The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 1, 2001, 06:14 PM   #1
poperszky

BotachTactical.com

I am getting ready to purchase an Optima 2000 for my Beretta 92FS and I found a good price on BotachTactical.com. Have any of you dealt with them, would you mind sharing your experiences?

I get nervous when I try someone new. I just tried to purchase some Peltor electrontic muffs from a new supplier but canceled it three days later when they still wouldn't give me a ship date, I would rather not waste time again.

Terry
Old July 1, 2001, 06:23 PM   #2
KPS

I find their cheaper prices are not worth the hassle.If you do a search on here or maybe 1911.com you will find a post on them.I called them to order a Monadnock baton and asked if they had them in stock before ordering.They said they did have them in stock but told me to order from their website instead.I did order through their website and 2 days later I received an email saying they did not have any in stock.I also found it very difficult to understand the people working there.People dealing with the public should be able to speak a little English.Perhaps that's how my order was screwed up.

But that's just my opinion.

-Kris
Old July 1, 2001, 06:55 PM   #3
Blue Duck357

Someone on GlockTalk posted a link to the Better Business Bureau in thier area, it had a scathing report on them.

From what I've read I would avoid them at all cost.
Old July 1, 2001, 07:17 PM   #4
KPS

Here's a post from www.1911forum.com about them

http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000757.html
Old July 1, 2001, 07:30 PM   #5
poperszky

Thanks

Thanks for the advise guys. After the experience last week, I don't need anymore run arounds. Can anyone recommend a good Internet supplier for Tasco Products? I have used Midwayusa.com in the past, but they are out of the mount for my Beretta.

Terry
Old July 1, 2001, 11:18 PM   #6
Coronach

I must be the only person in the world who has never had a problem with Botach. I have ordered from them about 8 times, and each time I got what i wanted in a timely manner, no messups.

I dunno, I'm just lucky I guess.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old July 2, 2001, 12:53 AM   #7
Gabby Hayes

I ordered from Botach one time earlier this year. Never received the product (but was't billed either, for what that's worth). Sent three e-mails -- no response. Called three times during the week -- no one picked up the phone.

Someone either here or on Glocktalk lives in LA and was going over to the store to see if it really exists. I don't recall ever seeing him post again. I suspect they may be holding him prisoner.

Here's the address of the Better Business Bureau office Botach's area: [ http://www.bbbsouthland.org/ ]. Their report, as mentioned above, does not inspire confidence.
Old July 2, 2001, 04:51 AM   #8
KPS

Try www.brownells.com .If you have a C&R they'll give you a discount from what I've heard.
Old July 2, 2001, 06:11 PM   #9
hipwr40

Hey Coronach, we should start up a "luckiest guys in the world" club I ordered an Optima 2000 for my 686 and received it in 2 days. I ordered it off their website late one night and had a "thank you" email the next morning. Can't beat the price either, $115.00 for the Optima 3MOA dot (that everybody else and their brother had backordered)

Of course, YMMV
Old July 2, 2001, 06:19 PM   #10
poperszky

Just got a response from an email I sent them asking for availability of the site. They told me email them back after the 10th because they were doing inventory between now and the the 7th.

Definately going someplace else.
Old July 2, 2001, 09:58 PM   #11
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Have used them quite a few times because of low prices, but my experiences have gotten progressively worse...wrong sizes shipped, being finally contacted A MONTH after ordering, to advise my order was not in stock (!), being called to ask if substituting a different item was okay (it was), then finding out from invoice my order had ALREADY shipped when I was called...etc, etc. My last order from them was a 60$+ order. The main item I was ordering was out of stock, and I received an email notifying me my order had shipped:
14$ merchandise,
7$ shipping. This was without advising me that most of what I had ordered was out of inventory, or I would have just cancelled the order.
Old July 3, 2001, 07:42 AM   #12
Bartholomew Roberts

I haven't had the horror story experience that some people are claiming; just bad service. Ordered a common item (LC-2 web gear) with UPS Red shipping in order to get it in time for a class.

