The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 4, 2001, 05:17 PM   #1
B9mmHP

I have read all the mfg`s info why they have the best, but I would like some input from those who have used the ammo, done some tests, know some one that did.

This will be for Self-Defence so cost is no problem, a $7 or $100 dollar a box makes no matter just what is the best.
I have looked at most of the Mfg`s adds.

Hornady XTP 90 grs.

Triton Hi-Vol 90 grs. +p

Remington Golden Saber 120 grs.

Winchester Supreme SXT 95 grs.

Federal Hydra-Shock 90 grs.

Magsafe 60 grs.

They all sound real good, but I may be betting my life on one of them. Any input would be of help.
Yes I know a bigger gun, my handle may clear that up. but sometimes you may need to use something smaller.

PS; I use Hornady XTP 124 grs. in my HP.
Old May 4, 2001, 08:54 PM   #2
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. I, too, like the XTP bullet in 9mm, but loaded to higher than normal velocities for best expansion/penetration in living tissue. I fear that you may be disappointed in it in .380ACP.

You do get a bit more from the +P loadings, but there's only so much that can safely be done in a blowback action as are most .380ACPs. Even Marshall and Sanows stats back this private observation up if you believe them. I tend to, but some don't.

In tests I've done in wetpack and water, the following expanding rounds actually expanded from a Walther PP:

Federal 90gr JHP, Federal 90 gr HydraShok, Winchester 85 gr Silvertip as well as the CorBon 90 gr JHP +P. I have NOT tried the Golden Sabers in this caliber.

I would pick the one that fed flawlessly as reliability is your first concern. I would then see which grouped the best.

Best.

Old May 5, 2001, 03:52 AM   #3
Arizona Fusilier

Always test for reliability, but I recommend the Silvertip.
Old May 5, 2001, 08:21 AM   #4
Turk

My only choice it the Fed Hydrashock and this because it's the only one that will function with relibility in my 380 auto. I have an AMT 380 Backup and problem is the magazines won't allow loading and not get stuck in the mag. FMJ works perfectly. The mags. will only work if I put the first two round of FMJ and the top three in the Hydra shock.

My personal choice is the Speer Gold Dot line. A few years back I did a pretty extensive testing of different manufactures of bullets comparing the expansion, wt. retenion and pentration etc. etc. The Gold Dots always expanded and had the highest wt. retenion.

Over all they are my first choice. In my BHP I carry +P 124 gr. GDHP. and the same for my other carry guns 40 S&W and 45 ACP.

If your gun functions with the GD give them a try.

Turk
Old May 5, 2001, 10:19 AM   #5
Coltdriver

Do a search on this title:

I want SMALLEST most RELIABLE .380?

The person that initiated, Jody Hudson, describes the Triton Quik Shok as the most devastating round in extensive real world experimenting.

I got some and tried them in a Mustang and a Pony and they are an excellent, manageable, accurate round for me. It is the round I switched to for my daily CC.
Old May 5, 2001, 10:22 AM   #6
B9mmHP

thanks

This gets me to a starting point. I will start with the Winchester Silver Tip since the Winchester FMJ feeds real well, very good groups also 13 rounds in a 2" group at 6yds from a rest. So if the JHP feeds and groups as well I may quit with it.? No maybe not I need to test at least two more.

Thanks for the help.

Just seen your post Coltdriver will check out the search.
Old May 5, 2001, 11:18 AM   #7
MatthewM

I haven't tried them, but it may be that the Triton Quck-Shock is the best in bullets that break apart and the Triton Hi-Vel is the best hollow point.

Since a .380 won't have a real big punch, I would lean toward the Quick-Shock with it's three wound channels. I have a 45 & will buy both & have trouble deciding which to use.

* Aim well & shoot 3 times. That'll work no matter what.
Old May 5, 2001, 05:25 PM   #8
Rosco Benson

Allow me to suggest "ball". Feed reliability is unsurpassed and, with the .380, the extra penetration may be more important than a bit of expansion.

Rosco
Old May 5, 2001, 08:45 PM   #9
B9mmHP

This gets more confusing the more I read. I did the search Coltdriver recomended, I also looked at others.
I checked out Tritons web site, the Quick-Shock and the Hi-Vol. The Hi-Vol is a JHP the Quick-Shock is a JHP also but can/will fragment. They both have the same ballistic. They say the Hi-Vol will penatrate clothing etc. And make special mention to the .380.
And as Rosco Benson suggests the ball (FMJ) may be better for penetration, as others have said during my search.
So maybe the the Triton Hi-Vol JHP may be the answer,if it expandes that is fine, if it dont then I have a FMJ, sort of. The ballistics are the same for both Quick-Shock and Hi-Vol and more volosity than most FMJ, so the Hi-Vol should penetrate as deep as the FMJ. (just my ass/u/ming)
If the Tritons feed & group well as the FMJ dose out of my Llama, maybe I should buy both Quick-Shock and Hi-Vol, feed the mag, first with the Hi-Vol and alternate with the Quick-Skock etc?
(And as MatthewM says aim well shoot 3 times) The third shot to the head.

I would like some comment of the alternating of the two, or anything else.
Old May 6, 2001, 12:48 PM   #10
Rob96

I would have to suggest the Federal HydraShoks 90gr loading in .380.
Old May 6, 2001, 12:57 PM   #11
tonyz

I use Federal Hydra-Shock 90 grs and Winchester Silver Tips
Staggered in the magazine both feed very well in my 380's and I get too types of penitration and expansion this way.
From my research I have found the Federal Hydra-Shock 90Gr
were the most recommended.

