The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 31, 2007, 07:56 PM   #1
gale petit

Any suggestions for woman wanting gun

I am a mother of 4 boys and interested in purchasing a gun for home protection. My father was a long beach cop so I know not to keep guns around kids but still nervous about owning one.
Old August 31, 2007, 08:02 PM   #2
zoomie

CC

Ever hear of Cornered Cat? http://corneredcat.com/

Specifically: http://corneredcat.com/FirstGun/which.aspx
Old August 31, 2007, 08:20 PM   #3
Gbro

Is your Dad close enough to give you help? "Most" LEO's have very good gun sense.
Check out lock boxes before you bring one home.(handgun)

Look into a firearms safety class. And for the boys too.

Good luck
Old August 31, 2007, 08:24 PM   #4
Wildalaska

Step one.

Find what fits your hand.

WildgoodluckAlaska TM
Old August 31, 2007, 08:30 PM   #5
Starsky

As I always told women when I was a LEO and they ask about a home protection weapon.

A pump Shotgun. The racking of the pump is easy and has a very pyschological effect on any bad guy and best of all you do not have to practice alot with it as you would a handgun to be able to effectively protect yourself and your kids. As all you have to do with a shotgun is have a good load in it and keep it in what we called "crusier safe" buy no round in the chamber and the safety off. Then racking a round in the chamber when needed and the weapon is then ready to fire and you won't "forget" to release the safety during a stressful encounter. Then just point it at the target, pull the trigger and chances are very good you will hit it with ease.

And before anybody brings up recoil 1) it really isn't that bad and 2) don't worry about recoil from a shotgun. In a life or death confrontation you'll never even feel it or think about it.
Old August 31, 2007, 08:34 PM   #6
benny27

.38 or 9mm.

I would probably go with either a .38 or 9mm, the recoil is not to bad, and has sufficient power to stop a threat, I would choose the 9mm, which I currently carry, you can carry up to 15 rounds, and pull of shots quickly. The .38 being a revolver will usually take a little longer to pull off shots, remember you want to neutralize the threat quickly. go with the semi-auto, thats my 2-cents
Old August 31, 2007, 08:44 PM   #7
Tanzer

Don't view yourself as any different from a guy. Everyone has likes and dislikes. I hate Glocks, but my wife loves them. Sounds like you want something ergonomical because you're new to shooting. Maybe you'll prefer a revolver over a semi. You won't know 'till you hold a few. Any good gun dealer will treat you like any other customer. If not, buy elsewhere. Frankly, I think they treat my wife better than they treat me. Better yet, see if you can shoot a few - Not many stores will let you borrow one, at least here, but some do. Some ranges will let you rent guns. See (if you know someone with a membership) if you can go as a guest.
My club doesn't rent, but the president will often meet folks who are thinking of joining, and let them shoot a gun or two of his own (after some safety talk) to give them some kind of feel for things before they decide whether to go through the requirements of membership. This helps if they don't know anyone to ask.
If you don't know gun enthusiasts yet, we're generally a friendly crowd. Most of us are happy to help.
Good Luck and Fear Not.
Old August 31, 2007, 08:49 PM   #8
Tanzer

By the way, I think you have: How do I send etc..... as your sig line. it will appear every time you post. Go back to user CP and edit your profile.
Old August 31, 2007, 08:53 PM   #9
tony pasley

Find a range where you can try out several different styles and cals. then decide.
Old August 31, 2007, 08:54 PM   #10
Bill DeShivs

Don't believe you don't have to aim with a shotgun. You certainly do!
Old August 31, 2007, 09:37 PM   #11
Qwiks draw

Let's start here out with the basics. If you need shooting experience there are NRA certified instructors or courses for women only. Local gunshops,ranges and gunclubs should have access or know where and how to get started. www.nra.org has education and training help.

There can be one on one instruction which is more relaxed and more personal. Can be tailored torwards the student.

