The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 30, 2006, 01:48 AM   #76
Freetacos

Actually I like Glocks. The difference is that I don't think they are perfect. I think it is a great pistol that can get even better if people come to the table with open minds.
Old November 30, 2006, 10:53 AM   #77
Ausserordeutlich

It's a great pistol, if people have minds with which to come to the table.
Old November 30, 2006, 03:41 PM   #78
JR47

More drive-by drivel from the drooling drone. What an expert. Ex as in former, and spert as in drips under pressure. Do you ever have anything but trite sayings, that have nothing to do with the subject, to enter into the discussion?

By the way, it seems like that's been asked of you a lot, judging by your post history.
Old November 30, 2006, 04:06 PM   #79
mes228

Glocks

Just my 2 cents. I've owned perhaps 50 or more handguns. I've fired thousands of rounds through Glocks - mainly the Model 23's in .40 cal. I've never had a burp of any kind in a Glock, not one, nada, zip. I currently own a Glock 23, Smith Model 19 .357, and a Star BM 9mm. My opinion is that the Glock 23 is one of the most perfect handguns ever made. The combination of size, capacity, reliability, accuracy, cost, puts the Model 23 in the top 1/10th percent of all handguns ever made. Also I don't really care for plastic guns, I like blue steel and walnut. But I carry a Glock 23 because it is the most perfect pistol I've ever owned, when the entire package is considered. I've owned Colts, CZ, Tangfoglio, Smiths, Rugers, Stars, Astra, Dan Wesson, Springfield, Beretta, Sigs, and probably a few more I can't remember at the moment. I've owned several models of most of the ones mentioned. I honestly believe it takes exposure to many pistols and much firing to realize just how refined and perfect the Model 23 is. They are light, slim, relatively accurate, high capacity, simple, quick to use, durable beyond belief, and utterly reliable. Also ugly and plastic - but truly functional. Just my opinion, but is based on a pretty large sample of handguns and actually shooting them.
Old November 30, 2006, 07:42 PM   #80
Ausserordeutlich

I thought my response was kind of poignant. However, I spend no time at all readng trade journals, so I hereby forego "expert" classification! BTW, how about a little critique of the general quality of threads started by the threadstarter of this thread?

I'd bet I'm one of the few guys on TFL who even knows where Hogpen Gap is!
Old November 30, 2006, 08:11 PM   #81
BigJimP

Would I personally own a Glock for any reason - no. But it has nothing to do with the KBoom's ......

I don't like poly frame guns - or anything without a fully supported chamber - or anything without a smooth trigger. So I own a variety of custom 1911's in 9mm, .40 and .45 - a lot of higher end revolvers in all kinds of calibers - and 3 Sigs ( two standard stainless 226's in 9mm and .40 and one Sgi XFive race gun in .40). The Sigs have barely acceptable triggers in my opinion - but I wanted something a little different.

But I don't like alloy frame guns either - and I've owned a few - and I've sold them all. They're light - but not what I want ( Sig, Kimber, etc).

But everybody should buy and shoot whatever they want - and what they like. I shoot with guys that shoot Glocks every week - and they shoot them very well. But doesn't mean I need to buy one if I don't like them.
Old November 30, 2006, 08:40 PM   #82
nobanforme

NO NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:barf:
Old December 1, 2006, 10:56 AM   #83
JR47

From the quality of the drive-by drivel, one would assume that you don't read much, at all. No trade journals, no literature vis a vis firearms, or anywhere else. Let's just refer to your thread history, and the general opinion of the posters in those threads. :barf: :barf:
Old December 1, 2006, 06:32 PM   #84
Tim R

Quote:
I don't like poly frame guns - or anything without a fully supported chamber - or anything without a smooth trigger. So I own a variety of custom 1911's in 9mm, .40 and .45 - a lot of higher end revolvers in all kinds of calibers - and 3 Sigs ( two standard stainless 226's in 9mm and .40 and one Sgi XFive race gun in .40). The Sigs have barely acceptable triggers in my opinion - but I wanted something a little different.
Hate to tell you but your 1911's don't have a fully supported chamber either.

