The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 18, 2009, 07:01 AM   #1
Dannyl

is it only here that the media attacks gun owners?

Hi,
I am curious to find out what it is like in your countries (there are people on this forum from quite a variery)

In South Africa, when crime is commited involving firearms, the media has a habit of referring to the criminal as "Gunman" and emphasizing the use of guns involved rather than calling him a "Robber" "Mugger" "assailant" or any other name that would focus the public attention to the fact that this is a person intent on commiting a crime, who happened to use a firearm as a tool to commit said crime.

Each time this happens it causes a wave of hype against private ownership of firearms, in most cases ignoring the fact that today most robberies of cash delivery vans is carried out with assault rifles that are either smuggled in, or stolen from the police / Army.

I personall get very annoyed by this habbit of the media.

Is this something that you also notice?

Brgds,

Danny
Old August 18, 2009, 07:05 AM   #2
TheNev

The media in the US tends to overemphasize things, trying to be more "in depth" i suppose.

Every semi-auto rifle, regardless of caliber is a "fully automatic assault rifle" Pistols are always "automatic", and a few guns in someone's house is an "arsenal".

That's why I don't watch the news.
Old August 18, 2009, 07:17 AM   #3
Falcon5NZ

Pretty good over here. Not perfect by any means. The media almost sounded like they were massively on our side the other day. The article mention how people with thumbhole stocks will soon need a safe with 6mm plate steel. And at one stage had the interveiwer standing in a shop (my old work) with a Saiga in each hand trying to figure out how the Draganov stock made it more dangerous than the sporting stock. Heres a link to the story
It is New Zealand's role to send out its bright young men and women to help run the rest of the world. And they go, not hating the country of their birth, but loving it. From this loving base they make their mark on the world.

Pro-1080 Poison and proud of it!!
Old August 18, 2009, 09:21 AM   #4
ThomasPaine

Quote:
Pretty good over here. Not perfect by any means. The media almost sounded like they were massively on our side the other day. The article mention how people with thumbhole stocks will soon need a safe with 6mm plate steel. And at one stage had the interveiwer standing in a shop (my old work) with a Saiga in each hand trying to figure out how the Draganov stock made it more dangerous than the sporting stock. Heres a link to the story
I cannot believe what he said. "It has nothing to do with safety, it has to do with compliance with the law." Well if the law is wrong not only does it not have to be obeyed, it also casts doubt on all laws and the government that enacted them. That brings up scary scenarios, when the line between criminal and law biding citizen becomes blurred.

--Thomas Paine--
Old August 18, 2009, 11:56 AM   #5
Rich Miranda

Danny, that has been going on as long as I can remember here.

The media also has a fetish for Glock handguns. If one is involved, they are sure to mention it, while other brands don't get such attention.

When reporting a shooting, they'll show a graphic of a handgun, but when reporting a strangling, a beating, or a hit-and-run, they don't show graphics of a rope, a fist or a car....
Old August 18, 2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Skans

For some reason the media hates guns. They seem to take up for the Antis and could care less about the 2nd Amendment. However, when it comes to their 1st Amendment, they will go to any lengths to make sure that their right to peddle politics any way they want isn't infringed.
Old August 18, 2009, 10:59 PM   #7
mopars_1

dont even get me started...
Old August 19, 2009, 12:36 AM   #8
tranks

Quote:
Falcon5NZ-

i've heard of laws (here in the states) that are very similar, i don't think any of them have been passed yet, but there are several politicians that think barrel shrouds make firearms 10 times more deadly.

i think they get their information from video games.

"Stan, what did I tell you about watching the Osbournes? It's going to make you retarded!" Stan's Mom (south park)
Old August 19, 2009, 01:27 AM   #9
Falcon5NZ

Yea its NZ. I can't quite figure out how a pistol grip makes it more dangerous but apparently it does.
It is New Zealand's role to send out its bright young men and women to help run the rest of the world. And they go, not hating the country of their birth, but loving it. From this loving base they make their mark on the world.

Old August 19, 2009, 07:36 AM   #10
Foxrr

Here in Australia it's the same old tripe. The media here show their prejudices by always making sure the 'antis' get more than their share of airtime when a gun issue pops up. The tenor of their news stories always shows the 'horror' of guns.
Then ... the next minute they are blowing on about, and playing their unmissable, compelling 'all new ' great drama series which portrays guns as the answer to all urban problems. Gimme a break! Maybe their 'anti' stance is evidence of a guilty conscience.
Occasionally the Australian Broadcasting Commission TV station will run a story on sporting or agricultural firearms use but it's not regular.
Recently an Oz commercial tv station ran a fairly positive item about hunting for deer and ferals on one of its current affairs programs. The firearms community is still recovering from the shock. It featured something of a positive tilt on deer hunting and spoke to the contribution shooters make against ferals. Even then there was a touch of the negative in the segment but for once it was low-key.
Old August 19, 2009, 08:29 AM   #11
Skans

