The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 10, 2009, 02:02 PM   #1
Steelers Fan

Opinions on a quality Powder Dispenser

I have been loading 45acp and 9mm on a Lee classic turret press with very good success (thank you for your input on the press; it has been a great purchase and made confidently due to your feedback!). I bought the kit which included the Lee scale and Pro Auto-Disc Powder Measure which will be upgrading soon for rifle.

My question is which powder measure to buy for reloading for rifle. This will be a hunting round in 30/06 and 45/70. I have read the reviews on the RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure, Lee Perfect Powder Measure, Lyman #55 and Redding 3BR. All have had both positive and negative reviews, with seemingly no clear cut leader. Which dispenser in your opinion offers the best consistency, quality and most of all accuracy in dispensing powder?

Again, you feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Old December 10, 2009, 02:21 PM   #2
swmike

I have several powder measures and find that each has it's own advantages or disadvantages. My LEE Autodisk measure is good for extruded powder as it does not tend to cut the grains as my RCBS measure tends to do. I use a Dillon measure on my XL650 but only use ball/spherical powders as they tend to drop very uniform charges.

When I am loading pistol or .223 for my AR, I don't worry too much about the very slight variations of weight. Most loading sessions vary .1 grain or less with the Dillon measure. For my bolt action rifles, where I only accept perfect powder weights I use my LEE Auto Disk and then trickle powder, granule by granule, until I have exact weights.

Recently I purchased an RCBS Chargemaster 1500 which consists of an electric powder measure (kind of like a trickler on steroids) combined with an electronic scale. This unit is capable of dispensing powder to +/- .05 grains which sure is close enough for me. Not a speed demon by any measure but if I place the pan on the scale, it begins to dispense powder. I transfer powder to the case and replace the pan on the scale. While the unit is now dispensing the next load I then seat a bullet, check OAL, and place completed cartridge in the block. By then the next powder load is waiting for me. To assure accuracy, I turn on the unit at least 30 minutes before my loading session to make sure the scale is stable. I then calibrate, using RCBS's procedure. As a final check I use calibration weights totaling as close to my desired powder weight as possible. I only begin when the scale indicates the exact amount as called for by the check weights and repeats at least 3 times.

Perhaps this is more than you are interested in so for a good start, and to answer your original question, I highly recommend the LEE auto disc powder measure as long as you couple it's use with a trickler and a good scale.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old December 10, 2009, 09:11 PM   #3
GeauxTide

Used a Uniflow for 40 years and got a Lyman DPS3 two years ago. All I can say is, WOW.
Old December 10, 2009, 09:15 PM   #4
Creeper

Click here... then scroll down to the Lynwood Harrell measures.

C
Old December 10, 2009, 09:29 PM   #5
CrustyFN

As far as mounting the powder measure to the press I think the RCBS Uniflow or Dillon work best from what I have read. Most others are too heavy for the turret. With the Uniflow you will need to use the RCBS or Hornady CAPD, with the Dillon you will need their powder die. Both measures will be accurate.
Old December 10, 2009, 09:38 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Don't buy plastic.

That's the most basic thing you need to know.

All the rest is personal preference.
Old December 10, 2009, 10:07 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

The answer depends on the kind of powder you want to dispense. The drum measures do best with ball powders, as do the expensive BR measures. Stick powders do better in the Lee Autodisk and the Lee Perfect measure, but if you want the best powder measure for stick powder, IMHO, it is the less well-known JDS Quick Measure. It is designed to be completely unable to cut grains. It is guaranteed to throw stick within 0.2 grains, but I find mine often is within 0.1 grains. It has an adapter for progressive presses. The setup with its valve system takes a little getting used to and requires different valves for different charge weight ranges, but is worth it for the consistency. The only fault I find with it is the adapter for small pistol powder charges can jam part of the time with fine grain powders, like Power Pistol. But for stick powder charges for rifle or larger volume pistol cases, it is very impressive.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 10, 2009, 10:12 PM   #8
darkgael

Harrell

Quote:
Lynwood Harrell measures
Yes. Harrell measures are the berries.
Pete
Old December 11, 2009, 07:56 PM   #9
Transbrake

I bought a lyman 1200 dps3 and hate it! Very sporatic with the stick powder! and when it gets close, it recalibrates on its own and ends up way off. They claim thats its the fastest powder measurer on the market and that my be, but when you have to constantly dump your charge back in to the hopper, you won't save any time.
Old December 11, 2009, 08:15 PM   #10
zxcvbob

I have 4 or 5 powder measures (don't ask.) My favorite is a C&H:
http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/?p=70
Old December 11, 2009, 09:17 PM   #11
NWPilgrim

Depends on the powder. I really like the Pro Auto Disk so I use that for all handgun and up to .223 or a bit more (I have the disk double kit).