My boss had his daughter helping him reload some 40 using 231 on his progressive press. Some got double charged and he didn't find them all. So he fired off a double charge of 231 in his Glock 35. The pistol still functioned and fired several rounds after wards. The Chamber was cracked as was the trigger. After replacing a few parts the 35 is back up and running. I thought it said a lot for Glock. I've never had a problem with my 35 as I pretty careful what I feed it as I do for all of my firearms.
Old December 1, 2006, 06:50 PM   #85
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Hate to tell you but your 1911's don't have a fully supported chamber either.
Correct. As far as I know, there are only a very few centerfirre semi-auto handguns with fully supported chambers--none of them common brands/models.
Old December 1, 2006, 07:03 PM   #86
Hard Ball

No, I would not want to bet my life on one.
Old December 2, 2006, 02:00 AM   #87
tony stark

what does kb stand for

kb stands for ka-boom, ka-bluee, good bye gun.
with the distrorted cases i've seen out of my glocks, i won't reload for them.
i'm sure glocks have been blown to pieces by faulty loading procedures.
we all know that you can blow anything up.
i'm also sure that part of the problem is the high pressure, small capacity cartirigdes, ei 40 sw, 10mm & 357 sig.
the unsupported chambers on the glock pistols allows these gun to just shoot regardless of the conditions. the question i have is when does the quest for reliablity become a design flaw?
Old December 2, 2006, 12:50 PM   #88
Hard Ball

The problem is Tony that Glocks also KB with factory ammunition.
Old December 2, 2006, 01:41 PM   #89
threegun

Hard Ball, Most guns have had KB's with both factory and reloaded ammo. So you must not trust any firearm for self defense.....right? The Glock has proved itself as reliable as the most reliable.........and that is pretty darned good. If you don't trust the gun for another reason thats up for debate however not trusting it because of a supposed KB "problem" is just plain ignorance of reality or blinding bias.
Old December 2, 2006, 02:51 PM   #90
BUSTER51

yawn !
Old December 2, 2006, 04:50 PM   #91
Hammerhead

Quote:
Freetacos

310 posts in 70 days, almost a record.
Old December 2, 2006, 04:53 PM   #92
Hard Ball

"Most guns have had KB's with both factory and reloaded ammo. So you must not trust any firearm for self defens"

Wrong. A true KB is impossible in automatics with a Browning action. I trust them,
Old December 2, 2006, 05:04 PM   #93
M1911

Quote:
Would you buy a Glock if they had better case support?
I already did. I've got a Glock 17, 23, and 34. The KB thing doesn't concern me in the least.
Old December 2, 2006, 10:12 PM   #94
shooter71

so is it fair to just say if youre gonna shoot reloads, make sure the pressure is a mfg recommended value and the person doing them knows what he/she is doing?

what if the pressure was underrated a bit, could/would that be a prb?
Old December 4, 2006, 09:57 PM   #95
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
A true KB is impossible in automatics with a Browning action.
How does the "Browning action" prevent "true kB!s"?
Old December 5, 2006, 06:16 AM   #96
threegun

Quote:
How does the "Browning action" prevent "true kB!s"?
Smart technology! It knows when a double charge is in a cartridge. It has an alarm that sounds when a squib load pushes the projectile half way down the barrel so you won't fire the next shot. It also relies on FM (F---in Magic) to prevent them.

Really though, I don't know either.........and I'm real curious.
Old December 5, 2006, 12:24 PM   #97
Ralph2

Quote:
"Most guns have had KB's with both factory and reloaded ammo. So you must not trust any firearm for self defens"

Wrong. A true KB is impossible in automatics with a Browning action. I trust them,
I was over on a Sig site and there were KB's witnessed by some on Revolvers, 1911's HK's Glocks and Sigs. Some Factory and mostly reloads.

Any gun is capable of letting go for any number of reasons.

Lunch is over I will look for the site later.
Old December 5, 2006, 12:29 PM   #98
jcharisman

No, I wouldn't. :barf:
Old December 5, 2006, 07:42 PM   #99
mjrodney

Quote:
Correct. As far as I know, there are only a very few centerfirre semi-auto handguns with fully supported chambers--none of them common brands/models.
I beg to differ....see my previous post.....Sig P220.

Second entry, towards the bottom, with photograph.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=221599

Last edited by mjrodney; December 6, 2006 at 05:12 AM.
Old December 6, 2006, 03:51 AM   #100
Crosshair

However, how many handguns chamber high pressure rounds like the 40 S&W AND have large areas of unsupported chamber. Just asking and genuinely curious about this aspect. Who has a copy of the photo showing the case support among different 40 S&W autoloaders?