Tony z
Old May 6, 2001, 02:56 PM   #12
johnwill

For my Colt Mustang Pocketlite, I use the Remington GS 102gr round. I find it feeds well, and I get decent accuracy from it.
Old May 6, 2001, 03:48 PM   #13
David Blinder

I'll agree with Roscoe on ball ammo. In order to be effective for self-defense, you have to penetrate far enough to hit something vital. The .380 is marginal in the first place so I'd want to make sure it's reliable (ball) and penetrates (ball).
Old May 6, 2001, 05:52 PM   #14
swatman

I began with carrying the Hydra shok, 90 gr bullet and ended up carrying the 102 gr Golden saber. The expansion due to the hi performance jacket with the GS is pretty good and it seems to have the best to offer in terms of penetration in that caliber as far as hollowpoints go. Just be sure to test the ammo and make sure it's reliable.
There is no 120 gr in that bullet that I know of..only the 102

www.humanityonhold.com/intifada.html
Old May 6, 2001, 09:50 PM   #15
David Scott

Have you considered Cor-Bon's .380 +P? It's a 90 grain JHP that makes 1050 fps and 22 fpe out of a 3.3 inch barrel. Hot stuff as .380s go.
Old May 6, 2001, 11:19 PM   #16
Dave R

I read a lot about this, because I carry a .380. Different writers have different preferences, but all of the "premium" HPs seem to me to perform pretty similar--Hornaday, Hydra-Shok, Cor-bon, Silvertips, Gold Dots, Golden Sabre, etc.

My choice is the 102gr Golden Sabre for 3 reasons. First, they've been 100% reliable in my pistol to date. Second, they are the most accurate of the bunch I have tested, in my pistol. Third, in tests they have good penetration in addition to good expansion.

Results in your pistol may vary.
Old May 7, 2001, 12:16 PM   #17
Jager1

I use Silvertips as the first 3 rounds in the first magazine and the rest is all FMJ as are both spare magazines in the summer. Winter earns a full mag of FMJ.

Low velocity and bullet weight tend to combine into a projectile that does not sufficiently penetrate. Tack on the "expansion" requirement made in most circles and you surely will not penetrate enough in most instances using a .380. The only saving grace is that most .380 ammunition will not expand reliably and routes as 'FMJ' anyway.
Old May 7, 2001, 03:26 PM   #18
denfoote

When I was carrying a .380, I was loading with Cor-Bon .308+P (yeah, I know it's a misnomer, but that is what they call it.) which left the barrel at 1050fps. (or so they say) Of course, this was a Makarov, so recoil was not a problem. Pretty good stuff. It fed reliably, and the few spent bullets that I managed to find were nicely mushroomed. I know this is a highly un-scientific study, but it's the best I can do. In fact, I still carry both the Cor-Bon, and the Makarov, just in 9x18mm.
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old May 8, 2001, 10:35 AM   #19
Alex Johnson

The idea of using ball isn't a bad onee, but if you want hollowpoints you might look at the blazer 88 grain hollowpoints. At nine dollars for a box of 50 they are cheap and have proved reliable in my Llama .380 and also in my dad's AMT. Of course if cost is not object than you have taken away a big part of their appeal, but I find it comforting to know that I can shoot 500 of them for $100 rather than spend the $100 on 200 Hydra Shoks.
Old May 8, 2001, 11:37 AM   #20
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

90 gr hdyra shocks.. expansion is VERY reliable with this round and 8 inches of penetration is possible.(with a body shot) This is a very destructive little cartridge but its not great on heavy bone. If you hit heavy bone this round won't penetrate very far. Likewise a shot through dense muscle (like an arm/leg) will expand the bullet and it may not have enough energy to keep going into the body. However, through the ribs this bullet will go about 8 inches into the vitals.

If that's not deep enough for you consider ball ammo, the hotter the better. I think Fiocchi still makes the hottest ball load for 380 available.

I've used a few other brands of ammo, including ultramax 88 gr. HP (which seemed really dirty and had a lot of flash) and a variety of "ball" ammo. Federal seemed to be the most consistant load i've used.

BTW my 380 is an FEG Pa-63 (apk)

Old May 8, 2001, 11:54 AM   #21
B9mmHP

thank you all for the info

Well I have decided what I am going to do.Later this summer when the Watermelon season is in full swing I am going to buy a dozen or so and run some tests.

What I plan to do is cut some wood strips about 3/4" X 3/8" to simulate a rib cage, soak them in water so they will bend easer around the melon, wrap a couple old shirts and some heavy leather around to simulate clothing and a jacket. I will leave it loose. I may even wrap some with double leather.

I`m not sure yet which ones to test yet but probly.
Federal Hydra-Shock 90 grs.
Triton Quick-Shock & Hi-Vol 90 grs +P.
Winchester Silver Tip 85 grs.
Cor-Bon 90 grs +P
All in JHP. Then a couple in FMJ. Hmmm! looks expensive

I will post the results when I finish some time this summer.
Old May 8, 2001, 04:28 PM   #22
LIProgun

My vote goes to the 102 grain Rem Golden Saber. In marginal calibers like the .380 I want penetration. Expansion is desirable, but secondary to reaching the vitals. The GS should penetrate deeper than other JHPs and, unlike hardball, has a decent chance of expanding.

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.