The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 15, 2001, 02:34 AM   #1
Nightcrawler

Trajectory Calculator?

There's a great Muzzle Energy Calculator available at http://zvis.com/bali/bvtengy.shtml . You just plug in the velocity and the bullet weight and you're all set.

Is there an online calculator that will allow you to calculate bullet trajectory? Preferably one where you'd just plug in the bullet diameter, the weight, and the muzzle velocity. I know that it wouldn't be extremely accurate (simply put, a pointy bullet is more aerodynamic and will maintain velocity better than a blunt one), but it would be able to maybe give you a rough idea.

Can anyone help?
Old November 15, 2001, 02:42 AM   #2
Caeca Invidia Es
Staff Alumnus

I could probably make one if someone could give me the necessary calculations for it.

I don't approve of political jokes, I've seen too many of them get elected.
Old November 15, 2001, 04:08 AM   #3
Hal

dubba dubba dubba dot google dot com

www.google.com

bullet drop calculator

lotsa links

here's one with a few you can download

http://stevespages.com/page8b.htm
Old November 15, 2001, 09:17 AM   #4
FIRE!

Go to www.huntingnut.com and get the FREE software. It is quite detailed.
Old November 15, 2001, 05:08 PM   #5
Nightcrawler

How does one calculate the ballistic coefficient?
Old November 15, 2001, 08:00 PM   #6
Hal

www.google.com

ballistic coefficient

The math to figure it out is pretty much beyond my level, sorry. Since I'm not a rifle shooter, I seldom use BC's for working up loads. Everything I need to know about BC is either published or an "educated guess". BC seldom if ever comes into play at the ranges I usually shoot at. (50 yards and under). Matter of fact, in the last 5 years the only time BC has been a factor for me was here at TFL in a thread about a .44mag vs a .30/30. Both are about equal in terms of energy out to 100 yards or so. The .30/30 has a better BC, and therefore is a better choice out beyond 100 yards,,,,,or so the discussion went. For the rough idea type figures you have in mind, matching up the bullet you using to something similar should work fine. If all else fails, you can always choose 5 arbiitrary numbers as a BC based on the available data, plug them in and see which one comes closest to what you expect. That way you can build your own BC for say, a cast lead bullet you buy at a gun show. If your shooting commercial ammunition, the bullet mfg usually has the BC pubished. Even if you don't reload, a Hornady or Speer reloading manual has a treasure trove of info.

I'm just thankful you didn't ask about overbore
Old November 15, 2001, 11:41 PM   #7
Destructo6

Norma has a good Java based version. It lets you use pre-defined cartridges or you can roll your own.

http://www.norma.cc/htm_files/javapagee.htm
Old November 16, 2001, 02:47 PM   #8
JimDiver

I would like to see one for Palm OS....
Old November 16, 2001, 10:49 PM   #9
Coronach

They have one. I just saw it online a few weeks ago.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein