The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2017, 10:32 AM   #1
Roland Thunder

Need bullet advise for Kahr PM9

I usually don't load rounds to be used in my Kahr PM 9, mostly because my 9mm's bullets are all plated and I know you're not supposed to shoot lead out of a PM9 (polygonal barrel, I believe is the reason). Any way, I am thinking about starting to load for my PM9 and would like to know if it would be better to shoot hollow points or RN's out of it.
Old October 25, 2017, 10:36 AM   #2
dallasb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Thunder View Post
I usually don't load rounds to be used in my Kahr PM 9, mostly because my 9mm's bullets are all plated and I know you're not supposed to shoot lead out of a PM9 (polygonal barrel, I believe is the reason). Any way, I am thinking about starting to load for my PM9 and would like to know if it would be better to shoot hollow points or RN's out of it.
Practice or carry ammo?

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
Old October 25, 2017, 10:41 AM   #3
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasb
Practice or carry ammo?
I want to practice with what I'll be carrying, so I would say "carry"
Old October 25, 2017, 10:51 AM   #4
higgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Thunder
I usually don't load rounds to be used in my Kahr PM 9, mostly because my 9mm's bullets are all plated and I know you're not supposed to shoot lead out of a PM9 (polygonal barrel, I believe is the reason).
Why would you not shoot plated out of a polygonal barrel? I do it almost exclusively with H&K and Walther polygonal barrels.
Old October 25, 2017, 10:54 AM   #5
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Why would you not shoot plated out of a polygonal barrel? I do it almost exclusively with H&K and Walther polygonal barrels.
I always thought plated were actually lead underneath the plating
Old October 25, 2017, 11:06 AM   #6
higgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Thunder
I always thought plated were actually lead underneath the plating
They are, but so are jacketed bullets.
Old October 25, 2017, 11:18 AM   #7
Roland Thunder

Quote:
They are, but so are jacketed bullets.
OK, great. I already have some plated 9mm 124gr RN's, I can use for practice or carry depending on how well the PM9 shoots hollow points. I've never shot hollow points out of it, only RN's
Old October 25, 2017, 11:33 AM   #8
higgite

I'm sure it will do just fine with HPs. Enjoy.
Old October 25, 2017, 12:16 PM   #9
FITASC

Load and shoot the bullets that feed 100% and give you good accuracy, plated or jacketed.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 25, 2017, 12:33 PM   #10
stephen426

I have a PM9 and I have shot thousands of round through it. Stick with jacketed bullets to avoid depositing lead in your barrel.
Old October 25, 2017, 03:05 PM   #11
higgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426
I have a PM9 and I have shot thousands of round through it. Stick with jacketed bullets to avoid depositing lead in your barrel.
Are you saying that plated bullets will deposit lead in your barrel? I have shot thousands of plated bullets through polygonal barrels and not seen any leading. We are talking about copper plated bullets, such as sold by X-treme, Berry's and others, right?
Old October 25, 2017, 03:21 PM   #12
Roland Thunder

A
Quote:
re you saying that plated bullets will deposit lead in your barrel? I have shot thousands of plated bullets through polygonal barrels and not seen any leading. We are talking about copper plated bullets, such as sold by X-treme, Berry's and others, right?
Yes, copper plated from X-treme (that's where I get mine). No,I am not at all saying they will lead your barrel. I don't shoot it that much and what few times I have used it, I have bought factory FMJ's mostly because it's not worth loading my own ammo for it (at least until now) no more than I shoot it.

So I guess it's more of a question than a statement. So, if you use plated in yours, all the better because I have some I got from x-treme.
Old October 25, 2017, 06:22 PM   #13
Astocks2622

If you want to shoot what you carry, I'd suggest the Hornady XTP's. They are the best value while still having reliable expansion.
There is absolutely no issue with shooting plated bullets out of a polygonal rifled barrel. The copper plating prevents the lead core from ever contacting the barrel, just like a jacketed bullet. IF you seriously over crimp or run too high a velocity (not possible in a 9mm, or most any handgun) you can get the plating to fail, causing accuracy and leading issues.
Leading with cast bullets is an issue if used in a polygonal rifled barrel extensively without cleaning. The increased surface area in contact with the bullet strips extra lead of the bullet, slowly constricting the bore, and increasing pressure. This usually happens SLOWLY, over many rounds. Shooting a mag of cast through a Glock or other handgun with a polygonal rifled barrel shouldn't cause any type of issue.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old October 26, 2017, 12:24 AM   #14
Marco Califo

Glock, along with some other manufacturers, claimed using copper plated bullets (grouped along with lead cast bullets) would void your warranty. I bought an aftermarket 9mm barrel with conventional rifling, partly to heed this advice, and also to switch calibers in my G23 to 9mm, to work a 9mm only assignment.
I personally now regard that idea as an old wives tale, probably conjectured before quality plated bullet (Beerys, Rainer, and others) became well established. I have never heard of anyone testing and demonstrating, the specific effect that had been theorized, using plated bullets. I do not shoot cast or exposed lead bullets (any non-jacketed, non-plated). Those put a lead mist in the air and are prohibited at indoor ranges.
I can attest to the opposing point of view. I have shot a lot of plated bullets in my Glocks in 40SW and 9mm. Both in the polygon bore and conventional rifling without noticing any leading in any barrel. I know what leading in the barrel looks like from shooting and carrying Smith & Wesson revolvers and cast wadcutters and SWCs.
I was actually impressed that when I did have one plated bullet squib lodge in the barrel, and I pushed it out of the polygon bore, it only looked slightly flattened, shiny and the plating was perfectly attached. In my Glock polygon barrels, I would not hesitate to carry Berrys Hybrid hollow points, that are plated first and then swaged to stamp the flying ashtray imprint. Speer Gold Dots do the same thing.
I also think the poly barrels are a lot easier to clean that rifled bores.

Last edited by Marco Califo; October 26, 2017 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Glock warning included all non-jacketed bullets
Old October 26, 2017, 12:31 AM   #15
stephen426

Copper plated bullets are fine. I meant that regular cast bullets that are only lead can cause lead build up in the barrel.