The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 27, 2007, 08:09 AM   #1
almtiba

Broken Extractor on H-S Precision

Hi Guys !

Last Saturday happened the 5th Annual Safari Club International - Chapter Brazil Shooting Match, here in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

One of the most important and awaited matches of the competition is the "Elephant Charge Match", where a live size target of an elephant runs on steel cables towards the hunter, that has aprox. 6 to 9 seconds to fire 2 shots in the head of the animal, from about 15 yards far.
In this match, it's only allowed .338 and larger calibers, bolt actions and double rifles.

I'm a director of SCI - Brazil, and one of the organizators of the event.

In this match I was going to test my new rifle, a H-S Precision Pro-Series 2000, take down version, with .375 H&H and .300 Win Mag barrels. Everybody, especialy me, were very ansious to try this new rifle, since here in Brazil it's very difficult to see things like this.

So, (with the rifle tested and zeroed for the match - I've shot about three boxes of ammo two weeks ago) I opened the match.

For my surprise, I fired the first shot, operated the bolt and it didn't close. When I stoped to inspect what has happened, I saw the second shot didn't load 'cause it hit the empty shell that was still in the chamber and was not extracted. Romoving the bolt, I had the unfortunate surpise to see that my EXTRACTOR WAS BROKE !!!!

By the way, ammo was Federal, Safari Grade, 300gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw.

Well, besides the jokes about being a pankake hunter, charged by the elephant, you can imagine my frustration and disapointment with my new rifle.

I had to hear all day long comments, like "that's why I use a mauser" or "that's a range rifle... Don't go hunting with it..."...

I sent an e-mail to H-S Precision and got no responses yet.

Just for you to see, I'm posting some pics of the rifle, of the broken extrctor and mine, finishing the match with a borrowed Ruger m77, in .416 Rigby.

By the way, do you know wich action is H-S Prcision, in case I have to buy the extractor from brownells or gun parts ? It really looks like Win 70, but I'm not sure...

Please, guys, your comments...

Regards,

Andre Tiba - Brazil

Ps - Sorry by the long post... but I'm too... you know...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TIB_0016.JPG (79.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg TIB_0077.JPG (28.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg TIB_0073.JPG (80.5 KB, 84 views)
Old November 27, 2007, 01:44 PM   #2
L Puckett

Andre,

I am sorry to hear of your rifles failure. All things made by man can fail, but it REALLY sucks when your out of the country. All of the issued HTR's I am aware of have operated without failure, even in heavy abuse situations.

The action on the HTR's is a proprietary H-S action (to my knowledge) it is like a Rem 700 with a Win 70 safety and a Sako type extractor. I do not know if they are interchangeable.

Contact H-S directly and I am sure they will remedy the problem quickly.

Good luck and good shooting,
LP
Old November 27, 2007, 09:40 PM   #3
tINY

That extractor looks a little small for 375 H-H.

I'm sure they will do something for you.

-tINY

Old November 29, 2007, 08:26 AM   #4
almtiba

Hi again,

Just to keep you informed, I've got no response from H-S yet. I've been trying to re-send the e-mails, but nobody replies.

The only e-mail available on the site is [email protected]
Does anyone know another one ? I'm avoiding to call them by the phone because of my poor English.

I'll keep trying. I never thougt a company like that, with a reputation like the one they've earned could care so little for a desperate overseas customer.

I'm very aware that bad things can happen, like LP said, but after the problem, the way the company handles it tells me much about them.

Just in case I get no suport from HS, can anybody give me an idea to where to search for help ?

Regards,

Andre Tiba - Brazil
Old November 29, 2007, 12:41 PM   #5
almtiba

I have just recieved a reply from Josh, at H-S.
He told me they will replace the broken extractor for free and charge me u$ 15 + shipping for the spare one I ordered, too.

He also told in the e-mail he they will ship the two extractors to an address in the US.

Well, I asked to do it the fastest way possible. Now that they're aware of my problem, let's see how fast they can do it.

I'll keep you informed.

Regards,

Andre Tiba - Brazil
Old November 30, 2007, 10:20 AM   #6
Greatest Hunter

Sure you haven't been a bit too "macho" with this rifle ? A broken extractor is not something you expect to see in a HS rifle. Anyway, I would never trust a take down rifle. Its fine for a .22, but not for an Buffalo/Elephant rifle.