The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 10, 2009, 07:21 AM   #1
stubbicatt

CZ 550 impressions/ Range Report

A couple of weeks ago I received my CZ550 Varmint rifle in 308 caliber from Whittakers Guns in Kentucky.

I've shot maybe 70 rounds through it, at varying distances, including 400 yards.

Initially, I thought the trigger to be a bit gritty. But in 70 live fire rounds and maybe 150 dry fire snaps, the trigger has really improved a lot. The set trigger has also improved. Bolt actuation was a bit stiff initially, but a little grease and dry fire practice has smoothed it out quite a bit. CZ recently changed over from a radiused trigger shoe to this more straight shoe. It is a trade off, I suppose. It is easier to get a grip and angle that works for you with the straighter shoe, but setting the set trigger is not as easy as it is with the radiused shoe due to clearances between the trigger guard and trigger shoe.

Set trigger.

Ergonomics are a really personal thing. What works for me might not work for you due to subtle and gross differences in body proportions. Most rifles of this sort, chambered in 308, have an action tailored to fit that cartridge. The bolts are also shorter than the CZ's bolt. This makes it easy to actuate the bolt without having to move one's head from the stock, as the bolt throw stops well short of the nose. The CZ rifle has a standard length action, and a longer bolt throw than most "short action" rifles. In my case, the bolt stops just short of the nose, and returns easily to battery.

Action image:

The angle, and length of the bolt handle is something that I really like on this rifle. Years ago, when I shot competitively, I shot a Remington 40X. The bolt handle on that rifle just wasn't long enough, or angled in such a way, to make bolt actuation a simple exercise. The CZ bolt is nice and long, affording decent leverage, and the shape and angles of the bolt make it easy to use. The knob is maybe a little on the small side, and I may replace it at some point in the near future. -Again, this is an ergonomic concern. What works for me might not be best for someone else, but the overall execution of the bolt is exceptional, it has adequate length and a proper angle for easy of manipulation.

The controlled round feeding is something I have not experienced on a rifle before, other than in passing. As most know, CRF grabs the case head as the cartridge feeds out of the magazine, and holds it snug to the bolt face. Most instruction suggests that as you feed a round in a bolt actioned rifle from prone, you lock the bolt, open it, retract it slightly, and do a "press check" to assure that the round fed and all is right, and then return to battery. (Nothing like a "click" when there should have been a "bang" to ruin your day in some situations! Something the press check is designed to prevent.) The CRF sort of short strokes this important step, in that one can press the bolt forward, and retract it for the press check without first having to close it to get the case rim under the extractor. --Nice.

The ejector is a blade of metal in the receiver, not a spring loaded button in the bolt face. Ejection force is an action regulated by the speed by which one actuates the bolt. One can retract the bolt just short of the ejector, and reach into the action and lever the empty out with his fingertips, or bring the bolt back to the bolt stop with a varying degree of enthusiasm for positive ejection. Another nice feature. It just makes the rifle more versatile.

The rifle is available with different stock construction, synthetic, laminated, or classic walnut. I chose the walnut, as I prefer a narrower wrist and just like walnut. The stock execution on this example is nearly perfect. First, the less than perfect: the barrel channel doesn't appear to be symmetrical, it is a little closer to the barrel on the starboard side than on the port side. It is fully functional, in that it passes the dollar bill test without any restriction along its entire length. The perfect: The checkering on this stock is absolutely perfect, with no bleed over or mistakes at all. It appears to be cut checkering, as pressed in checkering would not have had the excellent double line boundaries that this one has. The buttpad is magnificent.

Checkering image:

--About the buttpad. The contours of the buttpad fit flush all the way around its periphery vis the stock. The contour of the buttpad where it engages the shoulder is ingenious. Most buttpads I have shot were pretty much flat, or having a gentle scallop shape to them. This one is unique in my experience as the heel of the buttpad has a subtle, raised, rounded, portion to it which conforms perfectly to the shoulder pocket where one would put the butt when firing from prone. I tried to capture this in these photos. It has a gentle radius down to the point of the toe where it would engage the pocket when firing offhand, or perhaps from kneeling. In short, the stock shows a great degree of thought in its execution. --Nice.

