the many glowing reviews here state the 930 SPX has a 7 round magazine, thanks to a Choate +2 extension. But 4+2=6 last time I checked, not seven. So how long is the magazine on the SPX without the Choate extension?

The reason I ask is that my wonderful city of Denver prohibits semi-auto shotties with a magazine greater than 6...so I'm trying to figure out how to get no more (and no less) than 6 rounds of 2 3/4 into a 930 SPX magazine...

Also, how difficult would it be to shorten the magazine of the SPX by removing the +2 and replacing it with a +1 from Choate? Would I just unscrew the +2 and screw on the +1 in it's place?

Thanks.
Old October 27, 2008, 01:50 PM   #2
zippy13

Here we go, again! Total capacity vs. magazine capacity. This has been confusing folks (myself included) since manufactures started being less specific in their ads and specs. You need to check your city ordinance very carefully. Like the Second Amendment, there are three things to consider: What did the city fathers originally mean; what does the ordinance actually say; and how do the local DA and courts interpret the ord.

We've all heard how the possession of a single part can get you busted under the feds broad interpretation of the NFA. Consequently, I'd avoid any aftermarket extension, trimmed or not. It might demonstrate your intent and capability to violate the ord.

If you really want to cover your back side, write a letter to the DA:
Dear _______,
I intend to purchase a _______ model__________ with a magazine capacity of _______. I understand this model is in compliance with all city ordinances enacted and pending as of this date. Is this correct?
Of course, if you're not concerned about a potential legal battle, go with your own interpretation and take a firm stand.
Good luck!
Old October 27, 2008, 02:08 PM   #3
MAX100

Mossberg made a mistake on their specs.

Fact: "All" 930 shotguns without a mag tube extension have 4+1 capacity.

A mag tube ext just screws on and off like the mag cap.

GC
Old October 27, 2008, 02:37 PM   #4
DouglasW

Thanks for the replies, guys:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max100
Mossberg made a mistake on their specs.

Fact: "All" 930 shotguns without a mag tube extension have 4+1 capacity.

A mag tube ext just screws on and off like the mag cap.
But if you're sure that the standard magazine only holds four (4) 2-3/4 shells....how are people getting 8 rounds (7+1) into their SPXs if the Choate extension is only a +2?

From an online review of the SPX:
Quote:
The shotgun is able to chamber 2.75" and 3" shells. With 2.75" rounds the mag tube will hold seven rounds fully charged. With 3" shells this capacity drops to six. That totals out to either eight or seven total rounds, respectively.
Old October 27, 2008, 02:45 PM   #5
DouglasW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy13
You need to check your city ordinance very carefully
Thanks for your concern, Zippy. I've checked and double-checked the Denver ordinance Sec.38-130. "Assault weapons" (sic) and it clearly states that, within Denver, you may not possess:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revised Municipal Code City and County of Denver
semiautomatic shotguns with a folding stock or a magazine capacity of more than six (6) rounds or both
So it appears to me that a semi-automatic shotgun such as the 930 SPX with a fixed stock and a magazine capacity of 6 rounds (not magazine plus chamber) is completely legal.

Anyone interpret this differently?
Old October 27, 2008, 03:54 PM   #6
zippy13

930 SPX not for Devner

Oops....
The 930 SPX has a custom Choate 3-round extension!
From the Mossy catalog:
To put the "X" in SPX, Mossberg has installed a Choate magazine tube extension to the shotgun. This component takes the capacity to seven plus one in the chamber.

Old October 27, 2008, 03:57 PM   #7
DouglasW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy13
930 SPX not for Denver
I realize the stock SPX is no-go here. If I bought the SPX, I would change out the magazine extension for a +1 or +2 from Choate to bring the magazine down to a 6 round capacity.
Old October 27, 2008, 04:02 PM   #8
tomgun

limiter

inside my mossberg 500 was a dowel to limit the amount of ammo.
simply remove it or trim to your desired amount.
Old October 27, 2008, 04:51 PM   #9
zippy13

DouglasW

I'm on your side, but I'm playing devil's advocate...
Even with a standard 2 round extension (that complies), the factory specs say the mag capacity for a SPX is 7 and, I'm guessing, that's what the authorities would go buy.

