The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 3, 2009, 11:17 AM   #1
ClemBert

Misaligned barrel, poor workmanship?

I just received a new Uberti made 1858 Remington. Initial inspection shows a pretty well made firearm for the most part...but...and you knew a "but" was coming...it would seem that the barrel alignment is less than perfect. Unfortunately, the front sight is mounted on that misaligned barrel and that front sight is pretty useful when trying to hit point-of-aim. I've seen a few of you complain about misaligned barrels in the past but the specifics of how bad the alignment was and what the solution was escapes me. So, the question becomes what IS acceptable? Nothing is ever perfect but reasonable tolerances are expected. I would expect, off the top of my head, that a barrel should be within 1/2 of a degree within perfect alignment. As you can see from the pictures below the alignment is less than ideal. I estimate this barrel to be between 3 and 5 degrees beyond top dead center (assuming the barrel is screwed in clockwise as seen from the muzzle).

Sorry for the bad pictures. I did the very best I could with the equipment I have to take pictures detailing the problem. It is very difficult to exhibit the problem in this manner.

Is this fixable? Would you accept this or just send it back? Have you seen this problem before? Thoughts?

Last edited by ClemBert; April 3, 2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old April 3, 2009, 11:28 AM   #2
AdmiralB

The two I got from Midway were like that (both sent back for other reasons), the one I own now (from Buffalo) was like that.

However, it shot to point of aim.

I contacted Cimarron and they had me send it to a warranty guy (about 70 miles from me), who fixed it (simply tightened the barrel).

Of course, then I had to drift the sight over, since it no longer shot to point of aim!

If it bugs you, contact Cimarron. They've changed their warranty policy now and I think everything has to go to a guy in Texas, but they'll fix it if you want.
Old April 3, 2009, 11:37 AM   #3
ClemBert

Quote:
the one I own now (from Buffalo) was like that.
Would you say it was off by 3-5 degrees?

The reason I asked if it could be "fixed" (I know that it can but can it be fixed right) is if the barrel does in fact screw in clockwise that means you would have to "loosen" or unscrew it 5 degrees to get it aligned. I'm no gunsmith but I assume the barrel would still be tight if unscrewed. I do wonder, however, if this means there would be a gap between where the exterior of the barrel meets the frame. It certainly means increasing the gap between the barrel and cylinder...but...we are talking about the oh so slightest movement of the barrel. Just curious.
Old April 3, 2009, 11:57 AM   #4
sundance44s

I`ve bought several this way myself ....I finally found a local gunsmith that was willing to adjust the barrels to the frames so I could shoot point of aim .
The Uberti Remington of course has a front sight dove tailed in ....but on some you would have to drift the front sight so far to one side it just doesn`t look right ....I`ve had those straightened out also ...much more pleaseing to shoot now ........you might check with some local gunsmiths about makeing the fix ...I think I paid 20.00 for the last one I had fixed ...still a good deal on these Italian made guns ......for what I paid for them ...and they are good shooters now...................I had thought about buying a barrel and frame wrench ( which is what it would take ) ...for both around 100.00 ...at midway
Old April 3, 2009, 12:37 PM   #5
grymster2007

You could make a steel spacer from shim stock to tighten the barrel back down to. Calculate the thickness based on the thread pitch and how far it needs to rotate to clock correctly, place the spacer and crank the barrel back down.
Old April 3, 2009, 12:40 PM   #6
ClemBert

Quote:
You could make a steel spacer from shim stock to tighten the barrel back down to. Calculate the thickness based on the thread pitch and how far it needs to rotate to clock correctly, place the spacer and crank the barrel back down.
Thank you for your suggestion. I do appreciate it but that just seems a bit cheesy for a brand new Uberti out of the box don't you think?
Old April 3, 2009, 12:41 PM   #7
Hawg

That little bit of tweaking won't hurt anything. It will still be tight with no gap.
Old April 3, 2009, 01:03 PM   #8
grymster2007

