The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 29, 2006, 11:36 AM   #1
Slug

I'm looking for a pistol to get my wife involved with this sport. I've been told the Ruger MKII Slab Side is a good start.

Aloha!
Old October 29, 2006, 04:13 PM   #2
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

The Ruger MKII is a good recommendation. I have an MKI with a Millet Red Dot sight on it that is great fun for beginners. The manual of arms is simple and all you have to do is put the dot on the target and squeeze the trigger. It's a great little gun for beginners.

I've heard the Browning Buckmark is a good pistol too.

Best of luck!
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old November 1, 2006, 01:00 AM   #3
Slug

Would that Millet Red dot fit the MKII?

Thanks again for your suggestions!
Old November 1, 2006, 02:25 PM   #4
Baphomet

Weigand makes a nice base for the MK II's. Choose your Millet sight and then choose rings to match it's tube diameter - 1" rings for a 1" tube, or 30 mm rings for a 30 mm red dot tube - and you're good to go.
Old November 1, 2006, 02:41 PM   #5
mikejonestkd

have HER pick out what one fits her hand best, perhaps rent a few or borrow and take them to the range and have her try them.

A good quality .22 is the perfect place to start and the ruger and Browning are great choices.
Old November 1, 2006, 04:50 PM   #6
rem33

After shooting some, as she was new to firearms, we shopped around and she picked a Ruger MKIII in stainless with cocobolo wood grips. Girls like pretty things, it's that, and a easy to use accurate shooter.
Old November 1, 2006, 07:26 PM   #7
swk314

I would like to get a Ruger MkIII. How much do they go for brand new?
Old November 1, 2006, 07:33 PM   #8
solz56

Countdown to Springmom posting, "let her choose" in 5 ...
4 ...
3 ...
2 ...

Colt 1911 Gov't .45
Old November 1, 2006, 10:27 PM   #9
gb_in_ga

Quote:
4 ...
3 ...
2 ...
'Fraid not. I'm afraid that she bid us all adios a few days ago. Something about a bit of heated argument and accusations on yet another "Looking for a pistol for my wife..." thread.

So, I'll chime in, in her stead. --> Let Her Choose. <-- At the very least, bring her along and make SURE that she likes what you are suggesting before you buy it. Better yet, if you are dead set on suggesting a gun for her, let her have the final say-so and let her buy it for herself. Even better is to just let her pick it out and buy it herself.
Old November 2, 2006, 11:14 AM   #10
Qwiks draw

There are many good twenty two pistols to choose from. Rugers are okay. Have her try the 22/45 version. Will fit smaller hands better if that is the case as well as being cheaper than buying a MK. III if you go that route. Browning Buckmark is another good pick. The gun has to feel and fit right for her, what ever she picks. My wife has a 22/45 and my daughter who is much taller likes the Ruger MK.III. Who knew? Maybe a Smith and Wesson 22 revolver would work. So good luck.

Last edited by Qwiks draw; November 2, 2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old November 2, 2006, 09:51 PM   #11
chris in va

Don't be suprised if a .22 just doesn't cut it. My friend shot my Ruger 22/45 for a while at the range but got rapidly bored with it. "It's just a toy."

She likes my CZ 75BD much better. Some women like the feeling of 'power'. The sight of a 2 liter bottle of soda popping with a 9mm hollowpoint definitely puts a on her face.

My .45 isn't so popular, but she likes shooting a couple mags through it anyway.
Old November 2, 2006, 10:01 PM   #12
Shorts

Get off Springmom's back already. I'll say it as well, let her choose.

If she knows a .22 is an excellent place to learn technique, another vote for a Ruger. DH and I both still "go back to basics" with our 22/45. Its an excellent warmup pistol as well.

