The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 13, 2009, 05:52 PM   #1
crazyirishman

Taurus 738 TCP slide lock problem

Just bought a new TCP after going back and forth with the LCP and Keltec A 3/T in the mix. I have 20 rounds fired without fault, and in fact I love the gun except for one problem. The slide does not remain open after the final round is fired (I tried both mags that came with the gun) and when I tried to reassemble the gun after cleaning it, the manual slide grab does not engage unless the mag is in-place. After careful inspection I noticed that the machining of the slot on the slide that is grabbed by the slide latch is not perfectly machined; it appears a bit rounded in one of the upper corners of the notch on the slide and that is probably causing the slide not to stay open after the final round is fired as well as when trying to keep the slide open for cleaning or inspection (unless the mag is in place).

The gun is 24 hours out of the box and as much as I love the performance and feel, it is not working the way it should. I hate to send it back to Miami and be without it for weeks (apparently Taurus service takes 5-8 weeks) but what options do I have? Has anyone else encountered this problem? I would appreciate feedback from the few people that actually own this model as I understand they have been hard to find until very recently...thanks!
Old December 13, 2009, 06:29 PM   #2
spodwo

Quote:
(apparently Taurus service takes 5-8 weeks)
Mine took 3 weeks....

My 709 was sent back for two reasons - slide lock not working [it started toward the end of about 50 rounds]. Taurus fixed by "adjusting slide lock".

If it doesn't work - send it back...no point not taking advantage of the service. Frustrating - admittedly but it let's Taurus know that it's not right. Plus it certainly costs them $$ to ship, fix and ship back...
Old December 13, 2009, 07:51 PM   #3
crazyirishman

3 weeks

Thanks for the reply. You said you had two problems; what was the second one? Are you now happy with the gun and what ammos have worked well for you?
Old December 13, 2009, 08:46 PM   #4
boykinhntr

Make Taurus fix it. This hadn't Bern a common problem with this gun from what I know. The machining on mine is flawless.

I have shot AMS, American Eagle, and Buffalo Bore with equal success. The Buffalo Bore is amazing stuff for any .380.

Read about it
www.buffalobore.com
Old December 13, 2009, 10:23 PM   #5
VictorLouis

I just took mine to wring out today. I fired 85rds of Aguila ball, and about 12rds of their JHP. I had THREE double feeds, with failure to extract the fired case altogether, and the next round trying to be chambered. I had several lock-opens, where I assume that even my LEFT hand was bumping the slide lock/release up when the recoil torqued it in my hand.

I was amazed at the accuracy of it, considering the sights are hellacious to see. I got several fist-sized grips of all six at 50', with the best five being downright decent. Thing is, it shoots awfully low for me, with a normal sight-picture. In straight point-fire, with just indexing the slide, it was spot-ON.

Now then, I had lubed it ONLY with moly grease, and not oil. So, the next time I can take it out, I will liberally bathe the darn thing and see if that kicks it into gear.

Several times, I extracted the chambered round just to see if there was any firing-pin imprint on the primer from the inertia of the chambering process. NONE, thank goodness, as this puppy doesn't have a firing-pin safety.

For a retail of just about one-HALF of the Kahr, I thought it worth a try. I hope it will break-in without too much more consternation.
Old December 13, 2009, 11:32 PM   #6
DasFriek

From my experience most failure to hold the slide back after the mag is empty is due to the magazine and the follower to be more specific.
It seems to me the smaller the gun the easier it is for this to happen.

If you look at your gun while empty of course put the mag inside while the slide is locked back,looking threw the ejection port you will see where the follower pushes up on a certain tab usually attacked to the slide lock,by adjusting the angles of the mag follower you can make the contact point stronger.

I have no idea how you doing work like this yourself will affect any warranty,but i always prefer to work on my guns rather than send them back just for adjustments or even broken parts if i can replace them myself.
Old December 14, 2009, 06:55 AM   #7
spodwo

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. You said you had two problems; what was the second one? Are you now happy with the gun and what ammos have worked well for you?
The extractor was replaced as I was getting some severe FTEs. The spent casing wasn't even clearing the tube...

I called Customer service and the next day a FED EX person came to my door - took the pistol. I tracked it via the Taurus website which indicated that it was recieved, worked on then shipped back. Frankly it sits in Miami for 2.5 weeks, gets worked on one day and shipped the next.

Most have been saying that the turn around time has been less than your proposed 5-8 weeks. Taurus always says 4-6 weeks but again - the time has been less....

