The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 14, 2023, 03:51 PM   #1
frjeff

Lee Single Stage Presses

Returning to reloading for .380ACP only.
Debating between the Lee “C” press and the Challenger.
Both I believe have the breach lock system, which is important to me.
However, it appears that the “C” model does not have the bushing button lock and unlock feature.
Has anyone here had any problems with the “C” model breech lock press (shifting, loosening, etc.) or does it stay in a fixed position without having the lock button?
The Challenger costs more, but worth it to me to go with it if the “C” bushing does not stay secure.
Thanks!
Old July 14, 2023, 06:00 PM   #2
Scorpion8

Why Lee? Lots of single stage presses out there used and many can be fitted with the Lee system of the Hornady system.
Old July 14, 2023, 06:28 PM   #3
frjeff

Makes Good Sense

Let’s make this more open - ANY single stage press, not just Lee…
Old July 15, 2023, 07:58 AM   #4
jetinteriorguy

I have a Lee C-press, the original threaded type. I bought it and only use it as a powder measure stand. Honestly, I wouldn’t use it as a press. First of all, the ram isn’t quite aligned with the die and you’d have to be very careful using it and I’m sure it wouldn’t produce the most concentric ammo. Second, it is really lightly built and wouldn’t handle much heavy use for very long. Now take this with a grain of salt, I’ve never actually loaded any ammo with it and this is just conjecture based on my observations using this press for such light duty work. It does work fine with my Lee Improved PPM though and has a very small footprint on my bench and at the time I purchased it cost less than a purpose built powder stand and in a pinch could double as a light duty press.
Old July 15, 2023, 04:12 PM   #5
jpx2rk

I have the Challenger version and have no issues with it for the smaller rifle calibers (20 & 22 cal). I have used it for necking up 223 brass to 6x45 and making 20 Practical brass as well out of 223 brass. I also size 6BR on it, all work done w/o issue.
Old July 15, 2023, 04:41 PM   #6
wild willy

I can’t recommend the Lee C press.I’ve had one since they first came out used it for decapping,pulling bullets and other stuff don’t know if I ever sized and loaded on it.When new it had a lot of play only got worse as it wore.Replaced it with a Lyman C press much better press costs more but worth it.For other than sizing I like the open front of a C Press
Old July 19, 2023, 07:05 PM   #7
berettaprofessor

Breech Lock Challenger was my first press and I still use it for almost all rifle loads. I use a Lee Classic Turret for pistol. I have a Lee Classic single stage but don't load anything large enough to need it (i.e. 338 Lapua for example).
Old July 20, 2023, 03:06 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Either of the Lee presses you mentioned, or their hand press will work and meet your criteria. The 380 doesn't take a lot of strength to reload. The only thing you may regret is how long it takes to load handgun cartridges as compared to how quickly you shoot them up. For more volume, Lee's turret press is a good choice, as you can use it as a single-stage press to learn on and then start cycling the turret to speed things up a little.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 20, 2023, 03:23 PM   #9
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
Either of the Lee presses you mentioned, or their hand press will work and meet your criteria. The 380 doesn't take a lot of strength to reload. The only thing you may regret is how long it takes to load handgun cartridges as compared to how quickly you shoot them up. For more volume, Lee's turret press is a good choice, as you can use it as a single-stage press to learn on and then start cycling the turret to speed things up a little.
Unclenick brings up a good point ...
The Lee Hand Press is a great little press for loading handgun ammo .
I have two of them and Love them for the many places I can sit inside my a/c'ed house and reload handgun ammo ... works fine on 30-30 rifle too .
I have found the Hand Press and a little Ram Prime priming unit (it comes with the Hand Press Kit) to be the best hand priming tool for any caliber .

Think about the Lee Hand Press ... one of the handiest tools Lee ever came out with .

Gary
Old July 21, 2023, 12:19 PM   #10
Hammerhead

I bought the Lee C press for decapping duties. Very poor quality, mis-aligned ram, was tough to work empty, bound up terribly with brass.
I recommend anything else.
Old July 21, 2023, 08:48 PM   #11
THEWELSHM

Rock chucker or Hornady mate not enough more money than the Lee, but better options. LEE Dies will work for all of them I'm not brand loyal but offering my advice.

Thewelshm
Old July 22, 2023, 04:30 AM   #12
Mike / Tx

I have several of the small Lee presses that are used for various operations. I have one set up expressly for sizing bullets and another dedicated to mobil reloading as can be seen here,
Portable Presses

I have used it to load a multitude of calibers up to a 300 RUM but that one was tricky. For handgun calibers it works great at the range or in the shop.

