The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 1, 2000, 11:09 AM   #1
Gremlin

I guess I'm gonna break down and buy me one of those plastic guns. I've held out forever but now am thinking that if I want to add a .40 to my lineup, I'll try one of these new fangled guns.

In automatics, I already own 9mm compact, a 9mm full size, a .45 compact, a .45 1911 full size, and a .380 in stainless. In revolvers, I've got a full complement. In long guns, there's the general assortment of shot guns and rifles.

What I lack is a .40 cal. I've owned a Ruger KP94 and enjoyed the caliber, I just thought that the gun was ugly and bulky and heavy.

I really don't want a compact model--I thought that was the point of the polymer: to let a man carry a full size gun without being weighed down so heavily...

In forties, I've been looking at:

1) H&K USP full size--great feel, precise mechanics, love that safety.

2) CZ-100--seemed tiny, thought it would recoil to heavily.

3) Glock 22--even uglier than the Ruger and would somebody explain the need for that funky trigger with the extra lever?

4) SigPro 2340--feels good, but like the CZ, seems a little small for a .40 cal.

5) Smith & Wesson Sigma SW40VE--felt good and seemed to be a good value for the money. I noticed that the slide didn't want to return to full battery without a nudge.

6) S&W 99--great feeling gun loaded with bells and whistles; I wondered if all the bells and whistles were prone to breakage and failure.

7) Walther P99--ditto the S&W

8) Steyr M40--didn't feel all that good in my hand but seemed to be a decent weapon.

Did I miss one that I ought to consider? I'd really like to buy something for $600 or less. I'm an experienced shooter (just not a particularly good shot although it's not for lack of practice) and want a gun that I won't feel like trading in on something else in a couple months.

Thanks!

------------------
Life is far too short to spend it with an ugly gun...
Old May 1, 2000, 11:28 AM   #2
Incursion

SIG 229?
Old May 1, 2000, 11:34 AM   #3
VictorLouis

I took a chance on the CZ and am pretty pleased. The recoil is quite manageable due to the excellent grip design, and no doubt the porting also. My only sore point is the serrations on the trigger, which I will rectify myself.
In spite of that, the accuracy seems top notch, and I've had no problems in over 300 rounds. I do ride the slide stop to some extent; but, it's my grip, not the gun. If you can handle the l o n g DAO trigger, it's a good buy, IMO.
Old May 1, 2000, 11:45 AM   #4
funinsun

H&K USP!!!

*Oustanding accuracy/reliability
*Great safety/decocker
*low reciol/double buffer system
*throw on some nite sights and you are done!!!!!!!!
* I don't think anybody can deny that the H&K USP is one helluva gun!!!!!!!!

I own one in .40 and its a great weapon,I carry it daily.
Old May 1, 2000, 12:09 PM   #5
Mike Hotel

AGREED. H&K USP40 Hands down WINNER!

Spend the money and do it! I have both, the USP40 and the Glock 22 and there is NO comparison. None!
Old May 1, 2000, 12:30 PM   #6
PLASTIC SIG

As you can see from my name I love my plastic sig. Dont let anyone tell you any diffrent. This is a Sig. And just like every other sig, it is a superior weapon. I looked into all the options (as you are) and I came out with the sig 2340. Its a fantastic piece and can be converted to 357 sig within seconds. Simply drop in the 357 barrel and shoot away. The mags are designed for 40/357. It also has an option to change grips in a matter of seconds. Simply drop the magazine, push the release and remove the grip. No tools needed.

It shoots as good as any sig and is much cheaper in price. I love mine, no problems,shoots any ammo i feed it, accurate as hell, and is at least $100 cheaper than the HK. Not that I dont love the HK as well. But for my money the sig came in 1ST !

Tim : )

------------------
Why dont you get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a glock. :::Tommy Lee Jones:::
Old May 1, 2000, 03:41 PM   #7
Hemphill

I have both a HK-USP40 and Glock 22. If I had it to do over again, it would be two Glock 22. I prefer the simple manual of arms, and great feel of the Glock. I like my glock so much more thanthe USP that I dropped it off my CCW and put my Glock on.
But as you can tell by Mike Hotel's reply, what you will like is a very personal thing.
Old May 1, 2000, 03:51 PM   #8
Ben

Unfortunately, price is an issue for me. This is the order I find most reasonable:

1st choice: Glock 22 (I'd get the 23)
2nd: Sig Pro (both of which are under $500)
3rd: Heritage Stealth: ($300 compact 10 rounder)
4th: HK (Tommy Hillfiger of guns... overpriced, fashionable but too much $)
5th: S&W 99... overpriced Sigma (I'd get the Walther P99 instead)

... and the Kahr's don't hold enought rounds to justify their high price IMO,
Ben

------------------
Almost Online IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

[This message has been edited by Ben (edited May 01, 2000).]
Old May 1, 2000, 03:58 PM   #9
GregM

I may get ridiculed for even posting this, but I have a S&W sigma in .40 and so far I love it. I was very wary of the sigma because of all the horror stories about them, but I appear to have a pretty good one. It recoils about the same as my Beretta 92 in 9mm, fits my hand much better than my Glock, and best of all, I bought it for <$300 with night sights in 98+ condition! Preban mags are around $40 for it too!