On the TaurusArmed.net site you get a pretty good idea of specific issues that pertain to Taurus pistols. Your 738 problem is the first I have heard for that particular pistol.

As Dasfriek stated - in the case of my 709 - the slide lock tab was slipping off the magazine follower which was preventing the lock from working properly. I could see it clearly when I had the slide/barrel assembly off the pistol.
Old December 14, 2009, 10:14 PM   #8
crazyirishman

Gun on way back to Taurus

Thanks to all for your comments and thoughts on the slide lock problem of my new TCP. I got through to the customer service folks within 5 minutes and they are arranging to have Fed Ex pick up the gun at my place tomorrow and I will let you all know how long it takes and how things work when the gun gets back,
Old December 14, 2009, 10:55 PM   #9
sixxgunnernick

Half the price of the kahr..

you get what you pay for..you got half the gun unless you send it back to get fixed. Sure it doesn't say kel tec on it? 400 rounds through my kahr with NO problem. What a solid american made gun..worth a little more.
Old December 15, 2009, 12:13 AM   #10
DasFriek

Quote:
you get what you pay for..you got half the gun unless you send it back to get fixed. Sure it doesn't say kel tec on it? 400 rounds through my kahr with NO problem. What a solid american made gun..worth a little more.
Looks like Kahr has a 33% chance of not working out of the box.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...=kahr+reliable

One guys Kahr nightmare.

Kahr Kaboom!

You should have spent $800 and bought an HK,instead of half that price on a Kahr,unless you send it in and get it fixed.Are you sure yours doesnt say Hi Point on the side? Thats a REAL solid American made gun.....worth a little less.

Well all that was fun,but i hope you get the point,any gun can have issues.And no matter what you own,someone else owns a better gun than yours.Soo in the future try and help people and not laugh at their misfortune.

BTW irishman last heard thier turnaround time isnt all that bad.Personally i would have just had a local smith make a 5 minute adjustment to the mag.
Old December 15, 2009, 06:51 AM   #11
sixxgunnernick

Thats an original reply..any reference used for it? Sounds like someone refered to the kahr as overpriced to begin with..but at least you paid half price. I bought a cheaper gun that has nothing but problems..I wasn't making fun of someones misfortune..I had a sig go kaboom..my kel tec 380 was a nightmare..my walther 22 kept locking up and smith and wesson screwed me with it..so I know about junky guns. I was making fun of the gun not his misfortune..since I overpaid for the kahr that is flawless. You get bonus points for being original with your reply..
Old December 15, 2009, 08:28 AM   #12
crazyirishman

Get what you pay for?

I actually don't mind reading someone's opinion about getting what you pay for? I honestlt felt the Taurus TCP would be a fine gun, and just liked it better than the Keltec A-3/T or Ruger LCP based on looks and feel; not that either of the other guns was that bad. I honestly feel that you are just a bit fortunate if you don't encounter problems when they are NIB or within the first couple hundred rounds no matter what brand you buy. Of course the Kahr or HK would more than likely be of higher quality and have a better chance of not requiring service, but I have heard that those manufacturers also have service departments that are petty busy also!

My wish to all is that if you purchase something new this holiday season that it brings you happiness and joy, and of course does not have to go back for repairs!!! Merry Christmas
Old December 15, 2009, 09:20 AM   #13
sixxgunnernick

Once you get it back and the bugs worked out you will be happy with it. I have read that it is a real accurate shooter..it looks good and if its comfortable in your hand then congrats and enjoy fellow gunner.
Old December 15, 2009, 12:54 PM   #14
crazyirishman

Putting pictures on this forum?

Hey there fellow firing line friends. Any idea how I can post a picture onto this site? Took a nice picture of the slide latch machining on my Taurus TCP and would like to post it here for comments...thanks!

Update- I found the tab above the posting box that allows you to attach images, but the picture I took doesn't show anything as the more I zoomed in the blurrier the picture got. Guess I should have bought a better digital camera, but you know how it is on a tight budget!

Last edited by crazyirishman; December 15, 2009 at 01:07 PM. Reason: answered my own question
Old December 15, 2009, 01:18 PM   #15
DasFriek

Attach Files box below and hit the Manage Attachments button to upload.After you hit the "post reply" button.
Or i use photobucket.com to upload too and then just paste the link into this part of post.

You may need to make the picture a managable size as most camera's take really big pictures,i use IRFanView to adjust picture sizes.

