The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 21, 2002, 02:03 PM   #1
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

How do you carry Kahr magazines?

Seems that the first round or two always slip right out of the magazine if it is inserted all the way into a magazine pouch. Has anyone figured out a solution that would keep the mag from dislodging the top cartridge?
Old February 21, 2002, 02:44 PM   #2
Navy joe

That little 5th pocket on my jeans works perfectly.
Old February 21, 2002, 02:50 PM   #3
dsk

Kahr REALLY needs to put a small dimple in the side of the mag to keep the top round from popping out. I believe some S&W mags have that as well.
Old February 21, 2002, 02:51 PM   #4
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Can you post a picture of the S&W magazine? That problem seems to be the one drawback to the otherwise excellent gun.
Old February 21, 2002, 03:18 PM   #5
Onslaught

I noticed that problem with my MK40 mags, but my P40 mags don't do that at all. I don't think my wife's MK9 does it either.... Wierd.

But since you asked... I found a clip-on nylon mag carrier from CDNN Investments for $3.95... (I looked on the website, it's not there). It was in the catalog as being for "double stacked mags" but my Glock 19 & USP40 mags won't even come close to fitting.

I took off the metal clip, and it now fits horizontally on my belt using the web loop area the clip came out of. It's open ended, but the Kahr mag fits perfectly in there with just enough tension not to slide out unless pulled. It also works as a pocket mag holder, since it's so very slim.
Old February 21, 2002, 03:24 PM   #6
KSFreeman

Recent convert to Moonie gun here. Carry P9 as back up gun and one spare mag.

No problems with mine, but I carry in mag pouch from Milt Sparks. What kind of pouch are you carrying in???
Old February 21, 2002, 04:12 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

When I carry my K9, I usually carry it in a fannypack holster. The holster has a separate loop into which a spare magazine fits.

I've never had a problem with the rounds popping out.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 21, 2002, 08:26 PM   #8
shooter1201

My first MK9 and an early P9's mags would ALWAYS pop the first 1-2 rounds out....regardless of how they were carried. Latest K9 doesn't seem to have that problem.
Old February 21, 2002, 09:19 PM   #9
7th Fleet

My new K9 is less than a week old and my mags don't pop the rounds out like that. I paid $387.00 out the door for my K9, new in the box with a spare magazine is that a pretty decent price for this pistol? I was amazed at how accurate the little gun is and I love the trigger pull. I'm presently using mine as an off duty gun and when I get it broke in I may start carrying it on duty. It has never failed to function in over 100 rounds of our duty load, of the Federal 9BPLE +P+ 115 JHP.

7th
Old February 21, 2002, 09:36 PM   #10
DaHaMac

hehehe, I use a Buck Knife Sheath as a mag carrier for the extra MK40 mag. Slides into a spare pocket easily, or I can wear it on my belt and look like any other Redneck round these parts wearing a knife on their pants
Old February 22, 2002, 12:03 AM   #11
Navy joe

Well, whadda ya know! Read something on TFL and it happens. My previously reliable 5th pocket carry is debunked, I stood up tonight after sitting for several hours and Sproing! out pops the top round! Hmmm, back to the drawing board.
Old February 22, 2002, 11:35 AM   #12
KSFreeman

Ahoy, Navy joe, arrrrrr. Have the bosuns lash that magazine down on the port midships in a mag pouch. Arrrrrr. (smilie face with eyepatch, earring, and parrot--"Squawk, buy good gear, squawk").
Old February 22, 2002, 11:40 AM   #13
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

I called Kahr. The guy in tech support said "You got three bad magazines. Where would you like three good magazines sent?" I hope that the mags arrive when promised (2-3 weeks). I have a Kahr P9 vs. Glock 26 review illustrated and almost ready to go...would like to include this detail.
Old February 22, 2002, 01:17 PM   #14
Indy_SIG

I've been carrying an extra MK9 mag for over a year and haven't had a round "pop out" of the mag once.

IMHO, it's most likely the way you're carrying it.
Old February 22, 2002, 01:29 PM   #15
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

If I take any of my three P9 magazines and drop it on a soft bed from 3 inch height, the top round or two will pop out and end up somewhere on the floor. Betty's K40 mags don't do that. Something is wrong with them and I hope that replacement mags would work better.