The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 26, 2009, 07:33 PM   #1
BoneDigger

Marlin 336, having some serious issues. Need help!

I bought a used Marlin 336 in 30-30. Today I took it to the range and tried to get the new scope zeroed. I was using Leverevolution ammo. I couldn't keep the shots in a 6 inch circle at 50 yards. I'd get close, then the next shot would be 5 inches off. I started cursing the new scope, then I noticed something. It seemed that the bullets were making a strange entrance hole in the target, almost elongated. Then upon closer inspection it looked like the bullets were literally entering the target on their side!!! It was almost a perfect silhouette of the bullet. What would make a bullet tumble like that?

The bore looks good on the gun and I can't see an issue on the crown, but maybe I'm missing something? Oh, and yes, I verified that it does say 30-30 both on the ammo and on the barrel.

HELP!!!

Todd
Old September 26, 2009, 07:39 PM   #2
.300 Weatherby Mag

Did you only shoot the leverevolution ammo through the gun??
Old September 26, 2009, 08:24 PM   #3
GLK

Send it to Marlin they will tell you(or to a good Marlin smith).
Old September 26, 2009, 09:23 PM   #4
BoneDigger

Yes

Only shot Leverevolution through it, but although I realize that different loads shoot differently, I would think ANY load would shoot without tumbling???

Todd
Old September 26, 2009, 09:44 PM   #5
DanB

At what range were you shooting?

LE ammo has run perfect in every levergun I have ran it through.

About to pop the cherry on a 1895G this week. LE ammo is one that will be fed through it.

Before you call Marlin or a gunsmith. Go back out to the range with at least 2 different ammo brands and see what they do. Isolate the ammo to the ammo or gun then proceed.
Old September 26, 2009, 10:45 PM   #6
BoneDigger

I was shooting at 25 then 50 yards. I wonder if the LeverEvolution ammo maybe isn't so good for the older (1960s) model Marlin?

Todd
Old September 26, 2009, 11:01 PM   #7
cyclopsshooter

1998 production rifle with a crappy 3-9 simmons

Old September 26, 2009, 11:15 PM   #8
Sarge

Give that barrel a good scrubbing and try again. A gun that old may have been shot with something that fouled the bore badly.
Old September 26, 2009, 11:32 PM   #9
V.Hunter

How old is the rifle. Not all rifles have the same type of rifling or twist rate to properly stabilize the new ammunition.
Old September 27, 2009, 12:01 AM   #10
Swampghost

Dang! I have one that will shoot next to cyclops. I can't imagine yawing that much in 25-50 yds.

If you're certain that this is the problem, send it back.
Old September 27, 2009, 12:47 AM   #11
CraigC

How does the bore look?
Old September 27, 2009, 09:18 AM   #12
BoneDigger

I'll check it out again this afternoon and give it a good bore scrubbing with solvent. The gun, I believe, is a 1960s model. If I remember it was something like 1968 or so.

I am going to try shooting with some Remington Core Lokt and see what happens and I'll report back. To say that this concerns me would be an understatement. I hope I didn't just blow $250 on a crappy gun...

Todd
Old September 27, 2009, 06:52 PM   #13
3StrikesNC

Get some Barnes CR-10 Bore Cleaner and keep passing cleaning patches through it until clean. I just did this to a Mauser, it took me four hours to get it clean.
Barnes is excellent copper cleaner.
Old September 27, 2009, 07:26 PM   #14
Couzin

Two guesses - the bore is shot out or it (the 336) does not like the lever-evolution stuff. Try a different ammo. If it is still keyholing and wandering (assuming the scope is not loose/loose reticle) - then it is probably shot out. A shot out barrel will occasionally be a little dark or bluish looking.

Told you should have bought my old 30-30 marlin
Old September 27, 2009, 09:10 PM   #15
zebulonsmith

That old, it's probably got the micro-groove rifling. I have one from around that era (1964) that will shoot sub moa with a good soft point, but haven't tried the new Hornady stuff. I'd love to, but I hate buying factory ammunition at today's prices and they don't sell just the bullets.
Old September 27, 2009, 09:48 PM   #16
j.chappell

Try some plain old Federal Power Shok and let us know what happens. I think you will find that your rifle does not like the new ammunition.

J.
Old September 27, 2009, 10:17 PM   #17
BoneDigger

30-30

OK, I cleaned the bore really well and checked it over with a bore light. The micro-groove rifling seems to be in good shape, but perhaps I don't have an eye for it. I also checked the bore and it looks good to my untrained eye. I bought some Remington 170 grain today and I'm going to hopefully get a chance to try it next weekend.

Cuzin, yep, I guess you're right!

Todd
Old September 28, 2009, 12:59 AM   #18
BlackFeather

hmmm.... I wonder whether its the grooving or a burr... I wonder whether its the velocity of the bullet in an older rifle causing the bullet to wobble from maybe disformation... if its at all possible, one of those ideas I get when I think to hard...

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old September 28, 2009, 10:29 AM   #19
Oilburner350

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...sku=0000330395

You can load your own.

As for the key hole, I think the rate of twist is the same as the ballard rifle guns. I would check the muzzle or slug the barrel. It may be on the loose side. I know cast bullets don't like it when the microgrooving gets fowled.
Old September 28, 2009, 01:54 PM   #20
CraigC

Quote:
That old, it's probably got the micro-groove rifling.
You fellers need to get with the program. All the .30-30's have had Microgroove rifling since the concept was born, up to present. Only the big bores and pistol cartridge guns have switched to Ballard-style rifling for more consistent performance with cast bullets.
Old September 28, 2009, 02:02 PM   #21
zebulonsmith

Quote:
You fellers need to get with the program. All the .30-30's have had Microgroove rifling since the concept was born, up to present. Only the big bores and pistol cartridge guns have switched to Ballard-style rifling for more consistent performance with cast bullets.
After some research, looks like you're right. On the other hand, the XLR series, which is designed to take advantage of the new Hornady bullets, comes with 24" of ballard rifling while the standard 336 has a 20" barrel with micro-groove rifling. That's quite a difference and might be where the keyholeing is coming from.

http://marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xlr/336.asp
Old September 28, 2009, 03:09 PM   #22
PetahW

I used LeverEvolution ammo in my ca. 1965 Marlin .35 SC, w/o any issues, before I let one of my pals talk me into selling it to him.

The LE's DID impact 3"-4" higher on target with the same sight setting (peep) as for the Remmy factory ammo I've been using in it for years.

Old September 28, 2009, 03:25 PM   #23
Butterbean

I have a early 60s Marlin 336 .35 rem and I shoot Leverevoltions with it and have had no problems at 100 yds. All mine are perfect circles. It does tend to shot a little low and left, but it did when I Grandfather owned it also
Old September 28, 2009, 04:56 PM   #24
mapsjanhere

Keyholing at 50 yards would indicate either a complete lack of stabilization or a serious off-axis knock on leaving the barrel. Since you said your muzzle looks good the latter is unlikely. My guess is severe leading of the microgrooves, and the jacketed rounds are just skipping over the grooves. If the previous owner used hot loads behind cast bullets, you might have a nice smooth bore.
I hope the cleaning did the trick, good luck this weekend.