Keep in mind, depending on which model and barrel you get, weight can be a factor. The first few times shooting, it gets heavy. But it's a great way to get those muscles built
Old November 2, 2006, 10:22 PM   #13
Qwiks draw

My daughter and I picked the Ruger MK.III due to fitting and the gun sits rock steady in the hand while pulling the trigger through its arc. Weight can be an issue. The wife and daughter started strengthing the arm and and hand exercises. Helped tremendously. Didn't need much toning as it were,but the advantages can't be denied. We can live with the "improvements" as this is not a handicap. Might upgrade the trigger though.
Old November 2, 2006, 10:27 PM   #14
shooter chef

I agree with the above, as an aftersight. I bought a pt millenium for my wife because I thought it would fit her and she would like the weight.
I now use it more than her and she actually prefers my XD40 or my 1911... and she is a small woman! Go figure... take her out... let her choose what feels good in her hand, and let the muscle building begin.... oh that poor range!!!lol
Old November 3, 2006, 10:26 AM   #15
tegemu

Check out PAX' web site www.corneredcat.com , she has a plethora of good info relative to women and guns.
Old November 6, 2006, 10:18 AM   #16
AirForceShooter

NO: You're not looking for a gun for your wife.
Your wife is looking for a gun.

Get out of her way and shut up.

AFS
Old November 6, 2006, 06:03 PM   #17
mr00jimbo

Let her choose but bring her to choose and offer guidance into the sport. I wouldn't steer away from revolvers; a .22 revolver would be pretty neat
Old November 6, 2006, 06:53 PM   #18
marlboroman84

Quote:
4 ...
3 ...
2 ...
Bad taste Solz.

I'd say something, but Air Force Shooter already said it. +1 AFS
Old November 6, 2006, 07:50 PM   #19
tipoc

Slug,
Once you start talking about what kind of scope you'd like to have on it, it sounds like you need to get a .22 of your own. Which might not be a bad idea.

Buying guns for new shooters is always chancey. If your brother, for example, wants to learn to shoot buying a gun for him might not be the best thing unless he has already decided on a type he likes, or wants to shoot. If he says "Man I got to have a Berretta 92 cuz they are so cool!" well the choice is easy. Later on he can buy something else. But if he doesn't know where to start, than a good quality .22 is a good place to begin. But it ought to be one he feels good about. How it sits in his hand and how it looks to him are important. Same with a spouse.

I wouldn't buy a dress for my wife without her trying it on and trying on several others on the way. Same with a gun. She ought to lead the way on the choice if you really want it to be her gun that is.

tipoc
Old November 6, 2006, 10:00 PM   #20
gopack

Quote:
NO: You're not looking for a gun for your wife.
Your wife is looking for a gun.

Get out of her way and shut up.

AFS
AFS, you seem to be one of the few who realize that this is 2006, not 1906. If she wants your advice, then she should invite you along. Of course, I may be one of the few macho-type shooters who invites his wife to the range when he needs coaching.
Old November 6, 2006, 10:52 PM   #21
DVC9

Do it right

Get her some training first. NRA courses are a good start. Their PURPOSE is to train the novice shooter in the basics, including how to fit and choose a firearm.

Then let her shoot some various brands either at a rental range or at the local range after talking with other shooters. Most shooters are more than happy to let someone try out their guns and share a little wisdom and B.S.

A family 22 is great to have, and there are manyto choose from.. You may find that you want a conversion unit such as a Ceiner or Advantage. They are reliable, accurate, reasonable in price and allow inexpensive tng with your self defense guns offering the same feel and trigger pull.

Good 22 are plentiful.
Rugers are great for the Money, Browning Buckmarks are also very good, though a bit more expensive.

S&W make several good 22 revolvers for practice as well as those made by Taurus.

I have a pair of Beretta pocket 22s that I use for training, a MD70 & a Md87. Women Love them.

Others worth mention are the Walther P22, Sig Mosqito, Beretta Neo, Smiths current 22A series and their (Unfortunately) Discontinued 422/622 series.

DON"T put optics of ANY type on her first gun!!!

She needs to learn the basics first(See first paragraph) If she doesn't learn proper use of sights first, she will have a much more difficult time learning to use them properly down the road.

