The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 14, 2010, 04:58 PM   #1
angel71rs

Sigma 9mm range review + trigger job

I was at Academy last Monday on my eternal quest for .380 ammo, stopped by the pistol display case and saw the "Hot Deal" tags on the Sigmas. I'd read a bit about these pistols, many saying they were good... but the trigger...

So I asked to see one. Liked the sights, pointed naturally, felt good in my small hand, comfortable. Some double stackers feel too bulky/chunky to me, this one felt nice. 299 - 50 rebate = $250 for a new pistol from a respected US manufacturer, figured worst case, would end up with a reliable pistol I'd keep in the garage or something.

So I bought one, some WWB + a box of Monarch they had on sale, and immediately went to my favorite range. Sent the target out to 7 yds, loaded up 3 rounds of WWB, just to see where POI was, function check. Easy shooter, good grip angle, I liked the sights, and accurate. Two rounds were vertical to each other, just about touching, other was 1/2" to their right side, on POA. Took it out to 15 yds next, shot 10 rounds, group was about the size of a grapefruit. That's pretty good for me, I'm not a great shot.

As far as the trigger, I thought it was fine, about the same as an ok DA revolver. No pulling as you would expect if the trigger was really as bad as some have posted on the net. Didn't shoot too many rounds, just enough to satisfy my curiosity.

Perfectly serviceable trigger as is IMO. But a little gritty, decided I couldn't leave well enough alone, had to work on the trigger. Sooooooo...

I did a lot of reading and decided to do what seemed would have the greatest payoff without risking reliability.

Sear block assy: deburred/polished all contact points, including the slot that many find burrs in. Remove the pigtail spring at the base of the stirrup. Replaced the outer spring with a lighter ball point pen spring.

Some leave off the outer spring, but guys have posted a statement from S&W that the outer spring was added to ensure reliability with SD ammo, so don't want to go with just the inner. Some trim the inner/outer springs, but that is not reversible. Some go with the pen spring, that is reversible (as is the pigtail removal), so that is what I did.

Did not change the striker spring for a lighter Wolf, did not want to risk light strikes. Just polished the contact surfaces on the striker. So all work was free, just took time and a little effort. Ended up nice and smooth, trigger pull effort dropped around 30%, just by feel.

Also polished the feed ramp as long as I had it apart.

Just back from the range and I'm very happy with the results! Used both magazines this time to function check the 2nd one, no problems with the WWB. Monarch I bought had occasional ftf jams, so I put that to the side, WWB shot fine the rest of the trip.

I'm satisfied with the way the trigger ended up. The pull still requires enough effort to be safe IMO, but makes it much easier to smoothly stroke the shot. Before, I had to make a conscious effort with the trigger, now I just concentrate on the sight picture and squeeze off the shot.

I shot off ~ 150 rds thru the Sigma, and after ~ 80, started to feel it on the knuckle at the base of my thumb where the back of the pistol was hitting it. I keep band aids in my range bag to protect my trigger finger from my P-3AT's trigger guard, put one on my knuckle for cushion, kept on shooting.

I still have to try it with SD ammo. I looked in a couple of places locally during the week, couldn't find any, guess I'll have to order online. I'm partial to Speer Gold Dots. Has anyone shot these thru their Sigma, or any other SD ammo to recommend in these?

I'd have to rank this as one of my all time best purchases; 250 bucks + free trigger job = I'm happy.
Old February 14, 2010, 05:45 PM   #2
varoadking

The Sigma is a wonderful value purchase. I like my Allied Forces model a great deal...

Aside from my Bulgarian Makarov, I have less invested in it in it than I have in magazines for any of my other pieces...