The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 30, 2010, 06:09 PM   #1
lockedcj7

Range report: Browning Buckmark Camper "Whisper"

I posted a few days ago about finding this gun in my local dealer's case and I put it on layaway since I didn't have the cash with me and I didn't want it to get away. I went back a few days later and picked it up. I needn't have worried since they had at least one more. Due to the surprise winter storm in the Southeast, I had to wait to shoot it but I was able to get out today despite a 1/2" of ice on everything outdoors.

I've never owned a Buckmark but I expected good things based on previous experiences with a BHP and the numerous Brownings that I've fondled. I wasn't dissappointed. The Camper is a no-nonsense gun with a flat-black finish, good synthetic grips and seems to be all business. The only thing fancy is the gold trigger. There were no failures of any kind among four different types of ammo including one mixed magazine of loose ammo from my junk drawer. The controls will be familiar to anyone who has fired more than a few autos and were predictably stiff for a brand-new gun.

Accuracy was good with UMC el-cheapo ammo and even better with Remington subsonic hollow-points. When I find some match ammo, it might do even better and I suspect that a better target will help. My eyes don't like the orange and white combo. The group in the pic below was six shots from a rest at 15 yards. Two 5-shot groups were better but I didn't take a pic.

The write-up on the suppressor is on the NFA page.