Quote:
just seems a bit cheesy for a brand new Uberti out of the box don't you think?
Done right, you'll probably be the only one that knows the shim is there.... other than us, of course. It will change the gap but probably not by much. If you post the thread pitch and angle of rotation you need, I'll tell you how thick. My '58 Pietta has the same business and maybe I'll fix it someday. My '63 Pocket Remington's barrel runs off a couple of degrees to the right. I don't know for sure what the problem is with that one, but seems that maybe the front of the frame is not perpendicular to the cylinder axis. If that's the case I may have to machine it so it is.
Old April 3, 2009, 01:08 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Done right, you'll probably be the only one that knows the shim is there.
Why does he need a shim? Backing it up that little bit isn't going to make it loose.
Old April 3, 2009, 01:29 PM   #10
madcratebuilder

I would send it back. If not, just turn it back a quarter turn and re-tighten, stopping when the sight is correct. It's only off a few degrees, there should be plenty of torque on the threads when your done. It's not going to change the gap by more than a thousandth or so, if that.
Old April 3, 2009, 01:29 PM   #11
flibuste

I had various 1858 with this problem ; theorically , it can be fixed very easily by screwing or unscrewing the barrel a little bit ;

BUT and there is a serious BUT, some barrel are very tightly screwed within the frame and necessitate very professional tool not to wreck everything when trying to unscrew them. I know, I wrecked one .....
In case of brass frame it is very easy to unscrew the barrel but with steel frame you never know which amount of torque will be necessary .

I would suggest that you adjust the front sight with some shooting ; if the front sight has to be pushed too much outside the barrel, then send it back ;

Regards
Old April 3, 2009, 01:35 PM   #12
pohill

I usually buy used guns but a few of the new ones I bought had problems. When that happened, I contacted the importer (Taylors for Uberti, Traditions for Pietta), bypasing the place where I bought the guns, and Taylors and Traditions each offered to fix/replace the guns at no charge. They even sent me new parts, no charge. They keep track of the serial numbers since they warranty the guns for a year.
I would not pay to have a new gun fixed, especially if it's under waranty.
If I could fix it myself, I would, but once you work on a gun you might void the warranty.
Old April 3, 2009, 01:42 PM   #13
whosyrdaddy

Send it back. And while your at it, write a nice little note for the new owner and stick it inside the owners manual. When the people you bought it from send it out to the next unsuspecting customer he might appreciate the heads up. You could even write the url of this thread on it so he can let us know when he gets it.
Old April 3, 2009, 01:44 PM   #14
grymster2007

Quote:
Why does he need a shim? Backing it up that little bit isn't going to make it loose.
Maybe he doesn't. That would depend on how it's currently torqued and how far he has to go. The shim simply ensures the proper rotation and same torque.... whether the current torquing is right or wrong.
Old April 3, 2009, 01:56 PM   #15
Hawg

Barrels have a really fine thread, somewhere around 20 threads per inch depending on manufacturer. It will still be tight and still have plenty of torque to hold it there.
Old April 3, 2009, 01:58 PM   #16
grymster2007

20 TPI with three degrees rotation makes for less than a half thousandths inch. I'll defer.
Old April 3, 2009, 02:32 PM   #17
arcticap

I wouldn't keep it.
Would you have bought it if you could have inspected it beforehand?
Just pay for the return shipping if you must and be done with it.

Last edited by arcticap; April 3, 2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old April 3, 2009, 02:52 PM   #18
sundance44s

If I had bought it new .....I would send it back ...the ones I`ve had fixed were Gunbroker deals on wheels ......
Old April 3, 2009, 02:59 PM   #19
Doc Hoy

For what it is worth...which aint much

Fellas,

I like Hawg's post from 2:08 and MCB's from 2:29 with a nod to Flibuste at 2:29.

I built three Remingtons from kits in the late 70s. Two had brass frames and one had a steel frame. At that time I could have "made" this problem occur in any of those kits by simply turning the barrel in slightly more than was needed for a nice line-up. In fact I probably did it on each of those pistols and then had to back off on the barrel to get it lined up right. In each case the barrel was loose enough to turn but tight enough to stay where I put it. Also in each case, there was no perceptible gap between the shoulder of the barrel and the nose of the frame when I lined it up right.