For rifle beyond the Auto Disk doubler, I use the Perfect measure for extruded/stick powders like IMR4064, and even Varget. It leaks powder on every throw, just a few grains, but it is silky smooth and I figiure worth the slight mess. For ball rifle powders I use my RCBS Uniflow measure with a micrometer adjusting stem. Good measure but really hangs up with 4064, though Varget is not too bad.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old December 11, 2009, 11:04 PM   #12
LHB1

Quote: "My question is which powder measure to buy for reloading for rifle.
This will be a hunting round in 30/06 and 45/70. ...Which dispenser in your opinion offers the best consistency, quality and most of all accuracy in dispensing powder?"

For rifle loads/powders, I use the Neil Jones Micro Measure. It is the best, most accurate measure I have ever found for large, tubular powders and throws charges of 4831 like it were a ball powder. http://www.neiljones.com/html/measure.html
Old December 12, 2009, 07:30 AM   #13
steve4102

Quote:
I bought a lyman 1200 dps3 and hate it! Very sporatic with the stick powder! and when it gets close, it recalibrates on its own and ends up way off. They claim thats its the fastest powder measurer on the market and that my be, but when you have to constantly dump your charge back in to the hopper, you won't save any time.
Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Lyman. I've had mine for several years and it works Great. If you are having problems, there must be something wrong, either with the unit(send it back) or your set-up. These units are extremely sensitive and can have issues when subjected to unwanted outside forces. Things like cell phones, wireless Internet, loud head bangin music, fluorescent lights and drafts from open windows/doors and air conditioners can cause them to go haywire. It is also recommended by Lyman(and RCBS for that matter) to place the unit on a solid stable surface. Meaning keep it off the same bench your press is mounted to. The banging of the press will surely knock these units out of whack. I have mine mounted on a seperate bench just to the right of my press and it works great.

Back to the OP. If you can afford it, take a long hard look at the Harrell measures. I have one and it is simply amazing.
http://www.harrellsprec.com/
Old December 12, 2009, 08:46 AM   #14
c.j.sikes

powder measure

i agree with steve i have a lyman 1200 and it did give me trouble at first but i sent it back and the problem was corrected, no charge, when all else fails, read the instructions.. it works great on all kinds of powder. i also have dillon, lyman , and others. each has its own job. thanks cjs
Old December 12, 2009, 10:01 AM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

This has come up before. The plastic load cells in most scales now are either more sensitive to damage in transport than the makers are packaging them against, or the OEM suppliers of them are not doing adequate QC? It is not at all uncommon to have to return these scales to get one the technicians have looked at to be sure it is stable enough. I would return the 1200 if it is failing as badly as described. It's cynical of me, but I think the manufacturers' bottom line on those depends partly on a lot of folks not realizing when they don't work well.

Send off to Enco to get one of their cheapie 9"x12" grade B granite surface plates for $15. It makes a good solid surface for the dispenser that doesn't change temperature rapidly. You can set it on a same-size piece of carpet remnant to add some vibration isolation.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; December 12, 2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old December 12, 2009, 11:39 AM   #16
Crosshair

I use a Pro Auto Disk with a double disk kit for all my loading. Very consistent.
Old December 12, 2009, 04:31 PM   #17
Transbrake

Thanks steve for your advice. I will try to move it to a different surface before sending it back. I know its not due to temp or drafts because it's set up in a floor heated garage with no fans or ducts. No loud music, but if cable or internet would screw with it i suppose that could possibly be the culprit?
Old December 13, 2009, 04:38 PM   #18
Steelers Fan

Thanks again for everyone’s feedback, the electric powder dispenser and scale setup like the RCBS 1500 and Lyman DPS3 may be a bit out of my price range but an absolute perfect choice (if money was not object).

There were a few suggestions that I have never heard about such as the JDS, C&H and Harrell. But now that I am looking they do get great reviews.

For those that used the RCBS, is the micrometer adjustment a big upgrade to the unit. This unit is a bit more my price point….