In Australia, y'all have a political party called the "Shooter's Party". Why can't that party get enough members to make a real difference in Australian politics?
Old August 19, 2009, 08:50 AM   #12
#18indycolts

The american media is different than in other countries. Here they show a lot of crime, a lot. The goal is to instill fear in people, constantly keeping people scared. They do it to get whatever it is passed. Show crime, people will either be scared and buy guns or think that guns are bad and vote that way. Or they'll scare everyone with the swine flu and call it a "pandemic" so they can make people think that they'll need the vaccine and so on, look at what is being shown and if you think a little you can figure out why they do it.
Old August 20, 2009, 01:35 AM   #13
Foxrr

Quote:
In Australia, y'all have a political party called the "Shooter's Party". Why can't that party get enough members to make a real difference in Australian politics?
Scans, they do do good work in Oz, but mainly for the eastern states. They've managed to get a couple of members elected to government over there. The Shooters' Party hasn't figured much here in West Oz. We're a long way from the east where the centre of Australia's federal government is based.
Although there's been a strong move to standardise gun laws Oz-wide (only 6 states and one federal territory having to nut it out) there's still a bit of 'them and us' going on. We're hoping that in the end any good stuff happening in the east will work its way over here.
You know indy, I'm becoming more convinced there is a widespread belief in western governments that a fearful populace is a populace easier controlled. The lessons to be learned from the Hitler experience have probably been well absorbed. Even in the days pre-WWII there were quite a few in the States, among the Brits and even in Oz who thought the Fuhrer was on to something. Give the plebs their daily shot of the joys (acquire!, consume!) but keep 'em fearful by more or less subtle means, and you have a captive audience.
The media is so good at playing their part. The Powers are pretty good at knowing just how far you can push the people before they spit it.
Oh, and in case you're wondering, I love the Capitalist system, acquiring and consuming. I'm just not all that good at it. See, I'm caught in the trap too.
Old August 20, 2009, 11:35 AM   #14
BrunoNorway

Quote:
Here in Norway you need a gun locker to own a gun. Ther is also some restrictions on the pistolgrip and foldable and collapsable stocks, but not as stupid as thees laws in the news video from New Zeland.

Gun owners here are usaly left alone here but ther are a few incedents offcourse. generaly the media is prety concious about were the danger lies, usaly urban multi-cultural gangs and the wannabe east-European mafia.

I live in one of the most rural areas in Norway, with around 50% of the population as registerd hunters, and evry mothers dream for ther son is to becom a moos-hunter and for their doughters to mary a moos-hunter.

The biggest conflickt now a days are predators. Urban-latte-people want them to live, but only on the countryside. And Mr.Ola Sheep Farmer wants them to die or go visit the urban-latte-people. People are prosecuted for shooting in SD and for protecting their dog. Its like they encourage people not to notefying LE.

I have peronly not experienced predator-animals getting "lost and drowning in the mashes" up in the mountains but you hear stories.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
Old August 20, 2009, 09:52 PM   #15
Foxrr

Off-topic I know, but ..hey Bruno, what sort of predators do you have in Norway? Wolves? Any bears over there? And what do you guys use to knock 'em over?
Maybe start a thread on hunting in Norway for us newer members. In the hunting section I guess.
Old August 21, 2009, 11:16 AM   #16
BrunoNorway

We got bears, wolves, lynx and wolverines as the "biggest". We also got smaler predators as fox, badger and otter. We usaly use the "standard" big game calibers like 6,5x55 and bigger. 6,5x55, 308 and 30.06 are the most common big game calibers here.

The media usaly goes crazy when ther is one wolfe missing.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
Old August 21, 2009, 06:59 PM   #17
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
The media in the US tends to overemphasize things, trying to be more "in depth" i suppose.

Every semi-auto rifle, regardless of caliber is a "fully automatic assault rifle" Pistols are always "automatic", and a few guns in someone's house is an "arsenal".

That's why I don't watch the news.
Funny thing, I rarely hear about fully automatic firearms. I often hear semi-automatics referred to as automatics and in every case, that description is 100% accurate. Those "automatic" pistols are in fact automatic. My 1911 fires .45 ACP (AUTOMATIC Colt Pistol) ammo.

You have two types of automatic. You have auto loading and auto firing. A semi-auto firing pistol is an auto loading pistol. Same for rifles. I carry an automatic pistol everyday. It is a correct descriptor even if many gun folks don't like it because some of the public (including many gun people) confuse the terminology.
Old August 21, 2009, 11:23 PM   #18
Falcon5NZ

I agree with Double Naught. Automatic can refer to full or semi auto but, because of the media, the general public automatically take it to mean full auto. I use the term every now and then and get horrified looks and a comment along the lines of "But full auto is illegal!!!" Best rebuttal I've found is "When did I say 'Full' Auto?".

Old August 23, 2009, 08:36 PM   #19
My870inVT

mopars-1

mopars_1

"dont even get me started..."
+1

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787