I clamped the barrel in a wood vice and turned the frame holding onto only the solid front so as not to distort the frame. I checked the alignment by setting a straight edge on the frame and checking the alignment of the sight.

Please understand, I have only gotten back into BP pistols recently and much may have changed. There are plenty of smart people involved in this conversation already. I would welcome a post from one of them to either endorse or condemn my solution. But I have seen this before in the manner in which I described.
Old April 3, 2009, 03:15 PM   #20
ClemBert

It is disappointing to see this issue right out of the box. I would have gladly paid an extra $10 had Uberti required to hire someone who's job was to inspect and fix each firearm that had this problem as it went down the assembly line. While you are screwing on the barrel why not just adjust/fix the problem while sitting in the jig. How much more money does this add to the cost to spend 5 more minutes on the firearm. Please don't tell me that these firearms are so inexpensive that this particular issue should be given the pass. Just charge me $10 more and send out a better product. Sheesh!
Old April 3, 2009, 03:26 PM   #21
sundance44s

Well it isn`t just a Italian quality problem .....
A friend of mine bought a USFA John Wayne Peacemaker through a local gun shop .....purdy pistol came in a nice box too ...more a collectors piece ...
But he didn`t buy it to collect it he bought it because he liked the looks of it and wanted to shoot the purdy thing .
After a trip to the range he found out ...same problem misalignment of the barrel to frame and it would shoot 3 inches left at 10 yards .
He took it back to the gunshop and complained and wanted it fixed or replaced .They told him ....I can`t beleive you shot this pistol ...its made for lookin at not for shooting ........He told them for what he paid for it ...he expected it to shoot and shoot very well ...So they sent it back to USFA for repair ....when it came back ..you can beleive that pistol shoots where it is aimed . We are talking 2 thousand dollar pistol here .
Old April 8, 2009, 09:53 PM   #22
Blankwaffe

Ive gota brand new Uberti 58 Rem I just got from Midway that has the same issue.I contacted Uberti and they said to send it in for warranty repair.The Gunsmith there is a very nice fella and extremely helpful by the way.That being said there was a 4-6 six week minimum turn around.
Now I just waited on a warranty return from Traditions for about that same amount of time,and the repair they did was very poorly done....had to replace the bolt and cylinder to correct the poor repair.
So my advice is to return the revolver to the dealer for exchange or refund if your not happy with the product right out of the box..
Personally I just took the revolver to my local gunsmith and he retorqued the barrel on the Uberti 58 Rem for $20.00...which corrected the issue just as Hawg said above.
Old April 24, 2009, 09:27 AM   #23
ClemBert

I thought I'd give an update on what transpired after my original post about my Uberti made 1858 Remmie with standard blue finish. I decided I didn't want to fool around with going through the "repair process" on a firearm that was NIB because I paid for a perfect firearm not one that needed repairs.

I contacted the retailer and they were very nice and very agreeable to swapping it for another one. Unfortunately, they didn't have a standard blue finished one in stock. They contacted the importer and found out that there weren't any available in their stock either and had no idea when a new shipment would come in from Italy. They could tell I was disappointed and without hesitation offered to call the importer back, on my behalf, and ask them to send me a charcoal blue color case hardened model if that was acceptable to me. Well I didn't want to pay an additional $56 for the upgraded finish of the CB-CCH version and they figured that which is why they said it would be considered an even exchange without any additional cost to me. So, of course, how could I resist an offer like that. The importer had UPS pick up the defective firearm and sent me my shinny new replacement.

Below are some pics of the replacement. The pictures aren't great and don't do justice to how nice this firearm looks in person. BTW, the retailer and the importer deserve kudos for making me a happy customer. I raise my frosty mug; This Bud is for Buffalo Arms and Cimarron.

Last edited by ClemBert; April 24, 2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old April 24, 2009, 09:49 AM   #24
Indian Outlaw

Love it.
Old April 24, 2009, 09:58 AM   #25
Dingoboyx

I certainly wouldn't be complaining either

That one looks absolutely stunning Luv the finish... the whole look of it is perfect.

The pics do, do it justice in my eyes, you dun really well

I love it when the good guy wins