The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 20, 2000, 06:42 AM   #1
Jhp147

After looking at what folks here have to say, I have decided I need some ProEars, the heavy duty kind. Every place I look seems to list them at the same full retail. Anybody know where I can buy these the cheapest?

------------------
When the wicked spring as the grass, and when all the workers of iniquity do flourish; IT IS that they shall be destroyed forever...Psalms 92.7
Old April 20, 2000, 04:27 PM   #2
Arnistador

ProEars are pretty much the same price everywhere you look. The best thing to do is find a distributor/dealer that will include shipping with your purchase. Don't worry, they are worth every penny.

Tim
http://www.streetpro.com
Street Smart Professional Equipment
Old April 21, 2000, 12:27 PM   #3
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

You might want to check out
www.dillonprecision.com

They have some new headsets that cut out the high volume sounds without cutting out completely. Makes it easier to converse at the range. They're called Dillon HP-1. Here's the exact link:
http://www.dillonprecision.com/templ...7&min=0&dyn=1&

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited April 21, 2000).]
Old April 21, 2000, 09:26 PM   #4
Ice Man

Arnistador-
re: your statement that the ProEars are worth every penny, I was wondering if you have any wisdom or experience to share on the Gentex 1030A "Wolf Ears"?
Thanks
Old April 22, 2000, 12:10 AM   #5
VictorLouis

I work 5 minutes from Dillon. I stopped in the other day and began musing the electronic muffs. I walked out with the HP-1!
The "dampening" effect was clearly demo'ed for me in their pro-shop. It's much better than the circuitry which "cuts" the sound. That is, you can still hear the conversation whilst the shot noise is muffled safely. These would be just the ticket if you heard an intrusion into your home, and you had time to prepare. The amplification is great, and in stereo too!
I will be trying them out on Monday. Happy Easter everyone.
Old April 22, 2000, 06:31 AM   #6
Jhp147

Thank you all for posted and e-mail replies. I shoot a lot indoors and like the idea of NRR28 Pro-Ears Magnums, having studied several threads here. I may give the Dillon a second look. I wanted to get around doing plugs and muffs, but I don't know now. Please comment on the Dillons when you can. Someone else pointed out that ProEars has a much longer guarantee, etc.
Old May 2, 2000, 09:40 PM   #7
jthuang

Lagger Pro sells them for a bit under retail and includes free shipping too. Web site at http://www.lagger-pro.com

I have a pair of Pro Ears (Sporting Clays Model). If you shoot indoors a lot, get a better NRR rating than the SC model because it's not enough, IMHO. I have to use plugs and the muffs indoors.

I'd look hard at Dillon's new model -- too bad I had purchased my Pro Ears already!

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old May 2, 2000, 09:51 PM   #8
shamster

I have a set of the Wolf Ears, and they are great. The Pro Ears Magnums has a higher NRR rating I think. Supposedly, the Wolf Ears are supposed to be the best for "binaural" hearing (for directional hearing in tactical situations). I don't have any experience with the Pro Ears, so I can't really comment on those.
With the Wolf Ears, I have a little enhanced hearing with small sounds, and can tell exactly which direction they're from. That, and the gunshots all get muffled.
I still double plug though. I would do that anyhow, regardless of what muffs I'm wearing (indoor ranges at least).
Old May 3, 2000, 01:13 PM   #9
Joe D

The Pro-Ears Pro-Mags are heavy. I had some for a while but sold them. For outdoor shooting I like the Pro-Ears Sporting Clays. The Mags weigh 14.9 oz. vs 8.4 oz. for the Clays. The NRR is 28 vs 20. For indoor I just plug and turn the volume up. Brownells has the Mags for $142 if you are set up as a dealer or gunsmith.