The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 25, 2002, 01:52 PM   #1
Drjones

The LAST holster you'll ever need!!!

Wow. So I just got this holster: http://www.action-direct.com/defender.htm

All I can say is WOW. Carries my full size Beretta 96 like a champ! I can barely tell its there! Also holds a spare mag in an easily accessible fashion. No "pocket" like thunderwear; its an actual holder. Keeps the mag securely facing whatever direction you like.

Comfort? Ha! This holster wrote the book on comfort!!!

You know those back support belts the guys at Home Depot wear? Well, picture wearing one of those only with a bit more weight attached to it.

This could truly be the holster to end all holsters, at least for those who need more concealment than a OWB holster.

Also, I was thrilled to discover that the retention strap pictured on the site is NOT permanently attached to the belt! Its one piece of "hook" velcro, which can be removed and is infinitely adjustable.

Why it has everything else beat:

1) Holds ANY gun. ANY. There are two different models, one for smaller guns (.380's and such) and the other for larger guns (med. to large frame revolvers and autos.)

Therefore, the need for a separate holster for every gun you carry (or would like to carry) is negated.

2) Comfort. The 4" wide elastic disttibutes the weight around your entire waist. I really doubt any leather could do as well. (Any of you guys have 3 or 4" leather belts? Riiiiiight....)

3) Inexpensive!!! For only $35 (shipping INCLUDED!) you get this great holster!!! Custom leather rigs can easily run into the hundreds of dollars.

Now for two minor areas for improvement:

1) No sweat panel.

2) Can't really holster one-handed. Not a big deal, IMO. All you do to reholster with this is stick your thumb in the slot, and stick the muzzle of the gun in, and you're in.

Leaving for the day, I'll post more when I get back.

Drjones
Old August 25, 2002, 03:47 PM   #2
youngun

Have you seen the bellyband or thunderwear, or any of the others?
I wonder how it they all compare.
I've thought about getting one of these for "deep concealement," but just haven't.
Old August 25, 2002, 04:22 PM   #3
Drjones

Youngun: I guess this essentially is a "bellyband." Yes, I know of thunderwear, but haven't tried them out. I think this is much better because:

1) Wider belt than anything else on the market. (Including Thunderwear) Supports and distributes weight better.

2) Actual holster and mag pouch, as opposed to two large pockets in thunderwear. This makes for more secure carry. Ever had a gun flopping against your body, esp. your privates? Not fun!

--------------

Some more stuff I wanted to add:

Just got back from running some errands, and man, this thing is GREAT!!! Again, I wish it had a sweat panel, but maybe I'll be able to improvise something...

Anyhow, it is super comfortable with my Beretta 96. Previously, I was using a kydex tuckable from FIST. That is a good product as well, however, when worn in my preferred position of about 1 o'clock, the muzzle portion of the holster would pinch my "gun." Not fun.

No such problem with this holster. Some people I was with the other day said "man, you look kinda stiff getting out of the car. You ok?" It was quite awkward getting in and out of cars with the kydex, trying to move so that it wouldn't pinch me. This problem is no more with the Defender.

It is agreed that the closer the gun is to your body, all the better for concealment. Well, you are NOT going to find another holster that carries the gun closer to your body than this thing!!! (Unless perhaps you superglue the gun to your hip, but I'm not sure what sort of presentation times you would get with that. )

Anyhow, overall I'm thrilled with this product, and for anyone looking for the ultimate in a concealment holster, look no further.

Drjones
Old August 25, 2002, 07:40 PM   #4
CWL

How many years have you worn this holster?
Old August 25, 2002, 07:45 PM   #5
Drjones

Just got it. Why?
Old August 25, 2002, 11:31 PM   #6
blades67

Because it won't be the last holster you'll ever need.

Newbies can get excited, huh?

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old August 26, 2002, 12:42 AM   #7
aikidoka - mks

I got the defender for my walther ppk/s because I needed something quick and inexpensive.

I'll agree with most of the postives stated but I'm going to add a couple negatives from my experience.

The flexibility of placement allowed me to find that i would like to carry at about 4 o'clock on my strong side. Problem is that I cant really get a secure FBI type of cant which for me is important in this position.

The holster is open on the bottom - which allows for more firearms but the barrel of my handgun can dig into me at times because of this. Im 6'0" and 178lbs so not much padding on my body.

I like the low profile of the hoslter but Im thinking i need a bit more thickness for my own comfort. That is a trade-off and I guess I will see how concealability is affected when I get a leather holster.

For me it was a good first buy and has allowed me to learn how I like to carry. Now if they had a upgraded version, say with a kydex or padded nylon holster that you could adjust the cant on then I would be happy. I do like the magazine pouch and being able to tuck a shirt in though.

Im thinking that eventually I will get a milt sparks versa max II when I have the money. Of course then I have to figure out where to store the extra magazine when im in shirt tuck mode.

