The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 1, 2002, 08:03 AM   #1
automainea

cci ammo?

how is the cci alum. case ammo for feeding and reliability in 1911 45s? have found it to be cheaper than the rest but know nothing about it thanks
Old February 1, 2002, 08:22 AM   #2
Gopher

I've shot in a SA and a Taurus PT945 with no problems at all. My Glock 30 doesnt care for it though. It's good stuff in any caliber IMHO.
Old February 1, 2002, 08:27 AM   #3
Mark IV Series 80

Blazer will not feed more than two in a row without a failure to feed in my Govt. Model.

Also, I hear that it's dirty.

I use mostly Speer Lawman or Federal American Eagle hardball.
Old February 1, 2002, 08:47 AM   #4
Kirk Keller

It can be

a bit dirty and I've had one or two flyers per box. Otherwise, it's typically what I use for range ammo and I've had pretty good luck with it.
Old February 1, 2002, 12:07 PM   #5
RenegadeX

Can't help on the 1911, but it feeds flawlessly in G21, HK USP Tactical and Mark 23.
Old February 1, 2002, 01:27 PM   #6
longeyes

I have fired about six hundred rounds of Blazer fmj from my Colt Sistema without a malf, more from my Glocks (.45 & 9mm). I'm sold on the stuff.
"Ah...what trouble?" ~Jeremiah Johnson
Old February 1, 2002, 10:39 PM   #7
gryphon

I almost exclusively use the Blazer ammo in my 1911 and Hi Power. I actually find it cleaner than the Remington UMC and Winchester white box ammo. In OH, it is actually cheaper than the above mentioned ammo and what I can find online.

As mentioned previously, I do tend to get a flyer or two from tiem to time, but as far as range ammo goes, I highly recommend it. The aluminum cases dojn't bother me, I don't reload.
Old February 2, 2002, 05:18 PM   #8
Double Naught Spy

In the last year, I have been through about 12,000 rounds of Blazer .45 acp ammo in three guns, a Wilson CQB (most of the rounds), Wilson CQB Compacts, and Kimber Stainless Target. I have had 4 ammo-related problems, two rounds that were out of spec and would not chamber and two that the primer failed to ignite the round. The failure rate is quite low, but I still don't carry it or suggest carrying it as defense ammo.

I find that it is cleaner that Remington UMC and S&B.

Whether or not a particular gun will take a particular ammo is often due to the gun and its preferences. That being said, not all ammo is loaded the same. I read somewhere that S&B runs a little long (I think) and that seems to cause some people problems. A friend of my has a Colt Gold Cup that does not like to feed Winchester white box 185 flat nose, but does fine with most other ammo.

As noted by gryphon, it is great range ammo. In fact, I find that it recoils similarly to my carry ammo, so it makes for a good practice ammo such that when I shoot my carry ammo, there is no big difference (unlike some reloaders who load real light so as to have less recoil, less wear and tear on the gun, but who really are not practicing with ammo that comes close to handling like their defense ammo).

From www.natchezss.com, 1000 rounds costs me about $175 inclusive of shipping charges. I don't reload either. The aluminum has no effect on the gun or its handling and so I see no reason in speding and extra $25-75 per 1000 for brass cased ammo so as to support the reload junkies.

As an amusing aside, the reload junkies have often referred to my Blazer as cheap, crappy, aluminum ammo, but it out performs what most of the guys bring to the range that they reload themselves and it does better than the locally available reloaded ammo that actually sells for more than the Blazer. I like to go to the range to shoot targets and work on gun skills, not spend time figuring out why the ammo I reloaded last night isn't working the way it is supposed to work.
Old February 2, 2002, 08:11 PM   #9
Johnny Rad

Another thumbs up for CCI Blazer

I've found CCI Blazer works great as inexpensive range ammo for my .45cal and 9mm pistols. I'm with I'm with Double Naught Spy, gryphon, longeyes and RenegadeX.
Old February 2, 2002, 09:44 PM   #10
mt_goodrich

I use it in my Glocks and my HS2000. Both .9mm.

I thought I read somewhere that the Blazer CCI was the ammo used by Glock to test out their guns.
HS 2000
S&W 4043
Remington Nylon 10c Mohawk
Daisey Red Rider BB Gun
Old February 4, 2002, 09:33 PM   #11
hunter44

In the past year, I have been thru 2000 rounds of CCI Blazer ammo in 9mm, 40 and 45 and not a single problem. My SIG, H & K, CZ and Glock all love the cheap practice ammo.
When a strong man, FULLY ARMED, guards his own house, his possessions are safe. Luke 11:21 (NIV)