The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 14, 1998, 01:16 PM   #1
shootist16

I would like any opinions on the USP 9mm. Please don't rag on the caliber, it is the only one my department will let us carry.
Old October 14, 1998, 02:54 PM   #2
Kodiac

First off... Your going in the right direction. The thing shoots like it's a .380... very light recoil. It is accurate and totaly reliable... suposedly even more than the .40 or .45 but those are flawless, so I don't see how the 9 could be worse.
The USP has a certain look I can't quantify... When I patroled the mean streets of my beat I carried a Sig P220. You know that moment of hesitation when a perp is thinking about Fight,Flight or Submit? Well, I know you know that moment... I switched to a .40 USP for my own reasons. After that switch - I never had a perp hesitate, they all complied with verbal commands instantly. No second thought -they saw that big ugly USP leveled at them... that was it.
Stay Safe, Kodiac.
Old October 14, 1998, 03:00 PM   #3
[email protected]
Wise Guy

I don't know about the 9mm, but I do know about the USP 40, which is the same size.

Quite frankly, it's the best pistol I've ever owned or fired.

There isn't much not to like about it: It's available in any trigger mode: SAO, DAO, SA/DA, w/ or w/o decocker, with a manual safety or without, left handed controls or right handed controls, etc etc etc.

Since you are a LEO, high cap magazines aren't a concern, so their relative unavailabilty isn't something to consider, unlike us civilian types.

The mag release is ambi, and well placed. Recoil is very nice, trigger could use some work, but is still pretty good. Sights are 3 dot, if you can afford it, get night sights.

It's a big pistol, don't get me wrong, but it just fits in my hands better than any other I've held, which was really important to me. Grips are very aggressive.

I like it.

Spark
Old October 14, 1998, 03:32 PM   #4
Rich Lucibella
Staff

I, too have the USP .40. Great firearm if you're carrying open. The weapon is ideal for a gloved hand, given the oversized trigger guard and controls and the sharp checkering. (I took a Leatherman file to the checkering on the backstrap to smooth it out a bit...worked like a charm.)

Good single action trigger for a DA weapon. Accurate and reliable. Walt (if he ever gets here) was the Rangemaster at our Gunsite 350 when a young MP won the shoot off with one tucked in a duty rig, flap holster. That boy was fast!

For concealed carry; well, no thanks. Just too damned big.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited 10-14-98).]
Old October 15, 1998, 10:11 AM   #5
BrokenArrow

The market survey HK did for the USP said we wanted a polymer frame, DA, hicap 1911. We got it? Glock still sells circles around em.
A good pistol; accurate, reliable, durable. A great pistol if it fits you. I've really, really tried, and it doesn't fit me.
Bore axis is too high for me, too much muzzle flip. I am conscious of the slide cycling, disconcerting at times.
Not with out teething problems despite all the R&D/T&E HK did. The NRAs American Rifleman broke two testing for their article using 135/1300 handloads; HK used mostly 180 stuff. Early models had pins work lose/break locking up the gun; know a guy who tried using his as an IPSC gun. Second time it broke and second time HK fixed the same problem, he sold it. Santa Barbara county SD had some probs with their first batch; jamamatics. Gunk left in firing pin channels from factory caused probs.
*****happens? If it works for you, blaze away!
Old October 19, 1998, 02:45 AM   #6
Randall Kern

Just two comments from my experience with an HK USP40F, haven't shot the 9 but it should be very similar.

I've put around 12,000 rds through my pistol; IPSC, several classes, and lots of practice. Haven't had but 2 feed problems, both in the first 50 rds. Run everything from 180FMJ reloads, to 135gr +P+ CorBon.

I also find it easily concealed (I'm about 6'2", 225lbs.)

-Randy

Old October 23, 1998, 10:38 PM   #7
GmbH

I agree on the personality ( or should I say Gunsonality ) of USP over any other Pistol. Especially SIGs look like water guns to me. It's hard to say "Freeze" with a SIG, since it doesn't offer you much confidence.

With USP, you know you are sure. No criminals take USP lightly, whether they know guns or not.

USPs are the most well-balanced handgun of all. Besides, jamming is not in its DNA. If you use proper ammo, it will never come close to a "jam". May be it's the one pistol that is more reliable than a revolver.

Simply perfect.
Old December 14, 1998, 10:36 PM   #8
snoman

I carry a H&K USP .45 fullsize both on and off duty (you can carry it concealed and not get a second glance, and I am not a small person.)And if you use the UTL, it turns into a first class O-SH** gun. By the way, does anyone know if Lasermax is comming out with a sight for the USP yet??????

---SNOMAN---
Old December 14, 1998, 10:54 PM   #9
HK40

IMHO, HK does not make a bad USP pistol. I have had the chance to shoot every USP they offer, and although I have settled with the 40, I certainly would take the 9mm. It is completely reliable, and more accurate then the shooter. The controls come in just about every configuration possible. I also like the mag release, which is one of the main reason I like the USPs (believe it or not). They are extremely rugged, engineered to shoot all kinds of loads including +P and +P+ loads. I have never personally known anyone to have a problem of anykind with their USP. I like the sights, but wish I had gotten the Nite Sights. (I am working on it though). With the right holster they are easily concealed. Recoil is light in all of the USPs, regardless of caliber. Anyway, I could go on and on without saying enough good things about the USP. I do not think you would be sorry purchasing any of the USPs. If you want more info check out www.hecklerkoch-usa.com --HK40
Closed Thread