tomgun
"inside my mossberg 500 was a dowel to limit the amount of ammo.
simply remove it or trim to your desired amount."
A magazine plug (limiter) is acceptable in the enforcement of hunting regulations. However, since it's a temporary item, I doubt the anti "assault weapons" folks would accept it. Do you remember, during the 10-round limit era, high-capacity box mags that were "plugged" to 10-rounds had to be welded closed so you couldn't remove the plug?
Old October 27, 2008, 06:09 PM   #10
Smitty in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasW
I realize the stock SPX is no-go here. If I bought the SPX, I would change out the magazine extension for a +1 or +2 from Choate to bring the magazine down to a 6 round capacity.
Be very careful.... Here in CT, sub-division (4) of the Assault Weapon definition states:
Quote:
(4) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.
So....... here in CT, even if you make the shotgun compliant to the above arbritary rules, but you have all of the parts that can be assembles into an "assault wepon" you're still in violation of the law.... has nothing to do with intent.... check that Colorado lets you at least have the parts in the same location.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old October 27, 2008, 06:17 PM   #11
DouglasW

Hi Smitty.

I intend to be fully compliant with Denver's AWB, and would either sell the stock Choate mag extension -- perhaps to someone outside Denver who wishes to increase their HS model's magazine capacity -- or I might just mail it to my brother in Florida for safekeeping, in the unlikely case I move out of Denver or (even more unlikely) the laws here become less restrictive.

PM sent, too.
Old October 28, 2008, 04:13 PM   #12
MAX100

The 930 is a 4+1 capacity shotgun. The Choate tube ext on the SPX is a +3 no matter what Choate, Mossberg or anyone says. Moss 930 SPX 7+1 capacity.

GC
Old October 28, 2008, 04:52 PM   #13
DouglasW

Thanks for the clarification, Max.
Old November 13, 2008, 04:17 PM   #14
Warthog

Just to clarify a bit more: The SPX, as delivered, does indeed hold 7+1 - 2 3/4" shells. However, if you go to buy the same extension from Choate to put on, say, a 930 Tactical, you want the "7 shot" extension. But they say in their description that it adds only 2 shell capacity to the gun. Actually, both statements are sort of true. The SPX utilizes the factory cup-type follower that comes on all 930's. But when you buy the extension from Choate, they send you a nice bright orange anti-tilt follower that has, of course, an anti-tilt extension that limits the compression of the spring a bit. If you use this follower, as I decided to, you will be just shy of being able to insert 7 - 2 3/4" shells in the tube. You will be able to get 6+1 capacity with 2 3/4" and 3" shells.

Of course, you can allways use the stock follower, but it has been shown vulnerable to tipping in some circumstances, when using the extended tube. Hope this helps and doesn't just add to the confusion.

ETA: The correct Choate part # for this extension is #02-04-32.

Last edited by Warthog; November 15, 2008 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Added Choate Model #
Old November 15, 2008, 01:59 PM   #15
Warthog

To address the OP more directly:

Quote:
The reason I ask is that my wonderful city of Denver prohibits semi-auto shotties with a magazine greater than 6...so I'm trying to figure out how to get no more (and no less) than 6 rounds of 2 3/4 into a 930 SPX magazine...

Also, how difficult would it be to shorten the magazine of the SPX by removing the +2 and replacing it with a +1 from Choate? Would I just unscrew the +2 and screw on the +1 in it's place?
If you replace the stock SPX follower with an anti-tip unit, the magazine will now only hold 6 rounds of either 2.75" or 3". If you buy the above mentioned Choate tube for a non-extended model, it will come with this part already. This should meet your requirements exactly. HTH
Old November 15, 2008, 02:32 PM   #16
4thPointofContact

Want to know the easiest way to reduce the magazine capacity of a SPX by 1 is?

Just load it with Federal LE132-00 reduced recoil buckshot (other Federal rounds are probably the same). LE132's are about >.< that much longer than the standard 2 3/4 inch shell. It's not much but after six shells >......< it adds up and the 7th won't fit in a SPX magazine tube by less than 1/4 inch.

Want to know the easiest way to increase the magazine capacity of a SPX by 1 LE132-00 is?
Just replace the stock spring with one from a 590, it allows that 7th shell to fit in like it was made for the SPX.
Old November 22, 2008, 10:32 PM   #17
Bushmaster1313

Mossberg 930 SPX

Just went to a Dick's in New Jersey. In New Jersey a semi-auto shotgun can have no more than a six shell capacity.

What I saw looked different from the Mossberg SPX I once saw in a Dick's in Pennsylvania.

The one in Pennsylvania looked like a 20 inch barrel with a 7 or 8 shell magazine that went to the end of the barrel.

The one I saw in the New Jersey Dicks looked like an 18 inch barrel with a two shot extension that did not quite reach the end of the barrel for what I guess is a total of 6 shells in the magazine.

Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks
Old November 24, 2008, 02:41 PM   #18
Warthog

The anti-tilt follower is a very easy install and prevents loading more than 6 rounds of any brand. It should satisfy any lawmakers as the gun cannot function if you remove the follower -- it's not just a spacer.
Old November 24, 2008, 10:06 PM   #19
Bushmaster1313

Expect the new Congress to reauthorize the so-called assault weapons ban and to limit semi-auto shotguns to 5-shot magazines.

Also, note that New Jersey outlaws the Ruger Mini-14 folding stock receiver. If the receiver has an "F" stamped on it it is contraband -- even if the receiver is mated to a plain vanilla non-folding stock!

I would be very careful about jiggering an SPX with a 3 shot extension to make it seem like a 2 shot extension.

I would only buy a 930 that left the factory with a 4 shot magazine and add a +1 or a +2 extension from Choate.

Be careful out there.
Old November 25, 2008, 11:11 PM   #20
Bushmaster1313

How do you remove magazine spring retainer

How do you remove the magazine spring retainer from the end of the magazine on the Mossberg 930?
Old November 26, 2008, 10:54 PM   #21
ultraclassic2008

magazine extension question

Last edited by ultraclassic2008; November 29, 2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old November 26, 2008, 11:04 PM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

You would be wise to get the correct breaching ammo as well...
Brent
Old December 12, 2008, 02:17 PM   #23
Warthog

You remove the retainer by simply pulling it out. It has expansion fitting, so simply hook a tool in one of the slots and pry it up - slightly! Work it out slowly and evenly. It's really quite easy.

As far a using a shotgun for breaching, it is extremely important to use only special-purpose frangible breaching slugs. They are pricey, but there isn't a safe alternative.
Old November 28, 2009, 04:23 AM   #24
Mateba

So does the SPX use the same follower as the HS? and not the orange choate follower, thereby allowing it to be 7+1?
Old April 3, 2010, 12:09 AM   #25
Agent456

Some more info...

Sorry to bump this but I think I can clarify... The Mossberg 930 SPX is a great gun to start off with. It's pretty much the same thing that Bennelli sells to our troops for a fraction of the price. It's advertised as having a 7 round magazine capacity. I live in Jersey and have seen it a few gunstores with the 7 round mag (stock of course). In New Jersey, dealers are cautious as hell in what they sell. You'll never see anything illegal in the few stores there are. Now, technically, it can hold 7. But it has to be 7 2 3/4 shells and only certain brands will fit. If you ever checked, the length between 2 3/4 inch shells between manufacturers varies quite a bit. So actually, with many, if not most brands, you can only get 6 in. The 1 ounce Remington Game loads can tightly hold 7 shells, but anything longer than those and 7 just won't fit. And if you happen to have various brands of shells and a 3/4 or one ounce Remington Game load, you notice every brand of shell is at least a bit bigger, in some cases vastly bigger.

It tightly fit's 6 3" shells, so if you do the math, It's easy to see how tight that chamber would be loading 2 3/4" shells

Regardless of where you live (within reason of course) as long as you're going to a reputable dealer it's unlikely they'd be selling something that was illegal especially considering the 930 SPX is all stock hardware. I guess you can ask them? Anyway, if it's a big deal just get the 930 tactical. That's a nice gun, especially with the heat shield. It's always fun to "supe up" your own guns but sometimes it's better to buy it that way. In this case, the heat shield, which may or may not be a big deal for you, I really prefer to have, love the way it makes the gun look and if youre like me and shoot alot of shells it keeps the barrel from getting too hot too quick. Second, the 930 Tactical got the "Crusher Barrel" with a mock muzzlebreak that looks cool and gives the gun a nicer look, and has the sharp jagged crusher which can be used as a backup weapon, like a mini-bayonet. Anyway, the point is, you can't get these aftermarket, so do youre research on which model is best for you and keep in mind what if anything you might want to do to it! If you want a heatshield for a 930 I don't think u can even get one through Mossberg. If you wanted the crusher barrel you'd have to shell out for a whole new barrel. You can easily add a mag extension to the tactical and then the only difference between the SPX would be the rail at the top and the sites.

And just a heads up for 930 SPX OWNERS - for anyone that got a 930 SPX with the regular stock you can now buy the same stock on the 930 SPX with pistol grip through Choate. They make the ones Mossberg puts on their guns. Not only does the stock have a comfortable pistol grip, it handles recoil much better than the standard stock. It's only like $70. Get em while u can because they're only making so many cause it just fits the 930 and is meant to give people that bought the original the chance to upgrade to the pistol grip stock.

Last edited by Agent456; April 3, 2010 at 12:16 AM.