The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 19, 2001, 08:04 PM   #1
Apple a Day

I was pondering the question of hollowpoints when a thought occurred to me: Why not just make a handgun with a larger diameter bore?
Now, I do NOT suggest a proportional increase in powder charge since that would be more than the vast majority of people could reasonably handle. How about a new cartridge developed -after study- with enough gusto to penetrate through a human body from most angles and not much more than that. I know there are a ton of variables associated with that and I am not an expert but I am sure an expert could come up with something reasonable.
For those 1911 aficionados who want a 50% expansion from their hollow points, why not just use a .75 caliber? For those with a 9mm why not a .54 caliber? The larger diameter would increase drag but would that really make that big of a difference since most self defense shootings occur at such short ranges?
On the downside the weight would increase, I suppose, but can be cut elsewhere with the use of composites. The size of the cartridges would cut down on the magazine capacity (assuming a self-loader) but at the moment we aren't allowed more than 10 anyway.
So, would a larger bore handgun make a better self defense/house gun? Help me out. What have I not thought of?
Old January 19, 2001, 08:16 PM   #2
sw627pc

Well that is pretty much the design concept of the .45 ACP round. As far as going bigger, remember that anything over .50 caliber gets you into big headaches with the Federal government.
Old January 19, 2001, 08:28 PM   #3
RANash

You must take the laws of physics into account. The bigger the caliber of the bullet, the slower it will go, unless you compensate for that with a greater charge. The greater the charge, the stronger and heaver the gun will need to be. Eventually, it is too big to carry well, or to shoot well.

There are a lot of "mouse guns" out there in people's pockets, but not a lot of Desert Eagle .50s for that reason. If I had to choose between being shot with a mouse gun or a .50, I'd take the mouse gun. But the chances of running into someone with a .50AE on him are a lot less.
Old January 19, 2001, 08:31 PM   #4
Quantum Singularity

.50 ACP???

I would like to see a low pressured/low velocity .50 cartridge introduced (call it the .50 ACP). I mean, the the current .50 cartridges (such as the .50 AE) are hard recoiling hand cannons. But, a .50 cal cartridge loaded down to 750-800 fps should be somewhat easy to handle. The recoil would be stout, but due to the lower pressure I don't think it would be "snappy" recoil (which I don't handle well). Plus, it has the potential to be a great defensive caliber (assuming hollowpoints would work at the lower velocities--which isn't always the case). Even if it doesn't expand much, a .50 cal hole is gonna hurt worse than a non expanding .45 cal hole. It would be an interesting round!

MOLON LABE!
Old January 19, 2001, 08:37 PM   #5
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

I'd bet a 16 bore "howdah" would indeed be a fight stopper.. but its not easily concealable.
Old January 19, 2001, 09:16 PM   #6
PreserveFreedom

Would you want to carry a mag the size of a double stack Glock mag that only holds four rounds?

Old January 19, 2001, 09:19 PM   #7
Quantum Singularity

.50 is not for "carrying"

You might be able to get 5 rounds into the magazine? I could be wrong. Either way, a .50 cal gun is NOT a carry gun. It should be chambered only in a full sized autoloader (5" or greater barrel).

MOLON LABE!
Old January 20, 2001, 12:40 AM   #8
Tropical Z

1968-Thats all you need to know.
Old January 20, 2001, 01:34 AM   #9
ctdonath

Bigger bullet means bigger shells

12 guage is about equivalent to .75 caliber. For that size, you get three rounds in the Serbu Super-Shorty. A lot per shot, but not many shots and not much accuracy for a BIG gun.

It's a lot more efficient to pack smaller rounds that turn into large ones on impact.
Old January 20, 2001, 02:27 AM   #10
Alaska Roy

.72 caliber for 12 bore-

Ya'll made me go mike my short Rossi rabbit ear. That Serbu is cute but way out of line price wise, the older Remington 870s had some of the short mag tubes so all you had to do was cut it and register it. I'm glad they don't make the .50acp because I'd have to buy one. As Col. Cooper once said in answer to why he carried the 1911 .45acp "because they don't make a .50acp"..Roy
Old January 20, 2001, 06:53 AM   #11
STEVE M

Sounds like the old turn of the century British bulldog revolvers in .455, they were big and slow and close to 59cal.
Old January 20, 2001, 08:26 AM   #12
sw627pc

Steve,

"close to 59 caliber"???

The .455 Bulldogs fired the .455 Webley round. Which is the true caliber (.455). Just slightly larger diameter than the .45 Colt and .45 ACP.

Old January 20, 2001, 11:45 AM   #13
STEVE M

SW627pc, sorry that should have been 50 cal. I should drink more coffee before I try to type.
Old January 20, 2001, 12:10 PM   #14
Apple a Day

blackpowder folks help me with this one...

THose of us who shoot black powder pistols and/or are up on their handgun history, what were the bore sizes of the pre-civil war pistols? Weren't they somewhere on the order of .50 and .71 calibers?
Old January 20, 2001, 07:33 PM   #15
BTR

I have read that any handgun over fifty caliber is illegal for manufacuture. Check out the latest American Rifleman, with reference to the hangun that fired small rockets...they were too big a diameter, and thus were banned. Grrrr.
Old January 20, 2001, 08:01 PM   #16
NicMk5

I know that the brits used to make a .577 revolver for military use(purchased by individual officers not the army).
Hmph it was just the thing for stopping a charge of dervishes or fuzzy wuzzies don't you know? The Remington rolling block pistol was a .50cal center fire with a 300 grain bullet at about 600 fps.
Old January 21, 2001, 07:13 AM   #17
STEVE M

Thanks, NicMk5. That was the other one I was trying to think of. They liked the whole concept of large bore/slow bullets back then. It's a shame they went to no bore/harsh words.
Old January 21, 2001, 10:28 AM   #18
sw627pc

BTR,

Not illegal, just expensive and a pain in the sitter. Any firearm (other than a shotgun) with a bore diameter over .5 inch is classified as a restricted weapon by the BATF. You have to go through the tax stamp, approval cycle, etc. like it was an automatic weapon.