The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 8, 2022, 09:56 AM   #1
Mikef262

VZ24 History

Hey guys, just picked up this VZ24. Scored it for $450 at a local milsurp store! The only issue I was able to find was a crack in the buttstock, which has since been fixed and no longer presents an issue.

I also gave it a very deep cleaning, which was desperately needed. The bore shows strong rifling and is now shiny. After cleaning some gunk out of the receiver, the bolt cycles smooth as butter!

I have fired a number of different surplus rounds through it, nearly at 300 rounds now. Romanian, Czech, FN, as well as modern PPU. At the 75 yard mark, it was shooting approximately 3 inches to the left while firing from a fixed rest. A few love taps to the front sight and that is now corrected. I was pleased with the results of the 200 yard shoot was well, though not a precision rifle by any means, still decent enough.

My question is if anyone here has the resources to give me a history lesson on it? I did google some but came out fairly empty handed. Mine has the lion crest stamp on the receiver and serial: D5315. Above it is another marking, which I am merely guessing it says, "E4-38". The dash is not present on the rifle, there is some sort of stamp in place of it that I cannot make out. The only other stamp is as follows: "Ceskoslovenska Zbrojovka, A.S, BRNO". Below it is stamped VZ24.

I am going to try my hand at uploading pictures directly to this post, if not please bare with me and I'll attach a link through imagur.
Old December 8, 2022, 02:01 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Czechoslovakia began producing Mauser pattern rifles shortly after being founded, and the Model 24 was made both for arming their own troops and to compete with FN internationally. Several nations used them.

After Nazi Germany took over Czechoslovakia they kept the Czech arms industry running and continued production of all models they felt useful, and this included the VZ 24. CZ also made some after the war, and Israel was using them in 1950....

Rifled made during the Nazi years will have a WaA Pruf mark (stylized Nazi eagle & number) though it may be small, or incomplete and difficult to recognize...

Hope this helps
Old December 8, 2022, 03:48 PM   #3
ernie8

Your rifle was Czech army issued in 1938 . It is rarer for a 24 to have the full lion crest still on it . The Germans issued many as is for the battle of France from the Czech army stock . The parts still in stock when Germany took over were built as is , then they switched to making the G-24T with German codes . In 1942 the production was switched to regular K-98k rifles .
Old December 8, 2022, 07:27 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

I found one source that said in 1940 11 divisions of the German Army were armed with Czech made rifles. They also had two Panzer Divisions equipped with Czech tanks.
Old December 9, 2022, 05:11 AM   #5
Mikef262

https://imgur.com/gallery/Vac531p

This SHOULD take you guys to the imgur pictures I uploaded.

I appreciate all of the information! I am curious if you guys have any idea what that number and stamping is above the serial number on the pics? I tried my best to focus it and get a clear shot of it. If it is too blury, I will try again. I can't find anything on it.

Also something I found interesting was the floorplate nor the bolt had serial numbers. Years ago I had a K98, the buttplate, floor plate, bolt and receiver were all serialized. The only serial numbers on this one is on the side of the receiver and the last 3 of the serial number stamped into the stock.

Last edited by Mikef262; December 9, 2022 at 06:56 AM.
Old December 9, 2022, 03:40 PM   #6
ernie8

As I already said . It is the Czech army issued date stamp .
Old December 9, 2022, 03:49 PM   #7
ernie8

The German army in 1939 - early 40 was not the giant well equipped army it was made out to be . The use of the Czech arms and tanks about doubled their combat strength . There is a good book by a German artillery officer that tells how his unit was reequipped with Czech cannons and rifles before the French invasion . The Czech tanks where better than about 70% of the German tanks at that time . Even in the early Russian invasion they used many of the old Czech tanks . The early T-34 was not that great of a tank , just the German had a lot of mid 1930's junk .
Old January 6, 2023, 10:50 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

German, and armor in general is a hobby of mine, and while I'd love to discuss some of your points in detail, its off topic for this thread. IF you want to discuss that "mid 30s junk" that conquered Poland, Norway, France, the Balkans and a lot of Russia, please PM me.