Im almost positive its not your slide lock thats the issue,its the pressure the follower in the magazine thats the issue.
Old December 15, 2009, 06:53 PM   #16
DanimalFL

Quote:
I honestly feel that you are just a bit fortunate if you don't encounter problems when they are NIB or within the first couple hundred rounds no matter what brand you buy
[

Come on people If you buy a gun that requires a break in period you need to buy a higher quality hand gun, how could you trust your life to gun that may or may not function. I recently considerd the the TCP or the LCP and after reading this thread thank goodness I chose LCP which I have shot about 50 times so far and not a single hiccup.
I also have a SW 4013 with probably 1500 rounds thru it and not a single hiccup and a Glock 23 with about 100 rounds with no problems
Old December 15, 2009, 10:18 PM   #17
boykinhntr

The LCP had plenty of problems. This is the first problem I have heard of with a TCP. Great guns.
I hope the OP has better luck when it's returned.
Old December 15, 2009, 10:49 PM   #18
45_Shooter

Quote:
Come on people If you buy a gun that requires a break in period you need to buy a higher quality hand gun, how could you trust your life to gun that may or may not function.
While I usually try to put it a little more elegantly, I basically agree. I've owned 50-some handguns over the years from various manufacturers and have yet to purchase a brand new gun that did not function as intended from the start.

Actually, the only guns I really have had trouble with were either very old and worn revolvers or used 1911's.

Small pistols are by their nature more finicky though, so if I were in the market for one I might be more accepting of some initial problems; part of the tradeoff.
Old December 16, 2009, 07:02 AM   #19
spodwo

Quote:
Come on people If you buy a gun that requires a break in period you need to buy a higher quality hand gun, how could you trust your life to gun that may or may not function.
I am not a "Break - In" kind of guy anyway...it should work out of the box - not need 200 rounds to make it work right. Some manufacturers contend that a "break in' is required - Kahr for example. You pay twice as much or more for some Kahrs and they pretty much say - don't bother us unless you have shot 200 rounds through it....

The high tolerance 1911s say "break in" needed to "get the parts to mesh better". Ok. I guess if you pay $2000.00 for a 1911 - you can afford to spring for the ammo...

I have had a boat load of firearms since the 70s and I have never had one not work every time I pulled the trigger. When I did have issues - as previously mentioned - I use the manufacturer Customer Service to it's end result: A pistol that works when I pull the trigger.

"Break in" to me - is more fiction than fact.

crazyirishman - you can track the progress of your Taurus online by using your zipcode and serial number...I hope it comes back quickly.
Old December 17, 2009, 09:32 PM   #20
Conductor

Tuarus 738 TCP

Bought mine about a month ago. Love the gun. Traded in Kel-Tec 380 for it. Fired approx. 50 rounds with both magazines and slide always stayed open on last shot. Also had zero jams. Gun worked perfectly right out of the box. Have the Stainless Steel model. Called taurus but they are not manufacturing the extended magazine yet and not sure when the will start.
Old December 17, 2009, 09:40 PM   #21
Breezes5

Put 200 aquilla and remington through it with no problems. Very accurate gun.
Old December 17, 2009, 10:11 PM   #22
David the Gnome

Is it supposed to hold open on the last round? The slide release on the Ruger LCP is there only to lock open the slide manually and not meant as a slide catch.
Old December 18, 2009, 06:37 AM   #23
spodwo

Quote:
Is it supposed to hold open on the last round?
Yes.
Old December 18, 2009, 10:00 AM   #24
crazyirishman

Good customer serice from Taurus

Just a further update on my TCP. As I had said, Taurus arranged to have the gun picked up by Fed Ex the day after I called with the slide lock problem and later the next day the gun showed up on the Taurus 'repair status' site as being received. As of today it does not show as being in the repair status mode, but I am confident that i will have it back in a few weeks and hopefully it will be 100%.

On the comments from other members, I would like to thank you all but I must admit that I hope the root cause of the problem is not the magazine as some have suggested. I only returned the gun with one of the two mags that came with the gun, per Taurus's directions, and it seems that since the slide doesn't stay open after the last round is fired or if the mag is not installed and I want to keep the slide manually open for cleaning or inspection. I am hoping it is just a machining issue but until I get it back and try it I will not be certain. By the way, do members feel it is an advantage to have the slide stay open after the last round is fired? Is that truly a feature that makes the gun 'better' than some other brands that don't stay open?
Old December 18, 2009, 06:54 PM   #25
craigluvjulie

Taurus 738

I'm having the same problem with my Taurus 738 tcp I sent it back also.My slide lock is not working either
I do think the slide staying open is the best.Just think if you are in a fire fight in your home and the slide does not lock after firing the last round tnenext shot will just be a click and could be your last