Greg
Old May 1, 2000, 05:39 PM   #10
Rob96

I am not here to say the G22 is the best, just that I preferred it over the H&K when I did side by side comparison shopping. After having made my choice I have never looked back.
Old May 1, 2000, 06:19 PM   #11
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Greetings, How about a Sig P226 in .40?

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old May 1, 2000, 07:08 PM   #12
The Silver Bullet 1719

Glock 23 is what I'd recommend, it is exactly like the 22, but a little smaller. You may think Glocks look ugly, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Glocks are world known for their relibility. H&K are great, but way too much $$, S&W I just can't respect these days, Walther, like the H&K is way too much $$. Heard SigPros are not that good...(Just HEARD that not sure if it is true). And I don't know about CZ. I hope this info has been informative.

------------------
Trespassers Will Be Shot
Survivors Will Be Shot Again
Old May 1, 2000, 07:15 PM   #13
branrot

Ala Dan and Incursion: the Sig 226 and 229 are not polymer framed. I think that those of you suggesting them are probably referring to the Sig-Pro.

Gremlin, don't go knocking the aesthetics of the Glock. Trust me, a year after owning it you will think it is the coolest looking guns made. Have you looked at the S&W Sigma or the Steyr M series lately? Yuck!

Anyway, I have a Glock 23 and a Walther P99 (in 9mm). I have also shot my friend's HK USP compact .40 extensively. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Buy what feels good. The full sized Glock 22 holds more rounds (15) than the HK .40 (13) or the P99 .40 (12), if hi-caps are an issue.
Old May 1, 2000, 08:22 PM   #14
PLASTIC SIG

Get the Sig !

Of course im going to tell you that. Being that mine has never failed to fire,rusted,stovepiped,broken,etc.

You hear alot about failure to fire's because of magazines. My question is, who wants to spend $500 on a gun then spend a bunch more on mags? Who wants to ship their gun back to the manufacturer because of issues that cant be corrected by the user?

Do yourself a favor. Spend the extra and get a top contender. Glocks and Sigs are A-1 weapons. Buy either one and if you arent satisfied, Ill buy it back from you !

Tim

------------------
Why dont you get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a glock. :::Tommy Lee Jones:::
Old May 1, 2000, 08:25 PM   #15
Incursion

damn I forgot that you were looking for a polymer gun. disregard my stupid post.
Old May 1, 2000, 09:41 PM   #16
Jankord

I have the SW99 and love it. It is extremely accurate and one of the best feeling handguns. They provide you with three different grips to fit your hand. I have fired mine over 1,000 times without a single misfire or malfunction.

And for the people who say skip the SW99 and go with the Walther... Most of them don't know what they are talking about. The SW99 in .40Cal is much more reliable than the same Walther P99 model. That's why Walther is changing the design to match the SW99 exactly. Go with the SW99! It's a great gun and you'll love it!

Joe
Old May 1, 2000, 10:00 PM   #17
branrot

Incursion: Disregarded!
Old May 1, 2000, 10:03 PM   #18
branrot

Jankord: I'm one of those Walther fans. I have a P99 in 9mm. Not to knock the Smith & Wesson, I just thought they were the same thought the Walther looked and felt better (and of course the Bond thing). What makes the Smith better?
Old May 2, 2000, 04:31 AM   #19
Siggy

Do not forget that the SigPro comes with 2 grips 1 small 1 large. I use the larger grips due to ape hands but I love mine.
Old May 2, 2000, 09:38 AM   #20
Gary H

I have Glock and the Sig Pro. I like Glock's trigger. I never warmed up to a single/double action. I own both the G21 and the G33. I prefer the Sig .357 to the .40. The full size Glocks are rather large for carry, but definitely better handling than their small brothers.
Gary
Old May 2, 2000, 09:49 AM   #21
twoblink

Gremlin, you have NO idea how much research I have done. I too am looking for a .40 in a polymer.

My initial conclusions were: (in order)

1) Sig Pro
2) Glock 23
3) HK USP 40

Why:
1) The Sig Pro, well is a) a sig b) cheap compared to the P series c) changable grip d) the beefy slide and parts e) Fully supported chamber f) Superior trigger feel.
2) Glock 23, a) Simplicity b) Glock proven durability, reliability c) ease of use d) price
3) HK USP 40, Cocked and Locked, better trigger feel than Glock, Durable, accurate.

Why Not:
1) Sig Pro. a) It felt really cheap in my hands. b) not as well balanced as the P series. c) Still can't get past the "It's really not a Sig" mental stigma. Hasn't proven to me as far as durability. Parts availability. d) Sig doesn't have a good track record of durable finishes.
2) Glock 23. a) Unsupported chamber. b) Not as accurate as HK or Sig. c) No external safety if I want one as a choice d) spongy trigger e) not as ergonomically correct as the Sigs (by a long shot)
3) HK USP 40 a) Bulky b) Cocked and Locked is yet another thing to fumble with when you have to use the gun in an emergency c) Finish is not as durable as the Tenifer.

Don't get me wrong, and don't bash me. This is the conclusion from my own research. All 3 guns are great guns, and I would trust my life with any of them. I mean, to even make it to my list of choices meant that these were superior guns.

In the end, I was leaning towards the Glock. My only issue is that in the .40, the Glock chamber is not fully supported. And while Glock owners will tell you that (It's not an issue) it is if it's my hand that might get a case failure on upwards of a kb!. This is especially true in the .40, the 9mm and .357Sigs all have supported chambers, but not the .40. So I would buy a Glock but for the fully supported chamber and spongy trigger. They say that I can get a new barrel from BarSto that is fully supported, but then that would put me in the price range of a Sig, and then why wouldn't I do that? They also say that I can shine down the internal trigger parts and make it a lot smoother.

Then, I saw the Steyr M40. It's more Glock than a Glock.

Glock advantages: 1) Tenifer Finish 2) Trigger as the only "item" to worry about 3) 3 safeties 4) low bore axis 5) Simplicity of operation and use. 6) Durability.

Steyr advantages: Everything the Glock has 1) Tenifer finish 2) Trigger as the only item to worry about 3) 3 safeties 4) low bore axis 5) Simplicity of operation and use 6) durability.

Advantages of a Steyr over a Glock:
1) Fully supported chamber. 2) External safety if you choose to use it 3) a Lockdown storage safety, making the safety count up to 5 compared to Glock's 3. 4) Superior trigger feel, crisp and clean, not spongy 5) Triangular and trapazoid sights that lead your eyes to the target 6) the seen and felt loaded chamber indicator. 7) Even lower bore axis which should reduce muzzle flip, increased accuracy, and allow reaquisition of target faster. 8) Shoots lead.

So from a "statistical point of view", I think the Steyr is superior. I'm waiting for a local range to have one for me to try. Or else I might break down and buy it before I try it... The other reason I'm waiting is that I'm thinking I might wait for the Steyr M357. The only reason I saw since the intro of the 357Sig, to even own a .40 is ammo cost and availability. In my mind, the .357Sig deprecates the .40 caliber. Also, since both are so close, the ability to drop in a chamber and go from one to the other is a great thing.

So might I suggest looking at the Steyr M40 again? I also found it to be more comfortable than the Glock. I found it to be superior in the cost/benefit ratio department.

Last comment, buy the one that's most comfortable in your hands. That's the most important part.

Happy shooting. Let us know what you get.
Albert
Old May 2, 2000, 09:59 AM   #22
panzerfuehrer

You should heft and fire as many as possible before arriving at a decision. It will boil down to what works for you, rather than what everyone tells you.

But, since you ask......

I have had my SW99 for about 8 months, and around 2K rounds with nary a problem.

I looked at the the Walther P99, and it is virtually identical - the interchangeable backstraps are a great feature on either weapon.

But, the SW99 had some features I liked better, e.g., rounded trigger guard and coarser slide serrations, as well as about $100 less price tag that tipped the balance. IMO, the CW price tag is for the name tag. Your weapon would also be serviced by S&W anyway.

In short, I carry it everyday, and therefore trust it. What better testimony?

------------------
Panzerführer

Die Wahrheit ist eine Perle. Werfen sie nicht vor die Säue.

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't.
Old May 2, 2000, 10:30 AM   #23
houndawg

I held a Steyr in the gunshop. It's a nice pistol. The only thing I don't like is the backstrap. It helps out with my trigger finger, but it also pushes uncomfortably into the meaty part of my palm. If I can find one to shoot, I might like it better.
Old May 2, 2000, 11:14 AM   #24
Richard

You owe it to yourself to look at a Browning High-Power 40 S&W. It is the best 40 I own. If I had to have a plastic pistol; I would go with the Glock 27 and never look back. This little handgun is that good. It can do anything a full sized 40 S&W can do with less bulk. Regards, Richard.
Old May 2, 2000, 12:27 PM   #25
TaxPhd

None of those choices are the best. Look at an STI Edge or an SVI Infinity. Clearly superior pistols. However, in the price range that you mention, get the G22 and some hi cap mags.