The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 29, 2001, 06:13 PM   #1
larry408

Marlin Camp 9

I bought a Marlin Model 9 at the last Astrohall gun show. I bought it to go with my
9mm pistols. What is the opinion of this carbine?
Old November 29, 2001, 10:42 PM   #2
ohen cepel

Good fast handling and firing rifle. Fun to shoot.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old November 29, 2001, 11:15 PM   #3
Ledbetter

Got one in .45

Great gun. I put a Trijicon Reflex sight on mine and it's my house carbine. Too bad they don't make them anymore.

Enjoy.
Old November 30, 2001, 01:44 AM   #4
provalov

NOW you're talking! That's my current favorite shootin' arm. Bought it for the same reason you did -- it takes the same pre-ban hi-cap mags my HS2000 pistol uses. (You may know this already, but the Camp 9 will take S&W 59 Series Hi-cap mags.)

If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay?
Old November 30, 2001, 11:58 AM   #5
longship

Can anyone tell me how the camp 9 functions compared to a Ruger PC9? I'm not just talking about reliability, ease of cleaning, but also technically how it functions. Ruger's version is a blowback design I hear. Anyway, your input would be most appreciated.

Bruce
Old November 30, 2001, 12:55 PM   #6
Chad Young

The Marlin Camp Carbine is a conventional blowback design rated for standard (not +P, +P+, or NATO) level ammunition. It is very accurate and can be mounted with sights easily (use sight bases for the Marlin 336 rifle). As you noted, it takes S&W 5900 series mags. I have also used 6900 series mags. The rifle was never a great seller, which is why production ceased on these rifles.

The Ruger PC9 is also blowback, but does have a heavier mass-delay action. This allows you to use +P, +P+, and NATO ammo in a PC9. The PC9 also takes Ruger P85/89/95 series mags, which are cheap and plentiful in their standard-capacity form.

From personal experience, I can give you a comparison of each.

1. Both are a pain in the a$$ to strip and clean, with the Ruger being slightly easier to clean.
2. Both have decent, not great, triggers. I would give Ruger a lsight edge in this department.
3. The Ruger has integral grooves for Ruger's own scope bases. The Camp Carbine has none, but can accept Marlin 336 scope mounts.
4. Marlin has a Micro Groove barrel in it, so shooting lead is a messy proposition. It is VERY accurate, though! The Ruger PC9 is conventionally rifled.
5. The Ruger is heavy, due to the mass of its heavier blowback mechanism (it is almost as large as the slide on a P-series pistol!). The Marlin is significantly lighter due to its lighter blowback mechanism (looks more like the breechblock of a .22). Both are handy and compact.

Summary:
Ruger - heavier, costs more, but is more rugged and can shoot hot ammo. Still in production.
Marlin - lighter, cheaper- when you can find them; cannot shoot +P ammo.

I have shot and liked both. For plinking, a used Camp Carbine is a good deal. If I needed something more rugged for serious use, I'd go for the PC9.
Old November 30, 2001, 01:04 PM   #7
Ledbetter

A word on the Marlin Model 45 Camp Carbine

This gun is the same design as the Model 9 and they fit in the same stock. An aftermarket folding stock by Choate is available, but not legal for post ban guns.

The model 45 takes standard 1911 magazines. It's straight blowback operated bolt weighs a whopping 15 ounces. I have found that the micro groove rifling takes a little extra time to clean thoroughly, but the gun is far more accurate than you'd expect out to 75 yards or so. Bullet drop at 100 yards is about 6-8 inches.

They like to be kept clean. Here's a website

http://members.aol.com/fourn6/camp9.html

Regards.

Last edited by Ledbetter; November 30, 2001 at 01:37 PM.
Old November 30, 2001, 03:35 PM   #8
provalov

Although I have heard from several folks that +p is not acceptable for the Camp 9, when I took the time to check the owner's manual, it only warned against +p+, not +p.
Old November 16, 2005, 05:56 PM   #9
Para Bellum

Marlin Camp 9: still/again in production?

I know this thread is rather old, but: Is the Camp 9 or a smiliar rifle still in production (maybe by another company)?

All I found is this Ruger PC9GR
Old November 17, 2005, 07:10 PM   #10
Omaha-BeenGlockin

The Ruger runs cleaner too----back in the 80's---a buddy of mine had a Camp 9---that thing would be cruddy and gummed up after a box or so -----while a PC9 won't hardly show any signs that its even been shot.
-------Metallica
Old November 17, 2005, 07:22 PM   #11
Dave Markowitz

PB,

The Marlin went out of production several years ago. The gun most similar to it that's still newly made is the Ruger PC-9.
Old November 17, 2005, 07:55 PM   #12
Ledbetter

But there are more choices now than just the Ruger and the Marlin. Kel-Tec and some others, including European guns. Good luck.

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life