Then there are the women only classes. These are annually or maybe more than that. Depends on your area. Women can get the basics of firearms and training. Be exposed to the various types of long guns and handguns. Even try them out at the range under certified instructors. Very relaxed atmosphere.

Starting out with a good .22lrf revolver or semi-auto is a cheap,simple, and easy way to start out learning shooting if need be. Very little recoil and noise to deal with. Ruger, Browning,S&W,and Taurus products can fill that bill. There are others.

Graduating up to the larger calibers can take place from there. .38 Special and .357 magnums in revolvers with 4inch or longer barrels work well. ammunition selection can be tailored for defense and practice. More so with the .38 Specials. 148 gr. mild wadcutters for practice and a good jacketed or LSWCHP, standard pressure or +P for defense.
If you want a semi-auto and recoil or muzzle blast is a real problem ther are .32ACP and .380ACP rounds that will give a somewhat decent level of protection.

Otherwise there are the 9mm. through .45ACP pistols that give an even better level of protection. Many women shoot IDPA competition with 9mm., .40S&W, and .45ACP calibers. Many are petite and handle the larger centerfire cartridges with aplomb.

Trying and shooting as many types of handguns as you can will help.

Mentoring from someone other than a significant other is a good idea.Too many possible vagaries can creep in where spouse and boyfriends are concerned. Had to let others instruct my wife and daughter. One is a bullseye shooter with a Ruger MKIII in .22lrf and the other uses here CZ75BD to blow out the center of targets at any range for handguns. Her prefered caliber is 9mm. Luger,9x19,or 9mm. Parabellum as the caliber is called. This is under any of these labels.

Ruger,CZ,S&W, and Taurus all have pistols that will work for women.

Revolvers have a simpler manual of arms to learn, use, and maintain. There are exceptions.

Ruger,S&W,and Taurus have revolvers that will work nicely.
There are many ways of locking or securing firearms from kids.
Some firearms come with locks built into the firearms.
Others come with mandatory locks and case.
Exposing the kids to the guns and showing them the unloaded firearms( no ammo is to be anywhere out or near them) will let them explore and get rid of the temptation for them to later play with unathorized with the guns. The mystic vanishes with proper exposure.

I played a game with my kids when they were 4 and 5. I was the primer and case,pushed gently on one kid to show what the primer did, got things moving. Ad then had the first kid as the powder, and they got to gently puch the second kid who was the bullet. Thenwe change positions and went through the thing all over again. Then they got to push me as the bullet last. I explained only the basics of what each part did. They got it and understood. Kept the guns locked up in a gun safe. They never touched the guns or ammo.

As an example an air rifle or pistol was used to shoot a lead pellet through a bar of soap. The large hole going through the bar represented what a bullet could do as far as damage. The kid's eyes bugged out and they were impressed. While the damage to the soap was an exaggerated what could happen, the message was driven home. Never had problems with youngsters wanting to play with the real guns. Until they were of age and could be responsible.Then and only then after thorough training were they allowed under supervision to shoot.

And there you have it. www.corneredcat.com, as has been mentioned already, is an excellent choice for info for women and guys for shooting. Pax, a member here, is also linked with many shooting links,schools,trainers,and many other too many to name sources of info.
She's also a member of the forum I moderate at. Linked to it too.
So good luck with your adventure.
Old August 31, 2007, 10:19 PM   #12
Lurper

The best thing to do is seek professional guidance and training. Most NRA courses are relatively inexpensive (we charge $49.00 for Basic pistol). For a novice, a revolver is a good choice. The one that most women I know like is a S&W Mod. 13 3" (any "k" frame will work). Taurus is also a good choice. If you can find a facility with a certified instructor that also rents firearms, try some out. I would strongly recommend against a .22 or a shotgun for home protection. Both leave much to be desired for someone in your position. If you live in AZ, pm me and I can send you information about classes, etc. here.
Old September 1, 2007, 02:07 AM   #13
TWB

I'd have to go with the recommendation for a shotgun, unless you have your heart set on a pistol, in which case I'd suggest a revolver with a 3" or 4" barrel, in .38 special. (Buying a .357 mag will allow you to shoot either .38 special ammunition or .357 magnum ammunition in the same gun.)

