The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 21, 2021, 10:01 PM   #1
AlongCameJones

What kind of sling did Kyle Rittenhouse have?

That type of sling kept his body tied to the weapon so it couldn't be pulled away. I was an American soldier for 7 years. My M16's were issued with standard mil-spec slings that could not be wrapped around the body like that and still allow the rifle to be shouldered and fired.

This video is a very good lesson in defensive weapons training and tactics from the real-world streets in America. Law enforcement and the military could learn some pointers from this even. I would want a sling setup like Kyle's if I were to carry such a weapon in a tactical scenario as that.

A Smith & Wesson M&P15 chambered in .223 is the gun Mr. Rittenhouse had during the defensive shooting situation in Wisconsin. It looks like a carbine with maybe a 16" barrel. A clone of the Colt M-4 Carbine maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iryQSpxSlrg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kyle rittenhouse.jpg (34.2 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by JohnKSa; November 21, 2021 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Removed off topic commentary.
Old November 22, 2021, 01:19 AM   #2
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongCameJones View Post
A Smith & Wesson M&P15 chambered in .223 is the gun Mr. Rittenhouse had
5.56/.223
Old November 22, 2021, 01:52 AM   #3
AlongCameJones

Thanks for caliber correction. I'd really like to learn more about that sling setup. It makes the gun so secure on the wearer's body.

What do folks here think about this sling set-up for AR rifles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIrKd5O5XFs

The idea is to keep your AR secure to your body while manuevering fast and assuming any of a myriad of field positions to fire defensively. Mr. Rittenhouse was seated on his butt and even lying on his back while hastily handling his rifle in a bad situation.

The rilfe or carbine should be able to be fired from the hip as well as from the shoulder.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; November 22, 2021 at 02:04 AM.
Old November 22, 2021, 06:39 AM   #4
HiBC

I can't give a source or back it up,but seems like I vaguely remember Kyle may have just bought whatever generic was on the shelf to fill the need for "A sling" rather than picking out the Ultimo Tec Ops Velociraptor sling.

Seems like it was a single point.

Some slings convert from two point to single point by clipping a snap hook to a dee ring. Then you have both.
Old November 22, 2021, 09:22 AM   #5
Joe-ker

I remember it appearing to be a single point.

Another forum folks were criticizing why he brought a long gun when a handgun would be better. I don't believe a handgun would have been legal at his age. I like the rifle on a sling in this situation because it makes it very hard for the firearm to be taken away from you and used on you. Which if things had gone differently I believe could easily have happened.
Old November 22, 2021, 10:45 AM   #6
AlongCameJones

Can a single-point sling allow the rifle to be fired from the hip? The sling on army M16's was just a plain ol' 2-point setup and it cetainly wasn't quick-adjustible.

Ideally, I don't want somebody to take my rifle away when s___ hits the fan yet I want the rifle loose enough for as many difefrent shooting positions as possible.

I think I would also take cover behind something like a parked car or a building corner on the street if I could. However, that Kyle was down on his butt or on his back in the middle of the street while attacked made him a harder target. He manuevered that rifle quite well in that position. When you are low, you have defensive advantage.

Last edited by JohnKSa; November 23, 2021 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Removed off topic commentary.
Old November 22, 2021, 11:20 AM   #7
Pahoo

Cheap and simple

Quote:
What kind of sling did Kyle Rittenhouse have?
As I recall, in his testimony while stating a time-line. He mentioned the store and that he bought the most basic/cheapest sling. It served him well.

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by JohnKSa; November 23, 2021 at 12:41 AM. Reason: .
Old November 22, 2021, 02:32 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

It was "the cheapest" single point sling that the store had.
Old November 22, 2021, 05:09 PM   #9
Sharkbite

It was a single point bungee type sling. I would guess “Blackhawk” or something similar.

The evolution of slings went from the simple carry strap it sounds like the OP used in the Military to 3 point slings to single point to the currently in vogue, 2 point adjustable slings.

That style sling, combined with the proper training in its use, makes a pretty versatile setup.

For a while a 2point that could be converted to a single point was all the rage a few years ago. Todays 2 point slings do everything you need to do with a sling. Handgun transitions, climbing ladders, hands on combatives, shoulder transitions, all easy to do with the 2point slings made today. Very different from the Mil slings of the 80’s and 90’s.
Old November 23, 2021, 12:43 AM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

I've performed some cleanup work on this thread.

Try to stay on topic.
Old November 23, 2021, 07:57 AM   #11
zincwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
I've performed some cleanup work on this thread.

Try to stay on topic.
Gotcha. As noted a single point. Reposting a a vid from In range which goes through the various sling types. Its really helpful. PLus one can see why he had the problems with the one point bouncing around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdUfsYinS-k
Old November 25, 2021, 07:49 PM   #12
shafter

I don't recall offhand what kind he had, but in my opinion two-point is the way to go.