The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 19, 2009, 04:27 AM   #1
Josh Smith

Attended Appleseed

Hello,

Appleseed is a nationwide rifle clinic/competition/history lesson. It's a bit more than that, but it's not a militia or anything of that nature.

On my second try, I scored Rifleman.

Got my patch.

I was using a 10/22 for this.

Drill was top target standing, 10 rounds, in something like two minutes.

Next two standing to sitting, two rounds, reload (standard or tactical), eight more, 55 seconds (this was probably the hardest).

Row three got three, three, four, standing to prone. Don't remember the time limit. Fire two, reload, fire eight. Tactical reload optional.

Last row was a straight 10 rounds, two, two, three, three, in five minutes, starting from prone.

Shot much better scores with the 'scoped Savage, even with the bipod folded and hanging on the end (no bipods allowed), but that wasn't even fair as my 'scope only goes down to 6.5x.

I had an M1A shooter on my left, so I broke out the SKS, only to have failures to fire. During prep I field stripped it and found the hammer spring, which I replaced, had become weak - cheap spring. I have a new one on order from Wolff.

But even with a 50% FTFire rate, I was still keeping up with the 'scoped M1A at the short distance, using Tech-Sights. Then we shot a team target, and came out pretty good, even with my rifle merrily malfunctioning.

I only experienced two malfunctions from the Ruger - a FTFire (due to ammo) which I was able to eject, finish the mag, and reload the FTFired round and finish within time. The other was a stovepipe malf which I cleared and finished the drill. A couple drops of Otis lube (thanks, Del!) got it running right again - it had about 300 rounds through it at this point.

Only failed to finish one target with the 'scoped Savage, that being due to the bolt action and the 55 second time limit with reload. Dunno how those Brits did that mad minute! The "cease fire" command came right as I was squeezing, and I had about 2.5lbs of pressure on the 2.75lb trigger. I probably could have gotten away with it, but I could stop, so I did.

Really wanted to "play" with the only other .30 caliber there, the aforementioned Scout M1A, and am disappointed my hammer spring was weak. I have no doubt I could have scored Rifleman with the SKS as well, as I have it built.

Overall, it was a very fun two day experience. We burned up well over 500 rounds of ammunition. Very, very positive experience!

Josh <><
Old October 19, 2009, 06:58 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

Awesome job... been to one so far... I didn't qualify myself yet... it was windy, & I couldn't believe how poorly my 10-22 was shooting... later found out, after the course, that my barrel clamp had loosened so the barrel was wobbling

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; October 19, 2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old October 19, 2009, 08:34 AM   #3
Mick3411

I went to one this summer and had a ball. I didnt qualify - It had to be the rifle
But I learned a lot and it was great fun. I'll be much better prepared the next time around.
Old October 19, 2009, 10:06 AM   #4
armoredman

Time and money, and I'll get to one.
Old October 19, 2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Vergeltung

I have been to two of these. they are really great experiences. the comeraderie and instruction are top notch. highly recommended!!
Old October 27, 2009, 01:38 PM   #6
shooterer

Try it, It's a hoot!

Nice shoot'n Tex. I also scored a 217 to receive my badge last month.

I would recommend that every man woman and child go to a seed shoot at least once (I am planning to attend at least 2 next year)

I qualified with a RRA AR-15 with a Compass Lake .22lr upper and stock iron sights. My goal is to try and shoot a 210+ with each of my rifles (the 45-70 will be both hard to score and expensive to shoot 40 rounds)

Keep up the good work of spreading the news of Apppleseed shoots.

Jim
Old October 27, 2009, 02:01 PM   #7
azredhawk44

Quote:
I would recommend that every man woman and child go to a seed shoot at least once (I am planning to attend at least 2 next year)
Once? Once!?!?

Hogwash.

A couple a year, plus at least a monthly "can I still hit that?" check at the range. That'll keep the redcoats at bay.

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms has been recognized by the General Government; but the best security of that right after all is, the military spirit, that taste for martial exercises, which has always distinguished the free citizens of these States...Such men form the best barrier to the liberties of America." -gazette of the United States, October 14, 1789.

See you at the range!