Depending on your size, physical condition, tolerance to recoil, and muscle strength, I'd suggest either a 20 guage (smaller) or a 12 guage (larger). My personal preference is for the 20 guage, and I load both #3 buckshot and rifled slugs (a large bullet) depending on the circumstances of whether I'm travelling or at home. I prefer an 18" - 20" barrel length for self defense. This is a short barrel for a shotgun.

It takes less time to become proficient at handling a long gun than does a pistol. The practice requirements are less to maintain skills with a long gun than a short gun, once you have reached an adequate level of proficiency. The shotgun is more powerful than a pistol, and generally is considered more intimidating. (Having looked down the wrong end of both types of guns, I can't say which one scared me more.)

Almost lastly, learn the four rules of safe gunhandling, (http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html), then take a good safety course...the NRA course is generally conceded to be the best. If you have older kids, take them with you. If you have younger kids, send them to the NRA "Eddie Eagle" program. Kids need safety, too.

Lastly, get some training with your chosen gun. It will be money well spent, or find someone you know, such as your Dad, who has experience using the gun you choose.

Please let us know your choice and how everything is working out. At the beginning, there can be information overload and vaporlock.
twb
Old September 1, 2007, 06:14 AM   #14
Starsky

Quote:
Don't believe you don't have to aim with a shotgun. You certainly do!

To shoot animals in hunting and shooting clays in sport sure you do. Even for shooting bad guys from 25 yards and further you would. But to protect yourself in a 7-10 yard area, absolutely you do NOT have to do anything more than point it at the target and pull the trigger and you will hit it, esp in a comfined area such as in a house, and it you know guns you know that is true.
Old September 1, 2007, 06:41 AM   #15
Silvanus

Very good advise to just point the gun in the general direction of a BG with 4 kids in the house
Old September 1, 2007, 06:49 AM   #16
Starsky

Quote:
Very good advise to just point the gun in the general direction of a BG with 4 kids in the house
YES it is. I stand by what I said as the proper self defense weapon for a female. I taught this to ladies and many others as a Cop for 20+ years and like it or not a shotgun is the perfect self defense weapon for a home, even for all the Rambo's on these forums waving their .44 mags and super-duper Glocks whose biggest threat in life thus far has come from a paper B27 target and in a real life or death situation would crap their pants. A MOM even more so than a dad is going to KNOW where her kids are and would not put them in harms way. It is MUCH better to have her blasting in a house with kids from a shotgun than blasting away with a semi-auto handgun with insuffient training.
Old September 1, 2007, 06:52 AM   #17
Tanzer

Quote:
To shoot animals in hunting and shooting clays in sport sure you do. Even for shooting bad guys from 25 yards and further you would. But to protect yourself in a 7-10 yard area, absolutely you do NOT have to do anything more than point it at the target and pull the trigger and you will hit it, esp in a comfined area such as in a house, and it you know guns you know that is true.
No doubt a shotgun works more like bugspray, but respectfully, this is a beginner who has already stated that she is nervous about the idea. She has kids (know your tatget and what's beyond). Seems some formal training and a level of comfort is called for.
Old September 1, 2007, 07:04 AM   #18
Starsky

Quote:
No doubt a shotgun works more like bugspray, but respectfully, this is a beginner who has already stated that she is nervous about the idea. She has kids (know your tatget and what's beyond). Seems some formal training and a level of comfort is called for.
AGREED and no doubt the learning and comfort curve for a shotgun as I implied is much less and faster than a handgun.

I have been shooting and owning handguns longer than many on the forum have been alive and I am good at it and love my handguns. I carried a handgun for 20+ years as my job. However the problem here is that guys are mucho and want their big bore handguns and nothing else and that's fine. But fact is a handgun is not what is always best and/or needed. Shoot, ask any LEO. Even though we are/were well trained in shooting in "most" situtations that involve a gun and the most common 7-15 yards "real life shoot out area" even the cop would feel really good with a shotgun loaded with 00 Buck in their hands pointed at a bad guy.

