The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 27, 2008, 09:58 PM   #1
kraigwy

Barrel Obstructions: Not for the weak of heart

Not for the week of heart. Just for information purposes, I don’t recommend you do this at home, but may come in handy.
One thing one encounters in running a rifle range is a stuck bullet in the barrel. Cased by other reasons but mostly inadequate amount of powder.
Its best to remove the rifle from the range but there will come times when the obstruction needs to be removed.
This is not a new problem and is not limited to hand loaded ammunition. What was done in the early years (post WWI) on an army range, the range officer would often remove the bullet and half the powder from another round, chambers it, elevate the rifle so as the powder would set on the primer and fire the rifle. Depending on the location of the bullet, it would normally come out.
Gen Hatcher, (Hatchers Notebook) in testing this, found the pressure was somewhat less than the normal camber pressure of the service cartridge. After each firing, the barrel was measured at different intervals to determine any change or swelling of the barrel. Even up to the full charge of powder. Several tests were done with the bullet at different places in the barrel. The same results were found, No damage to the barrel.
Ok I read this section of Gen Hatchers book several times but paid little attention to it. Then last summer I had a rifle stored in my shop waiting to be rebarreled. I notice when examining the barrel that wasp (dirtdobers) had made a home in the barrel. I figured, why not, it wasn’t the dumbest thing I’ve done. It was a 308 barrel, (my go to charge for 308s is 41.5 grns of 4895 with a 168-175 grn bullet). I loaded up a case with 15 grns of 4895, secured the rifle (nothing says safety like a lead sled and a long string), and fired off the case. The mud wasp nest was about 4 inches from the muzzle of the barrel, 15 gns didn’t move it, and so I tried 25 grns. Same results, I couldn’t tell it moved. This with 35 grns of 4895 the wasp nest was shot out of the barrel. The barrel had no visible damage to the outside, although the area of the nest looked scratched up (course sand in the nest was my guess). This mattered not; I was going to rebarrell it anyway.
This got me thinking of Gen Hatchers test. Finely I got the dumb ideal of trying it with a bullet. I have a Model 700 that I had made for an across the course gun to use after I got distinguished with the service rifle, but didn’t use it much since I started playing with ARs, I figured WHY NOT. I use just enough powder to get the bullet (173 grn M118) about six inches from the muzzle before it got stuck. I marked the barrel in one inch places out to the muzzle, (25 inch barrel). I took the measurements of the action at the chamber end and the length. And at each one inch spot I marked, and back to the Lead Sled and string. Again I used the 35 grn charge of 4995 and touched off the rifle, dislodging the bullet from the barrel. I again took measurements and could not detect any swelling or budges. I ran a lightly oil patch down the barrel, then a dry patch. I examined the barrel and didn’t find the scratches or damages I got from the dirt wasp nest.
I then took my target loads and fired a series of 10 shot groups, I could not detect any difference from the groups I fired before I got the bullet stuck and removed.
I know there are skeptics, I can’t do anything about that. I just know what I’ve studied and has worked for me. There are times when a barrel will get an obstruction and can’t be removed without destroying the barrel. This procedures may or may not work in every case, but a ruined barrel is a ruined barrel whether its ruined before or after trying to remove the obstruction.
Do I recommend this, NOPE, I recommend you take it too a qualified gunsmith. Would I do it again if I had an obstruction? Yes, I also know I may have to replace the barrel or gun if it doesn’t work.
Remember safety concerns come first before doing any experiments . I’ve done a lot of dumb things in my 40+ years working with guns, some worked some didn’t. Remember a lead sled and a long string is cheap insurance.
If this post floats, then maybe I’ll post some more of my dumb ideals and experiments. I’m sure I’m gonna catch some flak but what the heck. If people didn’t do stuff because other people said it wouldn’t work, we’d still be throwing rocks. File this in your FOR WHAT ITS WORTH DEPARTMENT.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 27, 2008, 10:15 PM   #2
Jeffenwulf

Hoping I never have the chance to use this knowledge, but I like knowing just the same. Thanks!
Old December 27, 2008, 10:24 PM   #3
Deaf Smith

Kraig,

Very interesting. I have Hatchers Notebook and I'll have to read up on this. Hope I don't ever need it. Normaly with a stuck bullet I get a cleaning rod and a hammer, run the rod down the barrel and then use the hammer to presuade the bullet to move out.
Old December 28, 2008, 06:15 AM   #4
sourdough44

Thanks for the interesting test. No flame here.
Old December 28, 2008, 07:37 AM   #5
csmsss

Not flaming here, but it's definitely not something I'd ever do personally. I just don't see the benefit over the simpler and safer technique of pounding the obstruction out of the barrel.
Old December 28, 2008, 07:44 AM   #6
dannyb

I was trained to be a scientist. Excellent lab write up. This is how information is gained, recorded, and transmitted. I'm especially pleased with the emphasis that you used appropriate safety precautions such as the lead sled and lanyard. I suppose I would have been happier had you been behind some kind of shield as well. What type of safety clothing were you wearing at the time?
Old December 28, 2008, 11:13 AM   #7
johnwilliamson062

"Lead sled and lanyard"
I usually just close my eyes. Really, really tight.
Old December 28, 2008, 10:50 PM   #8
HiBC

When this situation occurs there may be some risk of hurting the barrel in any case.

Whacking on a rod has its risks,also.as the bullet recieves the blows,some upsetting occurs.This can cause the bullet to become tighter,If the rod walks off the center of the bullet and contacts the bore,the rifling recieves some knocks.

I don't have a lead sled .An old tire works:-)

I have never stuck one.I'd give it a try.
Old December 29, 2008, 11:01 PM   #9
bottom rung

A truly informative post Kraig. JohnWilliamson really has the field improvisation method down. Haha.