The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 5, 2000, 04:25 PM   #1
Grapeshot

Since I haven't seen any reviews yet, has anybody shot one of these? I always wanted one and now they're out again, but I don't know about their quality.
Old August 5, 2000, 09:06 PM   #2
NiteSite

Probably too early for a printed review/experience report. You might raise this question on www.sixgunner.com also - there are a few professionals there also. From what I know, this would be an "iffy" choice. Excellent concept...but still "iffy".
Old August 6, 2000, 10:37 AM   #3
Grapeshot

Thanks NiteSite. I was just hoping to hear that they had improved the quality this time, but that's probably too much to ask. Looks like I'm the only one who likes bigbore snubbies around here. It's rough being a sixgunner in a semi-automatic world.
Old August 6, 2000, 10:24 PM   #4
John Marshall

Grapeshot:

If you're looking for big bore snubbies, why not take a look at the Taurus M445 in .44Spl or M450 in .45Colt? I would consider either one superior to the Rossi Bulldog.

I know Taurus has suffered from rumors of poor QC for some time but these stories, IMHO, are just that, rumors. And their Customer Service is better than most.

Of course, if you're looking for a snubby .44Mag, you're on your own.

------------------
If you're not a little upset with the way the world is going, you're not paying attention.
Old August 6, 2000, 11:12 PM   #5
Gunslinger

I got the big bore snubby bug recently. It was not be design but rather by circumstance.
Several years ago I loaned my mother a Smith model 29 8.375", which she left in the pick up seat where it got Coke a Cola spilled on it. A few days later when it was discovered the finish was ruined.
A couple of months ago when bored I was looking at the ruined Smith, the grinder and the fact that I had too few projects underway and decided to do something about three.
The results are a Smith model 29 with a round butt, bobbed hammer, narrowed trigger and guard, bevelled cylinder and 1.625" heavy barrel with custom finger groove walnut grips.
Granted it is not a Charter Arms Bulldog but it serves to demonstrate that I to am a fan of the big bore snubby.

------------------
Gunslinger
Old August 7, 2000, 08:42 AM   #6
Yanus

Grapeshot, I am also a bigbore snubbie fan. I have a Smith M696 I bought before the current unpleasantness and I love it. I wish Ruger would offer their SP101 in 44spl. I bet they could sell'em like hotcakes! The nice thing about large calibres is you don't have to worry about bullet expansion. All you really need is a good hard lead SWC driven at 800fps or better to get the job done.

------------------
Never do an enemy a minor injury. Machiavelli
"Stay alive with a 45"
Old August 7, 2000, 03:48 PM   #7
C.R.Sam

I recently got a used 696, it was adopted by my other snubbies and seems quite happy.

Sam...my mouse gun is a 9X32R
Old August 7, 2000, 07:20 PM   #8
Grapeshot

Yeah, I have a 696 which I absolutely adore ... but there's just something alluring about an even SMALLER .44 like the Bulldog. As for Taurus big-bore snubbies, I have been flirting with the idea but have had a few crappy Tauruses and am half afraid to get another. I'm sure I'll end up with one sooner or later.
Why the heck doesn't Ruger make a .44 snubbie, anyway?
Old August 7, 2000, 09:02 PM   #9
Laz

I suspect that the geometry of the five shot SP-101 would not allow five of the larger .44 special rounds to fit which would mean Ruger would have to make a five shot GP-100 which would be nice but, like the 696, would be on the large side. Ruger doesn't really have a "K" frame. Still...it would be nice.

------------------
Lazarus
Old August 8, 2000, 02:16 AM   #10
Torpedo

Charter arms in Connecticut is making the .44 Bulldog again. Go to: www.charterarms.com I have one of the original bulldogs and I love it. Jut my 2 cents worth.

------------------
***Torpedo***
It's a good life if you can survive it!
Old August 8, 2000, 02:18 AM   #11
Torpedo

Sorry the URL should be: www.charterfirearms.com

------------------
***Torpedo***
It's a good life if you can survive it!