I did think maybe I could buy a nylon holster with a magazine pouch and then attach it to the defender when I needed to tuck the shirt in as an interim measure until I can afford a versa max II. What do you guys think?

Mark
Old August 26, 2002, 10:20 AM   #8
Mikul

I've been wearing one for nearly two years. I can wear anything and still carry completely concealed: tucked-in, tucked-out, above the waistband like a standard IWB or below the waistband for times of necessary discretion.

I have mine situated on my hips instead of my belly which makes it a lot more comfortable and allows the use of my underwear as padding.

Another wonderful feature of this is that when you visit the bathroom, you don't have a 2lb gun flopping on your belt. It stays in position.
Old August 27, 2002, 02:06 PM   #9
No4Mk1

So what about a full size USP? The manufacturer doesn't list this as a "fit", but then they also don't list the full size Beretta 96 as a "fit" either. Do any of you that cary this think it would work with the USP?

Thanks!

Lee.

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com
Old August 27, 2002, 02:09 PM   #10
Drjones

Email them. I got a fast response.

From what I recall, a full size USP is a touch bigger than the 96, however it is quite a bit lighter.

I think it would work.
Old August 27, 2002, 09:47 PM   #11
Stray1

Blade67,

The "Newbie" comment was not called for. Way to discourage him from posting.
Old August 28, 2002, 08:44 AM   #12
No4Mk1

Well, the "newbie" comment didn't discourage me from ordering one based on this review. Maybe that's 'cause I'm a newbie myself!

I'll add my comments to the thread when it arrives. By the way, customer service was VERY quick to respond, and said that the large model would fit my USP. Guess I'll find out soon!

HL.

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com
Old August 28, 2002, 12:47 PM   #13
Mikul

The full-sized USP is almost certain to fit. A large frame revolver or Desert Eagle probably won't. I use mine for a CZ-75 which isn't on their list either.
Old August 28, 2002, 08:11 PM   #14
Nanaimo Barr

any comments on how they work under sweat pants?

(looking at stuffing a Ruger P95 in it)
Old August 28, 2002, 08:22 PM   #15
Drjones

I've worn this with regular shorts, and shorts with an elastic waistband. Works perfectly. I see no reason why sweats won't work, unless they have "I'M WEARING A GUN" printed on them.

With this holster, it truly does NOT matter what you are wearing. Hell, wear a dress if you really want!

Drjones
Old August 28, 2002, 08:28 PM   #16
MR.G

Tried one of those a couple of years ago, and ended up sending it back. Could not figure out how to wear it with a shirt tucked in without the gun digging me when I sat down. Also could not position it so that the gun was completely concealed beneath my clothes, and was still easily accessable. Wish it would have worked for me. Would be a nice way to carry.
Old August 28, 2002, 08:51 PM   #17
WESHOOT2

GOT SOME SPARKS

But I'm willing to experiment....with Galco and Alessi and Rosen....and Fobus....and Uncle Mike's.
Old August 28, 2002, 09:14 PM   #18
CWL

We're not slamming you drjones, just winking a bit by your "last holster you'll ever need!!!" comment.

Most of us who have been around for a while have a trunk full of holsters.
Old August 28, 2002, 09:27 PM   #19
KPS

I bought a Defenter a couple years back when I first started carrying.It worked great for my SW-99 but when I sold that and bought a PO P-12, it just couldn't hold the weight.I ended up buying one of Gunslingers bellybands and I found that 100% better.I now wear a Smartcarry for super discreet carry.It held my P-99 w/o a problem and now my G30.I only wish the Defender would be the last holster I would need.
Old August 28, 2002, 09:28 PM   #20
Drjones

Mr. G: Holsters such as this are "deep concealment." The compromise you make for concealment is a little delay in presentation.

I think I'll take the extra .5 second or so as opposed to being completely unarmed!

As with anything, its practice, practice, practice...

They really aren't that slow.
Old August 28, 2002, 09:29 PM   #21
Drjones

KPS: What is the difference between the Defender and the Gunslinger?

Where can I find the Gunslinger band at?

Thanks
Old August 29, 2002, 02:08 PM   #22
KPS

The Gunslinger is a bit wider and has some grippy material behind the gun to keep it in place.They claimed that it would hold the weight of a DE.I had no problem carrying my full-size 1911 around.Here's a not so great pic.
Old August 29, 2002, 08:25 PM   #23
blades67

Quote:
Hell, wear a dress if you really want!
Who do you think we are, Donahue?

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old August 29, 2002, 09:18 PM   #24
Drjones

Quote:
Who do you think we are, Donahue?

I was thinking more "Jerry Springer..." :P
Old August 30, 2002, 04:30 PM   #25
mercop

I have been carrying my BUG a Taurus Moderl 85 in one over my vest for two years under my uniform shirt. NO ONE has ever spotted it.