Buttpad images:

The sling swivels had to be opened a bit to accept a Blackhawk QD swivel. Not a big deal, but it was unexpected. Also, unlike the button type swivel mounts common on American rifles, these are machined differently. They are not bad, just different.

Scope mounting is an exercise in great ease. For those with experience mounting optics on short actions, where I always experience a certain anxiety that the close spacing of rings will interfere with the scope turret, and limit scope placement options, the CZ's longer action makes scope placement a cinch. I was able to arrive at perfect scope placement in moments. The top of the receiver is dovetailed to accept rings, and the Warne rings I chose mounted up perfectly, with great ease. --A detriment to those who prefer larger tube scopes, or Weaver or Pic rails, the choices for the CZ are rather limited, AFAIK. For standard diameter scopes, such as 1" or 30mm tubes, the rings are a quick setup.

Accuracy is about what one would expect from a rifle such as this. I was able to keep 10 shots in 4 - 5" at 400 yards from prone, on a calm day, using Hornady 150 grain FMJ bullets. --Not target ammunition by any stretch, but this performance is quite acceptable. I am in process of load development with the excellent Sierra 175 Match King and Lapua's 155 Scenar. I suspect accuracy will improve greatly.

The barrels on these rifles are cold hammer forged barrels. According to CZ, this renders a very hard steel barrel, which is supposed to be resistant to wear. They tell me to expect 10,000 round useful life. They hand lap the barrels at the factory, and do not suggest any particular break in procedure. So I didn't follow any break in procedure. I was surprised after the shooting sessions to see that there was no apparent metal fouling in the barrel, and it cleaned right up quite easily.

(The Possum Hollow bore guide made for the Remington 700 action fits perfectly in this rifle, even though neither Midway USA nor Possum Hollow lists a bore guide for this action.)

In short I am quite satisfied with this rifle. It is well thought out, well engineered, and constructed quite well. It is accurate, it fits me well, and I would recommend it to other TFL members.
Old May 10, 2009, 07:27 AM   #2
fisherman66

Great Range Report. I've been eyeballin' the 550 FS in 6.5x55 for a while. I can't say I like the hog's back buttstock, but the FS doesn't come in a American styled buttstock so it's something I'd just have to deal with.

How do you like the bottom metal and finish on the metal overall?
Old May 10, 2009, 01:34 PM   #3
stubbicatt

The metal finish is very nice overall. The plating on the trigger shoe was a little rough, but 0000 steel wool took care of that.

If you look very closely, you can see either machine marks or hammer marks in the barrel steel. The action and floorplate metal is all well polished and de-horned all around. It is a very sophisticated finish, showing signs of great engineering, and care in assembly.

The hogback stock some complain of. I have it on my 527 LUX, and it is scoped. I have never had an issue with the design. I guess in the harder kicking calibers it is supposed to be somewhat uncomfortable, but I have experienced no discomfort with the 527, it has proven to be my favorite varmint/coyote rifle rig, as it is light and easy to field, and works good for me regardless of the firing position.

YMMV
Old May 10, 2009, 05:29 PM   #4
fisherman66

I'm just accustomed to the American rifle looks. Nothing against the European look, I just prefer a straight comb, high heal and teardrop or oval cheekpiece. I'd also like a metal gripcap. Odd I know; especially since I like the full stock. I guess I've looked at enough Ruger RSIs to find that pleases my eye the most.

Is the bottom metal flush with the forearm? If it wouldn't trouble you too much I'd like to see how the metal sits. I'm not really a fan of detachable magazines and prefer a hinged floorplate. I wonder if there's a way to refit it?

I've also looked at the .22lr FS. Not sure it that one comes with a set trigger or not. I don't like how the magazine sticks out. I'd gladly sacrifice capacity for a flush mag.
Old May 10, 2009, 06:32 PM   #5
223 shooter

Very nicely written review! CZ seems to have their act together quite well. I have only owned their rimfires but may own one in centerfire someday as well.
Old May 10, 2009, 09:47 PM   #6
foggy

Great review, I was interested in hearing how these perform.
Old May 11, 2009, 07:54 AM   #7
stubbicatt

Fisherman66: I snapped a bunch of photos, but my camera wasn't capturing the details I really wanted. The bottom metal is a one piece affair, comprising a rear tang, the trigger guard area, the magazine "well" (opening, really, as there is no raised metal here), and the front tang.

