The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 27, 2008, 09:29 PM   #1
08 Cayenne

S&W Model 36 .38 Sp as CCW

I get my license on Tuesday and was wondering what people thought of using M36 1 7/8 barrel in Nickel as a CCW. I bought this gun new over 20 years ago and have put less than 100 rounds through it, it's still in its original packaging I know only 5 rounds and not nearly the firepower of a Magnum. Obviously I would need to get some range time sith it. I have about every caliber of Magnum already only problem is I would walk like I had a cast on my leg, barrels are way too long and my only other choice would be a 1911.

My other choice would be to trade for a .357 snubbie from Ruger or S&W, or a compact .45 auto but I hear about a lot of problems with the compacts jamming and that makes me nervous.

Just roughly what price could I get for the 36 trading it in, I would have to believe it's 100%, looks new, well actually it is.

Thanks
Frank
Old April 27, 2008, 10:12 PM   #2
kamerer

That is an excellent ccw gun, why trade? Put nice .38 rounds in it and carry it. I use a model 60 (same but stainless) sometimes and it's my favorite "concealable" gun - hard to be it a full-power .38 in that size. Also the steel makes it much more controllable than the lightweight models.
Old April 27, 2008, 10:14 PM   #3
IanS

I think I can safely speak for most of my fellow members when I say you should definately keep it or you will regret it in hindsight.
Old April 27, 2008, 10:28 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have a both a 2" Model 36 and a 3" square butt that I carried for a lot of years as a deputy sheriff, and never felt like I was unarmed with either. Practice firing it in aimed double action and you might be surprised at how well it will do. You might get a speed loader and carry it also if 5 rounds might not be enough.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chiefs-3insq.JPG (36.2 KB, 364 views)
Old April 27, 2008, 11:51 PM   #5
jrothWA

USE it!....

it's the perfect SURPRISE.

Try using the Hornady 140gr XTP .38 Spl rounds.
Old April 28, 2008, 05:02 PM   #6
obiwan1

Agreed! Or you can just send it to me.
Old April 28, 2008, 05:13 PM   #7
Dismantler

The pre-lock S&W's are really going to appreciate in price. If it is in the shape that you describe it as being in, you may want to keep it packed away for safe keeping and get yourself a cosmetically challenged used snubby for carry.

In either case, you'll have a fine carry gun. I have a Model 36 and a Model 442 Airweight, and feel fine carrying either of them.
Old April 28, 2008, 07:42 PM   #8
GWbiker

Keep it and use it, it's an excellent CCW gun. You will be amazed at the accuracy of a short barrel model 36. Get a quality brand speed loader, too.

I've owned a pinned barrel S&W 36 for 25 years.
Old April 28, 2008, 08:49 PM   #9
08 Cayenne

I didn't realize what I had, Thanks for the info. I'll keep it.

I still want a snubby in .357, I already have a Ruger GP-100 with a 6" barrel, it's my nightstand gun, great shooting revolver. Maybe I'll try a Smith for holster carry when not pocketing the 36.

Thanks Again
Frank