Get her a subscription to Women and Gun's and some of the other female oriented literature. (Just do a websearch) Ie, Gila May Hayes, Paxton Quigly.
NRA offers "Womens Outlook" magazine for female members.

Go about it the right way and you will have a dedicated shooting partner who will support your hobby.

Good Luck, Mike
Old November 7, 2006, 05:48 PM   #22
bobhwry

IMHO, anyone( male or female) who has no experience with firearms should NOT pick out their first gun, but defer to someone that does have that experience!! After some training and confirmation that they enjoy the sport, then let them make the choice.
Old November 7, 2006, 06:18 PM   #23
JR47

Letting someone handle a prospective purchase is important, no matter their level of experience. As to caliber, the .22 is the usual starting place, and every family should have at least one. You don't learn the basics as easily with larger calibers. It's also cheap to shoot, and will last forever. Use frangible targets to maintain interest. Once the basics are understood, most ranges rent weapons, but it's important for the individual to feel like the weapon in question is comfortable to them. Once the level of power is found, the individual should be presented with choices to handle, and possibly fire, and LEFT TO THEIR OWN DEVICES. If they have questions, answer them, but it's THEIR choice, and important for them, not the "expert".

By the way, if anyone "equates" caps with screaming, get a life. It's simple emphasis.
Old November 7, 2006, 09:57 PM   #24
gopack

Quote:
IMHO, anyone( male or female) who has no experience with firearms should NOT pick out their first gun, but defer to someone that does have that experience!! After some training and confirmation that they enjoy the sport, then let them make the choice.
Getting advice is a good thing. However, one would expect growed up adults to be make their own choices.
Old November 7, 2006, 10:44 PM   #25
pax

Here's the basic deal, guys:

Quite apart from considerations about firearms fit (a non-trivial question), there's a major reason "Let her choose!" is such darn good advice.

You see, doing the research to pick out the gun is a very important part of the process of becoming a responsible gun owner. It gives the new gun-person a chance to learn about firearms, to explore her likes and dislikes, and to do some very important soul searching about what she is looking for and why she is looking for it. This research allows her to make some very important fundamental decisions about gun ownership.

How she does the research is up to her. She can take a class (NRA's got some good 'uns for newbies). She can hop online and ask questions of faceless strangers. She can surf gun manufacturers' websites and read product descriptions. She can go into her local gun shop and ask the guys behind the counter. She can buy a book, subscribe to magazines, visit a gun show, ask gun owning friends and family ... the list of ways she can research her new purchase are literally endless. Every one of those research methods has something to commend it, and something to be cautious about (but as an adult human being, she can probably figure those out on her own if you give her a chance).

What sure seems to be happening in most of these "pick a gun for my wife/gf" threads, however, is that someone else has taken over the process of picking out a gun. The woman in question no longer owns the process of figuring out which gun will suit her. She's not the one doing the research and making the decisions. Someone else is doing all of the filtering. He's trying to help her, but by taking over her research he is crippling her growth.

Very few people pick out the absolute best firearm for themselves, first time out the gate. (Did you?) Most pick something not-quite perfect to begin with, and then later trade up to get something better or more appropriate or more pleasing. That's normal, and especially normal when you are trying to find a multiple-purpose gun, such as one upon which you will learn to shoot and also use for defense -- or especially, one for learning to shoot and also for carrying.

So.

Possibility A: She picks out her own gun. For whatever reason, maybe no reason at all, it turns out not to be the bestest gun for her. If she owned the process of buying it, she'd do what every other new gun owner has done at one time or another -- breathe a deep sigh, figure out what was wrong with the gun she had, and go buy the next gun.

Possibility B: It's not her process, so guess what she does? She shoves the gun back into the safe, decides guns aren't for her, and quits. She didn't own the process, she only owned the gun ... and the gun didn't work.

That is why it's a bad idea to do her research for her. Help her find resources, sure. Suggest places for her to look, you bet. Go with her to the range to rent a gun, oh yeah! But make sure she is the primary researcher, and make sure she owns the process of narrowing down her own choices.

You'll be glad you did ...

pax