Full view:

At no point along the wood to metal fit is the metal proud of the stock. At both front and rear tangs, however, the metal is slightly beneath the level of the wood. The depression/difference between wood and metal is at its worse place, starboard side, front tang, .035" as measured with my dial calipers.

Front Tang:

At one point at the rear of the "magazine well," one can see where some hand inletting was accomplished with a chisel, and not very artfully either.

Hand work:

The depression at the rear tang as measured with my calipers is .015".

Rear tang:

The wood to metal fit is very consistent around the stock bottom metal, with the two exceptions mentioned. I would say it is quite well done for a mass produced piece, and one can see that attention to proper inletting is given at the factory, just not as carefully executed as one might desire... re: the hand chiseling area.

-- The chiseled spot is not noticeable until you get really close. The camera was on 4x if I remember correctly, when I snapped that shot.

edit: nearly forgot. The action length on this rifle is the same as that used for the standard length cartridges, such as 270, 30-06, 6.5 Swede, etc. On the standard length cartridges one gets a 5 round internal box magazine with the hinged floorplate. With the shorter cartridges, 22-250, 308, 243, etc., one gets the detatchable box magazines. I understand your reluctance re: DBM, and I wanted the hinged floorplate also. I just think they look neater.

I do not know whether the internal box magazine can be retrofitted or not.

However, when I had a chance to actually examine the DBM's available for these rifles, it was a no brainer. These are beautiful pieces of worksmanship. As I bought this rifle for use in "sniper" competition, the availability of high capacity magazines was a consideration. The CZ550 will use the CZ750 sniper rifle 10 round DBM's just fine, and I bought two of them. The forum only allows the posting of 6 photos, but here is one of the DBMs.

10 round mag:

The rubber around the magazine makes for a great tactile reference for grasping and proper insertion in the magazine well. The fit and finish of these magazines must be seen/felt to be appreciated.

Second edit: The 22 LR 452FS.

When I bought this rifle, I also bought the FS 22 lr. I haven't taken any photos of it, and this posting wouldn't allow anymore anyways.

The 22 long rifle FS model does not have the set trigger feature on it. Nor is it retrofittable, as I learned AFTER purchasing one of the triggers! LOL. There are kits available to change the trigger pull by changing out springs etc., and I did purchase one of them.

That said, I find that the stock trigger is just fine. The rifle is an absolute jewel to shoot, but somewhat vexing to put a scope on. Someone on this board suggested removing the rear sight blade, which I did. After that, the chosen scope went right on without a problem. Some folks like the longer barrels, but I think it is a waste on a 22 long rifle, as velocities of the cartridge do not warrant the extra length barrel,and the short, light, carbine length rifle just points and shifts well.

The 452 came with a plastic nose cap. This is really chintzy looking on this rifle, given its overall quality. Naturally, I ordered up a replacement metal nose cap (barrel band they call it at CZ-USA). It was pretty expensive, at about 10% the price I paid for the rifle, but since I do not envision ever parting with this rifle, it was worth it to me. So the targeted price for sale of the rifle does not include the metal nosecap, which pushes it up into a higher price bracket than you might be anticipating... Just an FYI that I wish I had known about going into the deal. --I'd still do the deal, I just wish I had known. Also the rifle ships with a plastic magazine. It is very well made with no flashing or other issues, and looks clean in the rifle.

HTH.

Last edited by stubbicatt; May 11, 2009 at 08:31 AM. Reason: forgot the floorplate issue./ second edit: 22 lr
Old May 11, 2009, 06:31 PM   #8
fisherman66

Quote:
The 22 long rifle FS model does not have the set trigger feature on it. Nor is it retrofittable, as I learned AFTER purchasing one of the triggers! LOL. There are kits available to change the trigger pull by changing out springs etc., and I did purchase one of them.
That's too bad. A beautiful full stock deserves a set trigger.

Wonderful write up. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and take the extra photos. Now the question...should I put my gun fund cash in the stock market and hope for a double (I've done significantly better than that in the past 3 months) or better or just buy the rifle?
Old May 12, 2009, 12:31 AM   #9
stubbicatt

Investment advice?

For investment advice you would do well to consult someone who has done well in the market! Or maybe Merrill Lynch!

Sorry. Can't help here!