Didn't get it in time for the class, and in fact didn't hear anything from Botach until 14 days later when they finally got around to sending me an email indicating they were out of stock and didn't know when they could ship the item.

I cancelled the order and never heard another word from them. Personally, most of the places I've found on the web have much better service than that. Wonderful prices don't do me any good if I can't get my hands on the product and I don't need any extra frsutration in my life so I choose to avoid Botach.
Old July 3, 2001, 08:43 AM   #13
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

Here's one that you should read from TFL's search:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ghlight=botach

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ghlight=botach

From Glock Talk:

http://glocktalk.com/docs/gtubb/Foru...ML/015753.html

http://glocktalk.com/docs/gtubb/Foru...ML/020637.html

Better Business Bureau Rating:

Quote:
Based on our standards, we rate this company as having an unsatisfactory business record. An unsatisfactory rating is given when a pattern in the company's customer complaints causes us concern, when the company does not respond to complaints, or when it will not substantiate its advertising claims. In this case, our complaint history for this company shows that although the business has responded to some customer complaints brought to its attention by the Bureau, others remain unanswered. A Better Business Bureau report is based on our file information and experience with an individual company over the past three years. The Bureau does not endorse, recommend, or disapprove of any company, product or service.
http://www.bbbsouthland.org/howtoreport.html
Old July 3, 2001, 05:31 PM   #14
CSOs ROCK

I would suggest using Botach as a bargaining chip with some of the online stores that'll beat any lower prices. It's worked for me thus far.
Old July 3, 2001, 05:58 PM   #15
hipwr40

CSOs ROCK....good point, I'll have to do that as well.
Old July 4, 2001, 10:44 AM   #16
PVerdieck

I have had 0 problems with 3 orders.

Another place for scope stuff, with great prices is SWFA. This where I look first.

http://www.swfa.com/
Old July 4, 2001, 01:38 PM   #17
Incursion

They've screwed up two of my orders.
Old July 5, 2001, 09:37 PM   #18
swsurgeon

For several years I used to walk in to Botach and work with them on a cash-and-carry basis. If there was any problem, I was able to immediately work it out with BK, the owner. Unfortunately, they changed their entire system and no longer allow walk-ins, except on government contracts. It has made it much more difficult to deal with them. Hopefully they will eventually straighten the problems out and render consistent service.

swsurgeon
Old July 5, 2001, 11:40 PM   #19
norielX

Darn, and I was gonna order something, too...

It's the only place I've seen online where I can
get those Adidas GSG-9 boots. I did see them in a
catalog a few years ago, but the only place I've seen them
recently have been my 12" SWAT guys from 21st Century Toys.
Old July 6, 2001, 12:40 AM   #20
Morgan

Today I received my first order from Botach, totalling some $215 of merchandise. I ordered online, and received my order correctly and quickly. Damn good prices, too.
Old July 9, 2001, 08:34 AM   #21
LIProgun

My two cents:

I placed one small order that was no problem. The second, considerably larger order, was botched, and the "customer service" staff I dealt with were simply clueless. It took numerous calls to straighten out the matter, which included incorrect merchandise sent, an attempt to charge me a price increase that took place between the time I ordered and shipment, and disputes over who should pay the shipping fees for the incorrect merchandise they sent me, and I had to return.

My bottom line: Prices are great; service is iffy.

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.
Old July 9, 2001, 12:07 PM   #22
4V50 Gary
Staff

Good topic...moving to General Discussion. Hang onto your hats.
Old July 9, 2001, 12:14 PM   #23
CWL

Never had any problems with them. I do first call to make sure that they have everything in stock before I order. They do have the best prices. Just ordered an A.R.M.S. mount, hope it shows up.
Old July 9, 2001, 01:13 PM   #24
EricM

Their service is extremely hit and miss. Verify the item is in stock before ordering.