Like it or not I still say a shotgun is the best SD weapon for females who aren't well versed (read trained) or likely to become well versed in handguns.
Old September 1, 2007, 07:16 AM   #19
Tanzer

Well, I think gale can see that her choices are many, and that there's no simple "do it all" answer. Hopefully this will encourage her to investigate.
Old September 1, 2007, 07:17 AM   #20
Socrates

Starsky:
What about the recoil factor? How about a SKS, or something like that, that doesn't recoil much, and is easy to move around in close quarters?

Or, a light, semi-auto shotgun? What gauge, what loads wouldnt' recoil too much for a woman, or slight man?

S J.D.
Old September 1, 2007, 07:24 AM   #21
Fremmer

I'd PM Springmom about getting started. She has a lot of experience with guns (hunting and self-protection), and she is a very reasonable, nice person. She can give you some tips to get started, from a woman's perspective. The corneredcat website is good too; you could also PM Tamera (a mod here).

Otherwise, I'd go to the NRA's website, and take a NRA class. The NRA is very good about teaching safety, and they'll help you to hook up with other women in your area who know more about firearms. What you need to do is to find another woman (or man, if you prefer) who knows a lot about firearms, and let that person show you the ropes. Good luck!
Old September 1, 2007, 08:23 AM   #22
Silvanus

Quote:
However the problem here is that guys are mucho and want their big bore handguns and nothing else and that's fine
Quote:
even for all the Rambo's on these forums waving their .44 mags and super-duper Glocks whose biggest threat in life thus far has come from a paper B27 target and in a real life or death situation would crap their pants
Who mentioned "big bore" handguns, anyway? I've seen .22s, 9mm, .38 and stuff like that mentioned, nothing like a .44 magnum.

And the only thing I am saying is that you still need training to properly use a shotgun. You must be sure of your target when there are other people in the house that might get hurt.

Besides, a handgun in any reasonable caliber for a beginner can be carried around the house at all times. What good is a shotgun in the bedroom when you're playing with you kids outside in the garden?

Last edited by JohnKSa; September 2, 2007 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Overly confrontational
Old September 1, 2007, 08:40 AM   #23
Starsky

Those were were GENERAL statements. If you took them personal that is your issue not mine. I am not trying to be nor do I have to play "tough guy". I have seen and been through more than a lot of guys on here and other gun forums will ever see and that gives me real world experience, not just range experience. This is not a brag/bost or "tough guy" statement, it is simply a fact because of the business I have spent a lifetime in is all. You have been on this forum for 2 years according to your info so you know full well that not only on this forum but ALL gun forums there are RAMBO types everywhere that sit at home polishing their guns while watching Die Hard or some such planning their next full frontal assault on that B27. Hopefully they are a small number as they give us all a bad name, but they are here and elsewhere and yes they would crap thier pants if ever in a shootout, that's fact.

My point is there are many options for self defense. The answer is not always a handgun, and a handgun is not always the best option. Like it or not.

I gave the shotgun advise as a true effort to help this lady if that bothers you or others or you take my comments personal when not directed that way or intended that way so be it.

Now back on subject for the OP.......I still say shotgun.

Last edited by JohnKSa; September 2, 2007 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Overly confrontational.
Old September 1, 2007, 08:43 AM   #24
olds442man

I understand what some of you are saying with regards to using the shotgun over the handgun. My question on that is, with the handgun there are many easy access safes that can be used to keep the gun out of her kids' hands but ready for SD, what are your recommendation for her to do the same for the shotgun?
Old September 1, 2007, 08:45 AM   #25
Silvanus

Yes, you're advise is taken (I guess) but nobody in this thread showed the attitude you're refering to and you mentioned it right after quoting me so I thought it was directed at me. If not, that's fine and I respect your opinion on the HD matter. I just think differently.
Closed Thread