That said, it isn't the strongest or most accurate by any stretch. But it has served a purpose and for the price and size has been great. I would have to say that if you are looking specifically for something like this, look at the RCBS as well. It doesn't have the breech lock like the newer small Lee's do, but when you are loading batch rounds your doing the same steps for 10, 50, or a hundred rounds anyway. Changing a die takes about a minute and you're going on to the next step.
Old July 22, 2023, 09:55 AM   #13
RoyceP

I have one of the Lee C presses. I use it to hold my Lyman #55 powder measure.
Old July 22, 2023, 11:12 AM   #14
higgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
I bought the Lee C press for decapping duties. Very poor quality, mis-aligned ram, was tough to work empty, bound up terribly with brass.
I recommend anything else.
^^^^ My experience exactly. ^^^^
Old July 23, 2023, 07:11 PM   #15
The Happy kaboomer

A life long single stage press is the RCBS Rockchucker.......Will be good when you are gone.........DON"T go cheap.
Old July 23, 2023, 10:53 PM   #16
tangolima

I don't like C frame and I don't need the breach lock. That narrows down. Challenger is made of aluminum, is it not? Don't care about that either. Classic cast iron is better, with breach lock upgrade if you need it.

Nothing wrong with Lee. It has the job done and good value. RCBS rock chucker is good too.

But I didn't pick either one when I was looking for single stage press while back. I need better spent primer recovery system. I don't want the powdery primer residue floating in air. I ended up getting a Forester coax. Frankfort arsenal also makes similar product.

Coax is a quirky design. Its primer recovery system is the best I could find.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old July 24, 2023, 01:23 PM   #17
Unclenick
Staff

The original Lee Classic Cast press has a through-ram primer drop with a tube you can set into a can or simply cork the opening and let it fill until you want to dump it. I bought one of those presses when they first came out, just to try it, and it works fine. At the time, Midway had them for $57 as an introductory special offer.
Old July 24, 2023, 02:44 PM   #18
tangolima

Quote:
The original Lee Classic Cast press has a through-ram primer drop with a tube you can set into a can or simply cork the opening and let it fill until you want to dump it. I bought one of those presses when they first came out, just to try it, and it works fine. At the time, Midway had them for $57 as an introductory special offer.
You are right. I almost bought one, and was contemplating what sort of contraption to attach to the tubing while waiting for a promotion to come along. Then I saw this almost brand new coax on consignment for $250 at a local shop. I jumped on it. Its primer recovery is still better.

-TL

Old July 24, 2023, 02:48 PM   #19
Unclenick
Staff

Yes, it is better. The drop through the press is a lot shorter, and it isn't building up dust in a long, hollow press ram.
Old July 24, 2023, 03:02 PM   #20
tangolima

Quote:
Yes, it is better. The drop through the press is a lot shorter, and it isn't building up dust in a long, hollow press ram.
Oh believe me it still clogs. I have had to clear it a few times.

-TL

Old July 25, 2023, 10:34 AM   #21
Unclenick
Staff

Right! My point was that if you have a hollow ram and build up dust in there, it's a lot more bother to clean out than the Co-ax drop tube.
Old July 25, 2023, 11:13 AM   #22
BrBa

My only experience with single stage presses is a Forster Co-Ax, but I've been very happy with it.

Whichever press you decide to run, I recommend checking out the Ultramount mounting options from Inline Fab. I use the 7.5" Junior model which is tall enough for tabletop work without having anything hang down below the bench surface.
Old July 30, 2023, 01:06 AM   #23
TruthTellers

Of all the Lee single stages I would recommend, it's the APP. You don't have to use the case feed system if you don't want to, but if this press is only for one caliber there'd be no reason no to as you would size and flare cases much faster.

You wouldn't be able to charge cases on the APP tho, so if you were looking to do that avoid the APP.

I do own the C frame you're asking about, I bought it specifically to use the Lee Auto Disk as none of my other presses allowed for that. I have used it occasionally and have no complaints. The Challenger is a fine press, but for just handgun use only I think it's overkill and a waste, the APP is perfect for use with handgun calibers.
Old July 30, 2023, 06:01 AM   #24
Shadow9mm

Personally i hate the breach lock feature and the lee lock rings. I have the hornady lock n load system, i have spent so much money on those quick change adapers its not funny. If it were me, id buy hornady lock rings which clamp to the die and keep my settings. And just snug it down when i put the die in.
Old July 30, 2023, 03:28 PM   #25
Mike38

The Lee Challenger press will work just fine for reloading handgun cartridges. I bought one 25 years ago and have been loading everything from .32acp to 7mmSTW with it and it's still working fine. Just keep the ram clean and a bit of lube. The steel ram rides in the aluminum frame and I would think it would wear out quickly if it is left dirty and unlubed.