Thanks again
Old December 13, 2009, 08:47 PM   #19
NWPilgrim

This is what I have (except I have the older version). It is now $35, but it was about $25 when I got one. I got it shortly after my RCBS Uniflow measure which was back in about 1987.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=654966

The marked indicator lines never meant anything to me so I don't really use them except to note how much I am turning it. I use it with a powder scale and just tune it to the proper weight. It is very stable and throws within 0.1 grains. I

The Uniflow does OK with most powders. It handles the extruded up to Varget size OK, but starts to hang up on IMR4064 size sticks. Of course this is intrinsic to the Unbiflow measure and has nothing to do with the micrometer stem.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old December 23, 2009, 06:07 PM   #20
Oldcoyote

Uniflow or 3-disk Pro Autodisk

Steeler:
If you want to charge ON the Classic Turret press with autoindexing:

DaveInGA successfully mounted a Uniflow with a case activated powder drop.

I tried 3 disks with the Pro Auto Disc and it worked. ES ran .4 to .7 but if that's OK it's a cheap thing to try.

Last edited by Oldcoyote; December 23, 2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old December 24, 2009, 07:43 PM   #21
Lost Sheep

You asked for opinions:

I use powder throwers/dispensers only on progressive presses where it makes no sense to throw powder manually into one round at a time. On my single stage press, I don't bother with a powder thrower at all.

I use Lee Scoops.

Pro:
They are unable to cut or break powder granules.
They are incapable of going out of adjustment.
They are as accurate (with consistent scooping technique) as any measure I have seen.
They cost less than $17 (used to less than $10)
You can make your own if you want.
Cleanup when switching powders is a LOT less complex than with any other measure.
When your powder reservoir runs dry, you KNOW IT. (no squibs, no uncharged cases)

Con:
They are only a little harder to adjust than other measures (make a false bottom to the scoop of spitballs made from of any white glue and sawdust is only one of many ways)
A little slower than a powder measure. And you have to refill your reservoir more often.
You do have to think about your reloading process a little more, but that's a good thing.

If you want to charge by weight rather than volume, you can scoop a little below your charge weight into your scale and use a powder trickler to come up to the desired charge. Very easy.

For the price of a couple of powder measures, I could get another gun.

Lost Sheep.
Old December 25, 2009, 12:46 PM   #22
wncchester

"The answer depends on the kind of powder you want to dispense. The drum measures do best with ball powders, as do the (overly) expensive BR measures. Stick powders do better in the Lee Autodisk and the Lee Perfect measure, but if you want the best powder measure for stick powder,...JDS..."

Ditto.

The JDS is good IF expensive and you load enough volume to make it worthwhile.

Plastic measures (PLASTIC ANYTHING!) seem to be a sticking point with many but not me, if it works, it works. The Lee Perfect is actually - perhaps, maybe? - the "best" available for coarse powders. It has the advantage of working fine with anything IF assembled and used correctly. But, seems a lot of people have leaks with ball powders. That IS some pretty fine stuff so it measures well with anything.

I have used about all of them, still prefer my now very old Redding Master, current verision is the BR3, with both rifle and pistol chambers. The Lyman #55 is a close second. Hornady's is a close copy of the Redding so it's good too. So is the RCBS, but it's pretty pricey and it gets a lot worse if you also buy the superior micrometer head that comes standard with the others.

Bottom line, you won't go wrong with any of them.

Last edited by wncchester; December 25, 2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old January 1, 2010, 07:37 PM   #23
toymakerclay

handloading & reloading

ZXCVbob your post is very informative about the CH4D powder measure, but where can I get the 502-P-1 Micrometer only for pistol. I can't get the rifle down low enough for pistol loads. Any help would be appreciated. My E-mail is: [email protected]
Old January 1, 2010, 09:22 PM   #24
zxcvbob

You order them direct from C&H:
http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/?p=70
I have 2 C&H powder measures; one is red and one is black. I bought the second one on eBay, thinking the parts would be interchangeable but they are not. The black one has the pistol micrometer (and would probably take a new rifle micrometer) and mounts to the press. The red one has a rifle micrometer and it mounts to a stand. It's not what I had in mind, but it works.

All this to say, call them before you order parts to make sure the parts will fit your measure.
Old January 1, 2010, 09:39 PM   #25
toymakerclay

Handloading and Reloading

Thanks Bob, I'll give them a call Monday.